Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Homestore and more lights suddenly not working :mad:

Options
  • 02-12-2016 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Bought a set of 250 lights in Homestore last year. Stuck them on the tree this evening and they worked fine. Plugged them out for an hour and when I plugged them back in they suddenly weren't working :(

Has this happened anyone else? If I bring them back at this stage and complain is there any chance they'll replace them? I'm raging! :mad:

(Ps- I know this is probably better suited to the consumer issues board but thought I'd get a better response here)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Bought a set of 250 lights in Homestore last year. Stuck them on the tree this evening and they worked fine. Plugged them out for an hour and when I plugged them back in they suddenly weren't working :(

Has this happened anyone else? If I bring them back at this stage and complain is there any chance they'll replace them? I'm raging! :mad:

(Ps- I know this is probably better suited to the consumer issues board but thought I'd get a better response here)

I got a pair last year and didn't work at all. Brought them back with the receipt and they replaced them in minutes. They were lovely about it.

If you have your receipt you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

Check the fuse in the plug. Are the lights with plug in bulbs? Could be that the main one is gone (usually white), replace that and it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

webpal wrote: »
    Check the fuse in the plug. Are the lights with plug in bulbs? Could be that the main one is gone (usually white), replace that and it should work.

When the main one is gone, it's definitely gone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Can't check the fuse because the adaptor is one of those ones that doesn't screw open and I haven't a notion where the receipt is at this stage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Brand new LED lights straight out of the box, worked fine, put them on tree, decorated it and when I sat back to admire my handiwork every other light is not working! Can't take them off without taking everything off the tree. They have a plug in adaptor and a very small black box up near where the bulbs start. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

I'd take them back and echange them. No point messing about trying to fix them. Got mine there this evening, working well so far.

So fecking annoying. I'm gonna have to strip the tree to get them off. Grrrrrrrr

heldel00 wrote: »
    So fecking annoying. I'm gonna have to strip the tree to get them off. Grrrrrrrr

Did you get them changed ? When you do get the salespeople to plug the replacement set in the shop and test before you go :)

Did you get them changed ? When you do get the salespeople to plug the replacement set in the shop and test before you go :)

I bought them online and online purchases can't be returned to stores. Feck them anyway. They are still on the tree but I can't sit scowling at it much longer. Its turning me into a bit of a grinch. I'll just have to bite the bullet, strip the tree and take off the lights. Vexing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I bought them online and online purchases can't be returned to stores. Feck them anyway. They are still on the tree but I can't sit scowling at it much longer. Its turning me into a bit of a grinch. I'll just have to bite the bullet, strip the tree and take off the lights. Vexing

Could you not just leave them in the tree for now and push a new set of lights into the tree without taking all the decorations back off.
    I did this quite a few years ago and no one noticed.

Could you not just leave them in the tree for now and push a new set of lights into the tree without taking all the decorations back off.
    I did this quite a few years ago and no one noticed.
    Great minds think alike! What way would that leave me for returning them? The docket says 14 day return but I assume if goods are faulty that time period doesn't apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Great minds think alike! What way would that leave me for returning them? The docket says 14 day return but I assume if goods are faulty that time period doesn't apply?

Oooh aah .. I have no idea. Wasn't thinking straight, of course yours are new.
    Mine were old-ish when they decided to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Is there any chance that the lights are the type with different settings and its just on a setting that only has some lights on? Apologies if you've already checked that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Not homestore but two years ago a set of lights on my tree stopped working on Christmas eve. I left them on the tree, took them off in January and brought them back to woodies, where I had bought them in October. I had no receipt but they gave me store credit for them as all the Christmas stock was gone. I bought hoover bags . . . . No idea what else to get on the day, still have some! !!

Anyway, point of my story was that the lights were faulty so they didn't contest it at all.

I also returned lights to homestore about 2 weeks ago that were missing a LED bulb, exchanged no problem.

You're entitled to new ones, I suppose it's whether you want to take the old ones off now or not

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

My main issue with Homestore & More is that any time I go there the traffic is so bad that it is hardly worth the trek. So if there happens to be a faulty product, it is just hassle going back to return it. Having said that, I always find something interesting to buy there.

Would you not just return them by post then? Then go buy a new set in the meantime. Then if they replace them, return the the replacement set and either get your money back or a credit note?

Nearest store is 40 minutes away. I think I'll leave them as they are and sort out after Xmas. If I squint my eyes I can barely notice the 240 lights that are not working!!

Well the 1000 led set my parents bought last year have at least five not lighting and a few others that are flickering by themselves , have we any comeback to the store we got them in ? They were dear enough and shouldn't be faulty so quickly ? Would the flickering me dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭kirving

Are they indoor or outdoor lights? Outdoor anything could happen to them. 0.5% not working a year later us OK going I'd say

• Advertisement

They are suitable for both outdoor and inside but they were only used inside. Tree wasn't put up until the 20th of Dec and was down on the 6th of January. Unless they got cold in the attic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Not sure, but this might help. My set of 200 LED lights (bought new last year) did not work this year when I took them down from the attic.

Out of desperation, I unplugged them from the wall socket and just removed the pin connector (see below) from the power transformer and reseated it (had to do it a few times), then plugged the lights back in and they worked, must have been a bad connection. Might be worth a shot if the connector looks like this:

Transformers_250.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

My homestore lights stopped working Christmas Eve, this is only second year. I bought lights in woodies last year and they stopped working. Bought another 3 sets this year, one stopped working after 6 days, another only half are working. Thankfully I always keep receipts, don't have homestore one though unfortunatley, 45 quid down the drain. I'll be keeping well away from these places next year and pay a bit extra. Anyone else have problems with woodies lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PJOH

They had them reduced to 10 and 15 euro Christmas eve .I brought a set back to the shop that stopped working and they exchanged without even a question. Very helpful, no receipt, no box. They knew they were theirs by the code on the lights themselves

The more expensive arnt necessarily better. My parents bought an expensive set last year used them from 20-6th of Jan and there's a good lot of the lights on them not working this year. Shop wouldn't exchange them either even though they had our details on their PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

You do know that there is a little black button on that small box on the lead to turn then on and off as well as cycle through the settings?

Yeah I do thanks, tried running a few different settings to see if it would warm them up but they got worse. We prefer to leave them on the setting were they just stay on. It's a wide tree and it's looking very sparse now. Going to pick up a cheap box in the sales to replace them. What a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

I got a set of battery operated lights in Penneys for €3 this year and they are brilliant. If I just get this year out if them I will be more than happy.

Advertisement