Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fermenter insulation

Options
  • 03-01-2017 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a newly built shed which is essentially going to be the man cave, so have a kit ready to go to give the brewing another go, now I have the space and more of an idea of the beers I like to drink. Previously, I had space inside the house, so actually keeping brews cool was more an issue!

I have power, but the shed is unheated. I have the STC100 ready to wire up to control the brew belt that came with the kit I got a few years ago. I have aero board for underneath the fermenter (it will be on a bench, not on the floor).

I was thinking of getting a hot water cyclinder lagging jacket for insulation (such as http://www.ie.screwfix.com/hot-water-cylinder-jacket-18-x-48.htm) as they seem cheap enough. It actually looks like it would be a neater job than a duvet or blanket, and the flame retardant nature appeals as the brewbelt will be underneath. Or is this complete overkill?

Anything else that I need to think about for shed brewing? If I do get back into it, I'll probably look at a brewing fridge as I imagine the temp swings can be fairly big in spring, summer and autumn. But I guess I'll only get back into it with some successful brews with what I can do now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

build a box/cupboard out of insulation board.

if you have space, an old undercounter fridge with a external temp controller is what many brewers use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yeah, a fridge is on the list if I can get a couple of successful brews under my belt (have left space in brewing corner for a larder fridge :) ). Having seen aeroboard go up in flames, I'm nervous about mixing it with the heating/ my own (bodge standard) electrics, in a new wooden shed tbh.

Advertisement