Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GOP Repealing ObamaCare ---- WHY?

• 04-01-2017 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭

Well the first thing the GOP are at with their complete majority in congress, senate and and Trumpski is repealing Obamacare (apart from trying to not have any eithics :rolleyes:)

What makes this so important for the GOP to prioritize this over jobs security etc, why do they want to take healthcare off about 30 million people and with no plan for any replacement??? In fact to repeal it it could cost the US taxpayer about €330 billion:eek:

What is the GOP's problem with it?

As far as I can see its just because Obama and the Dems introduced it, if its such bad value and a complete f**k up then people wouldn't sign up for it let the free market decide if its good or not? But as it is apparently if you include all children etc people covered under the ACA programme its about 30 million people. I'm sure health care providers wouldn't be happy loosing 30 million customers either.

I know there were teething problems as premiums increased recently but I have read somewhere that they have settled now and even better people health is starting to improve and from the article below they surveyed people in red states.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/09/upshot/obamacare-appears-to-be-making-people-healthier.html

The whole thing baffles me:confused:

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Have premiums settled at their higher price point, or have they settled back to their previous price point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Well they are settling at their higher price point I assume, but I presume also that they are lower than if you you went out private and if you had a precondition then f*** off.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its going to directly effect the rust belt low wage workers that trump relied on to win the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Its going to directly effect the rust belt low wage workers that trump relied on to win the election.

He'll probably get them to think it's China's/Mexico's fault. :rolleyes:

EDIT: On a more serious note, I can't help but think of how the Tea Party built up steam among working class whites thanks to right-wing astroturfing back when Obamacare was being drawn up. If that astroturfing worked once, why pass up the opportunity to use it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The GOP have no idea what they are going to replace it with. You can be sure that no one will benefit except the very few people with investments in medical insurance companies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Not myself on expert on our own, as opposed to the US Health system, but from a mainstream/anti-Trump US conservative site the core issue with the Affordable Care Act is that
    "
    The Democrats promised something very unlikely: That we’d provide more health-care coverage for more people and spend less money doing it — and that the typical annual health-insurance premium for an American family would decline substantially, by an average of $2,500 a year. The opposite is happening: Premium prices have gone up, and they are expected to go up by 25 percent in the coming year. That’s an average of 25 percent: Some places will see much steeper increases.

"
    - http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/441432/why-obamacare-doesnt-work

Thus it is not really much a stretch of the imagination that the standard US taxpayer would not be too keen on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

ECO_Mental wrote: »

The whole thing baffles me:confused:

Then I shall simplify it for you. Obamacare is a bad idea. Some people may not want to pay for health insurance. Instead, they may wish to save cash to cover health costs in the future. Also, it is better to leave health care and insurance exclusively to the private sector and give people the freedom to decide whether or not they wish to avail of such things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

How was it paid for? Were taxes raised, or?

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Manach wrote: »
    Not myself on expert on our own, as opposed to the US Health system, but from a mainstream/anti-Trump US conservative site the core issue with the Affordable Care Act is that

Thus it is not really much a stretch of the imagination that the standard US taxpayer would not be too keen on this.

An article from a conservative anti-obamacare site. They've been against it since before it was introduced.

There havent been any 25% increases and neither will there be. Its pre-election fear mongering.

Also, it is better to leave health care and insurance exclusively to the private sector and give people the freedom to decide whether or not they wish to avail of such things.

So you have experience of the US system before the ACA do you?

It was a mess, premiums were rising substantially every year. The old system mean individuals were completely tied to their jobs because individual plans were unaffordable unless you had an employer contributing.

Fascinating times ahead as the republicans roll back all the reforms. There WILL be trump voters in the east that will die because of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭johnp001

Manach wrote: »
    "
    The Democrats promised something very unlikely: That we’d provide more health-care coverage for more people and spend less money doing it — and that the typical annual health-insurance premium for an American family would decline substantially, by an average of $2,500 a year. The opposite is happening: Premium prices have gone up, and they are expected to go up by 25 percent in the coming year. That’s an average of 25 percent: Some places will see much steeper increases.

"
    - http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/441432/why-obamacare-doesnt-work

I agree, many GOP politicians have consistently stated their position is to repeal Affordable Healthcare act and were returned to Congress on this platform in the last election so it is hardly surprising that this is the action they took.

johnp001 wrote: »
    I agree, many GOP politicians have consistently stated their position is to repeal Affordable Healthcare act and were returned to Congress on this platform in the last election so it is hardly surprising that this is the action they took.

Yes. But the "low information" voters who will be most impacted by the repeal believed trump's promise to replace it with "something amazing".

Now it turns out the republicans have no plans for any replacement but they're going ahead with the repeal. Twenty Million poor people will have their healthcare taken away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭johnp001

Yes. But the "low information" voters who will be most impacted by the repeal believed trump's promise to replace it with "something amazing".

Now it turns out the republicans have no plans for any replacement but they're going ahead with the repeal. Twenty Million poor people will have their healthcare taken away.

I am not sure what you mean by "low information" voters.
    If you look at the link provided by Manach above there would seem to be an "information based" reason for supporting political candidates who ran on a platform of repealing the act.
    Many voters who believed Obama's promises of affordable healthcare and were disappointed with the reality of rising premiums, penalties and the policies impacts on full-time employment opportunities might have chosen to shift support to candidates promising the repeal of the policy in this election and that would be an information based shift of support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

Obamacare was a good start but it's a highly flawed system. Like most things from Obama, the idea was good but it was poorly thought out. Let's see what the GOP want to do to Obamacare before we condemn them. Trump seems to want to keep some of the better aspects of Obamacare so let's not lose the run of ourselves just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

We've been hearing from the Republicans about replacing ACA since 2010 and Trump since he's been campaigning. So they've had 7 years to come up with a plan. Where is it? The answer is that they have no idea. In the end they will either repeal it and not replace it leaving big problems for the 20 million or so people it covers. Or they will leave it as is saying it is too hard to handle and will keep blaming the democrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

ObamaCare failed for a number of reasons. We’ve recently been seeing heart-attack level premium increases. Across the country we are witnessing fewer choices as major carriers are fleeing the marketplace because the government-run system is set up in a way that insurers will never be profitable as it forced insurers into providing overly expensive, soup-to-nuts policies that people can’t afford. It failed because the penalties for not getting insurance ($695 per adult) is too low when compared to the skyrocketing premium costs, and far far less than what would be paid for coverage. And it failed because it allowed people to sign up after they got sick, and put off expensive procedures to when they can switch the next year for a better policy in order to pay all the medical bills, then switch back to a cheap policy the following year.

ObamaCare needs to be replaced with a more flexible system that lets insurers offer a wider range of plans so the consumer, not the government, dictates what's best for them. A system that removes the current job-killing mandates that discourage companies from hiring and reducing workers hours. And instead of gearing subsidies to incomes, let those not covered through an employer receive tax credits to help finance their insurance purchases on the open market. And allow insurers to sell policies across state lines which would produce competitive pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bscan86

InTheTrees wrote:
    An article from a conservative anti-obamacare site. They've been against it since before it was introduced.

InTheTrees wrote:
    There havent been any 25% increases and neither will there be. Its pre-election fear mongering.

A work colleague of mine has a brother in new York and his health insurance bill has increased by over 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

What happens to you in the US if you have no health insurance and get diagnosed with something that requires hospitalisation and/or surgery? I assume you get treatment got get hit with an unpayable bill for same that will attempt to be collected via the full force of the law?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 81,518 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Inquitus wrote: »
    What happens to you in the US if you have no health insurance and get diagnosed with something that requires hospitalisation and/or surgery? I assume you get treatment got get hit with an unpayable bill for same that will attempt to be collected via the full force of the law?

I went for an MRI last year. Still have a $2k bill outstanding that nobody has called me about. I had applied for sponsorship because I have no ability to pay as I'm in college. Never heard anything back so either they already scrubbed it or they don't care. The radiology department though still calls me every other week for their $250 cut

Overheal wrote: »
    I went for an MRI last year. Still have a $2k bill outstanding that nobody has called me about. I had applied for sponsorship because I have no ability to pay as I'm in college. Never heard anything back so either they already scrubbed it or they don't care. The radiology department though still calls me every other week for their $250 cut

Did you opt to pay the fine rather than get the federal mandated health care insurance? And in your case it seems if they 'scrubbed it,' the cost of your procedure will ultimately be paid by us who buy insurance -- in the form of higher premiums.

Bscan86 wrote: »
    A work colleague of mine has a brother in new York and his health insurance bill has increased by over 50%.

Really? Need a bit more information. When was this? What kind of plan was it?

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I answered you. It was a fear piece by a conservative news outlet written last October before the election and it was speculating that premiums would rise 25%.

How do I respond to their speculation except to say it is now the open enrollment period and I'm not seeing premiums' up by 25%.

But you are presumably?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,518 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Amerika wrote: »
    Did you opt to pay the fine rather than get the federal mandated health care insurance? And in your case it seems if they 'scrubbed it,' the cost of your procedure will ultimately be paid by us who buy insurance -- in the form of higher premiums.

According to medicare.gov I have an exemption from the fine.
    Really? Need a bit more information. When was this? What kind of plan was it?

It's anecdotal, I wouldn't worry much. As is my own experience.

Overheal wrote: »
    According to medicare.gov I have an exemption from the fine.
    So let me get this straight. You don’t purchase medical insurance – therefore passing the costs for your care onto the rest of us in the form of increased premiums, you don’t pay the fine, yet you go to a college who’s cost are listed at in-state residency of $28,314, and out-of-state residency of $47,296, per year.

Have you ever heard of something called a part-time job?

• Advertisement

Advertisement