Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ski trip over Christmas?

• 12-12-2016 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to find out if I can go on a ski trip from the 23rd December for a week.

Are there any other boards groups up to the same this year? Any recommendations of places that have snow this time of year? I'm looking into kuhtai in Austria at the moment, but I don't really know what to expect wrt prices etc.

Cheers,

Steve.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Has it even snowed anywhere in the Alps in the last month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Steveire

This is the place I'm looking at: https://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Austria/Soll_Piste_Map.html

I can't really find info about whether it is ski-able already...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

That's soll, not kuhtai? Unless they're close?

Last I checked temps across Alps had been warm and not much natural snow fall in last two weeks, nor more predicted in next week. So I'd aim high if I was you. Soll not high, kuhtai seems to be though.

In general I think Christmas week isn't cheap but i've never been at that time of year.

I'm not following this too closely as I'm not out til February, but this is what fell in the last 7 days, http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/alps?over=none&symbols=snow&type=snow.last7days
    before that, it was 3 weeks ago.

Yep, sorry for the confusion. I looked at a few places and ended up booking the trip to Soll.

Snow forecast doesn't look great, but that's a risk I knowingly took :).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's better than last year, should be ok. :)

I'm heading to Obertauern, they were bussing in people from other resorts to there as it was one of the few places with snow last Christmas.

http://http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/snowreport.aspx/Kitzbuhel#.WFpdL_mLTIU
    This is what it's like around the corner in Kitzbuhel, I'd make sure that you have good sharp edges on those skis, looks like you will need them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Go high, Tignes, Three Valleys. Good piste skiing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pending

For anyone tempted by a last minute deal Crystal still have some great bargains for Xmas week. Several options under €300 for flights & accommodation! :-)

I think I got the last bargain for the new year week! Less than €1500 for 2, including HB and ski passes in Mayrhofen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Without wanting to sound too negative, is there any snow in Mayrhofen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pending

maddness wrote: »
    Without wanting to sound too negative, is there any snow in Mayrhofen?

It's pretty safe. All except the lowest runs will be fine, and as a backup the lift pass includes Hintertux. So worst case scenario is a 20 minute free bus ride to the glacier. No off piste of course unless it dumps, or I could go with a guide up on the glacier like I did a couple of summers ago if I'm really bored with what's open.

St Johann in Tirol was also on offer... I didn't go for that one ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Jealous

Best conditions now seem to be Aosta valley and Piedemonte in Italy, both of which got a lot of snow earlier this week

Some talk of a change and snow for Austria in early new year

Otherwise aim high high high

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

In obertauern, Austria, plenty of snow, pistes are really good.. 20cm more forecast for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Steve wrote: »
    In obertauern, Austria, plenty of snow, pistes are really good.. 20cm more forecast for the weekend.

Is Christmas lovely in the resorts? Is it busy?

Christmas in the Alps has always been on the top of my wish list

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is Christmas lovely in the resorts? Is it busy?

Christmas in the Alps has always been on the top of my wish list

Yes, it's beautiful. Friday there was hardly anyone on the slopes yesterday and today it was busy.

If you can speak even the smallest amount of German, Austrian people are the best craic..

It wasn't too busy in Soll last week, but definitely worth it and a great way to spend Christmas. Conditions were not ideal, but I was fine with that as it makes sense to get experience on all sorts.

Here's some photos giving an impression of the conditions :).

IMG_20161225_133937.jpg
    IMG_20161225_155643.jpg
    IMG_20161226_085637.jpg
    IMG_20161228_153434.jpg
    IMG_20161231_101236.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

awh a Christmas xray.

Nice work, doesn't look too bad (the snow, not the fracture - don't know about that)

Heh, yeah luckily there's no fracture :). I had a bad fall on Thursday though, my last day of ski school, and couldn't ski on Friday. Knew there was that risk from the start though, so it's grand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement