Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Fitness test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭scrabble1498

Hi guys, any idea if the reduced requirement for the push pull test if you get less than 3 minutes in the obstacle force is still in? An op posted info up on it last year but can't find it on the Garda website. A friend failed the push pull test...she's super small so it's a real struggle...anyone any tips???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

Hi guys, any idea if the reduced requirement for the push pull test if you get less than 3 minutes in the obstacle force is still in? An op posted info up on it last year but can't find it on the Garda website. A friend failed the push pull test...she's super small so it's a real struggle...anyone any tips???

Heya I'm 5ft 3 and passed my PCT today only because of the compensation, if you do the obstacle course in less than 3 mins you get a 10% discount on the push pull, so instead of needing to hit 25kg force you gotta get 22.5kg, its all in the technique and getting down to the gym and pushing yourself as much as you can with weights but tell her it can be done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭scrabble1498

Thanks Dublingirl88, that's good to hear! She did the obstacle course in less than 3 mins but only got 19kg in the push pull - told her that she needs to focus on weights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

yea thats what I got on my first go of the machine on the open day then my second turn on the open day after changing my stance and technique got 20kg even with losing balance mid way through, 4/5 weeks of a personal trainer kicking my ass on the weights I got 23.5kg there today.

Get her to work on the chest press machine starting at the heaviest she can do for 2-4 sets, then go one weight lighter and do 6 and go lower with 6-8 sets and go lighter and do 8-10 and so on despite the lighter weights it gets harder because your sets increase, the lat pull down machine is another that I used too, and I also used the chest press backwards to simulate the 'pull' part of the test... Can't really go into much more detail with what i did as I may not explain it correctly through here and wouldnt want to cause your friend an injury....

I was fortunate that my local gym had an offer of 1 free 30min PT session per week but because of the disadvantage with my height I would have gladly paid for it as it does help you push harder and get results!

Best of luck to your friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jarvisk12

I would advise anyone doing the PCT to do some specific training beforehand hand, it's not as easy as it seems,the push pull is a leveller for smaller people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭vodkacz

Hi,

I wanted to refresh this topic a bit. I got through the September recruitment 2016 and made it to stage 4 now. Could someone recommend a best app now available for the beep test?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Vamp369

vodkacz wrote: »
    Hi,

I wanted to refresh this topic a bit. I got through the September recruitment 2016 and made it to stage 4 now. Could someone recommend a best app now available for the beep test?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jsdev.bleepTestLite

I used this one (Android). I found it was great and when I did the actual test I still had some left in the tank to go for a few more laps after 8.5. Don't just rely on the app tho, do some 2-3 mile runs as well. Best of luck.

Thanks a lot Vamp369. Any advice on push/pull machine? Whats the best way to pass this successfully? Is it really strength or rather the right technique that matter or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Can anyone confirm if this is the correct beep test used duing the shuttle run assessment?

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/images/btest2.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Vamp369

Thanks a lot Vamp369. Any advice on push/pull machine? Whats the best way to pass this successfully? Is it really strength or rather the right technique that matter or both?

It's mostly technique in the legs. Practicing your pushes will have your arms set for it too. A good stance at starting also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭LandT

I failed the beep test and push pull by .5kg, petrified about the retest now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

LandT wrote: »

Keep your head up mate and plough on with your training! You know what you have to do now.

Guys,

Just want to clarify something. To my understading 1 shuttle is 1x 20 m distance or is it 2x 20m ?

Guys,

Just want to clarify something. To my understading 1 shuttle is 1x 20 m distance or is it 2x 20m ?

One shuttle is cone to cone = 20mts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭DooraGirl

One week to go and the sit ups feel like Everest!!! .... just cannot seem to consistently get the numbers I need :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

DooraGirl wrote: »
    One week to go and the sit ups feel like Everest!!! .... just cannot seem to consistently get the numbers I need :(

You're probably working to a routine already but just in case you're only doing situps. Mix up your core workout routine, don't just do situps, check out the following video and incorporate some of these exercises into your prep work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJlFmxiL11s

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    You're probably working to a routine already but just in case you're only doing situps. Mix up your core workout routine, don't just do situps, check out the following video and incorporate so of these exercises into your prep work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJlFmxiL11s

Thanks a million. I'll take a proper look later but looks good. I've been doing russian twists, plank and even deadlifts too. I think once I put the timer on and bang a few out, the second my pace seems to drop, my head goes and I just know I won't get there. Such a mental battle!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Byr4now12

LandT wrote: »

How long until you get a resit? I have to repeat part of mine too , failed on Tuesday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Byr4now12 wrote: »
    How long until you get a resit? I have to repeat part of mine too , failed on Tuesday :(

so if you fail you can re do the test.

leestone wrote: »
    so if you fail you can re do the test.

Yeah you get a resit for whatever part you fail, a lot of people fail first time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Yeah you get a resit for whatever part you fail, a lot of people fail first time

Sorry to hear that! What did you fail and how much by? Am wondering if you have to reach 8.1 on the beep and you crash out at 3.3 will you even get a retest?

Elliot192 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that! What did you fail and how much by? Am wondering if you have to reach 8.1 on the beep and you crash out at 3.3 will you even get a retest?

Yeah I pulled out of the beep test at level 6 because I trained too hard leading up and my muscles were too sore in my legs. There were people dropping out at level 3 and everyone gets a retest

Yeah I pulled out of the beep test at level 6 because I trained too hard leading up and my muscles were too sore in my legs. There were people dropping out at level 3 and everyone gets a retest

Thanks for that!

Ah jesus, level 3 barely even a warm up! If people are dropping out at that level they would want to be asking themselves some serious questions!!!!

Ah jesus, level 3 barely even a warm up! If people are dropping out at that level they would want to be asking themselves some serious questions!!!!

Or they've been injured and their pct is scheduled for the day after the doctor signed them fit to train again. There's always that!

Elliot192 wrote: »
    Or they've been injured and their pct is scheduled for the day after the doctor signed them fit to train again. There's always that!

Well they clearly weren't fit to do it!!!

Dropping out at level 3 isn't even funny like. The lack of preparation there is ridiculous. when I was training for my beep test, I wasn't just looking to pass 8.8, I was looking to pass 9.8.

People need to start taking the physical seriously and aim to pass first time around. Retests aren't just there as safety nets for people who fail to prepare and give it a half arsed attempt.

Gnr_Iver wrote: »
    Dropping out at level 3 isn't even funny like. The lack of preparation there is ridiculous. when I was training for my beep test, I wasn't just looking to pass 8.8, I was looking to pass 9.8.

People need to start taking the physical seriously and aim to pass first time around. Retests aren't just there as safety nets for people who fail to prepare and give it a half arsed attempt.

Here here. Couldn't agree more!!! No surprised on the day. Everyone knows whats ahead of them... people there the day I passed openly saying they were on the lash over Christmas and failing. Didn't even care..

Here here. Couldn't agree more!!! No surprised on the day. Everyone knows whats ahead of them... people there the day I passed openly saying they were on the lash over Christmas and failing. Didn't even care..

That annoys me so much considering how many people are out there breaking their backs to train to a high standard.:mad: and then you have people taking up spaces just to fail.

Like I was never built to run, I love going gym and lifting weights so I had to train hard to get my cardio up to a standard where I could pass, not just fall over the line if ya get me.

So, I can never understand how people can neglect their fitness.

• Advertisement

Gnr_Iver wrote: »
    That annoys me so much considering how many people are out there breaking their backs to train to a high standard.:mad: and then you have people taking up spaces just to fail.

Like I was never built to run, I love going gym and lifting weights so I had to train hard to get my cardio up to a standard where I could pass, not just fall over the line if ya get me.

So, I can never understand how people can neglect their fitness.

Wrecks my head too!! I made serious sacrifices to make sure I was up to standard and above and still maintaining that standard for Templemore. Do people not realise we are given fitness tests in college too?!

Advertisement