Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When does Christmas begin and end?

• 15-12-2016 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i know by the offical 12 days of christmas that the first day is dec 25th and the last is january 6th but it seems that more and more people like to think that christmas is over by the 27th of december. radio stations used to play christmas songs up to new years day now you will struggle to hear one even on 26th why is this? for me the christmas season starts around dec 21 st. i usually put up the christmas tree around the 20th of december and take it down on the 6th january.

but for me really the christmas season starts around the 22nd december and finishes on january 2nd. i love new years eve and new years day is a great day if you have the next day off like this year. i love st stephens day most of all though, the sport on tv. drinking on and off and an epic night that night. christmas day is grand too. dont really get christmas eve though at all. its treated very like an ordinary week night in our house

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

It finishes on Little Christmas or Women's Christmas (Nollaig na mBan).

January 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

First day 25th Dec.
    Last 12 days after that including 25th.
    12 days of Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Never ending :)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Yeah the christmas songs thing is a big bug bear of mine, some stations never play them after christmas day now, Today FM being 1 i think. Also, every second christmas song this year seems to be Mariah Carey!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Christmas starts the day you get holidays for work and probably ends after Stephens day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Most people back in work on the 2nd January.

Very hard to celebrate Christmas on the 4th and 5th for example while back in work!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,024 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

For me Christmas really begins when the schools finish up and people finish up from work. So it can range from the 21st to the 23.
    It ends on the 6th of January and I mean the full day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

1st on a Sunday so Monday 2nd is a bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

It's January 6th. 12 days of Christmas don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

For me, Christmas begins the first weekend in December and ends the day after New Years Day .......... so about a month all in all ........ and what a month! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

kleefarr wrote: »
    First day 25th Dec.
    Last 12 days after that including 25th.
    12 days of Christmas.

So Jan 5?

me? 19 Dec - Jan 1

Im finished work Dec 23 back Dec 28

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Doesn't really start or finish for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

Dickie10 wrote: »
    it seems that more and more people like to think that christmas is over by the 27th of december. radio stations used to play christmas songs up to new years day now you will struggle to hear one even on 26th why is this?

Wondered why this had become prevalent too. It's like the media hive mind decided that Christmas begins in Nov and ends at Dec 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Dickie10

at least its not me! think it must be because the media are in tow with consumerism/capitalism. after midday 25th they know the game is up and cant sell u anything at decent price so they seem to be happy to pull the plug on chrismas aroubd then, that means christmas songs get the chop too, they must be getting in the way of the latest pop songs or xfactor goon trying to make money. if u listen this year i guaruntee u the christmas songs will begin to dry up from 2pm on christmas day on radio, good luck to finding any on stephens day.

anyone listening to the raadio today? listen out for the blanking of xmas songs from tonight onwards

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Dickie10 wrote: »
    anyone listening to the raadio today? listen out for the blanking of xmas songs from tonight onwards

Yep I hate that about Irish radio stations!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Most people back in work on the 2nd January.

Very hard to celebrate Christmas on the 4th and 5th for example while back in work!

Equally hard to celebrate at the beginning of November.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I celebrate from the beginning of September. :D

• Advertisement

how r the xmas songs going?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

For me it's over from tomorrow. The focus shifts to going back to work, NYE and the year ahead. Christmas is really all about the build-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Still Christmas, whatever you're doing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

When I was a kid Christmas began with school holidays (about 18th in secondary, maybe 22nd in primary) and ended with the return to school on 7th/8th January. For adults it began I would think on Christmas Eve and went on until 6th January. Then the Church began messing around with the holidays. Once New Year's Day went and another time 6th January went. That didn't help to preserve the twelve days of Christmas. In the fifties, in a rural Irish village in the few weeks before Xmas the only signs of the coming Christmas were toys appearing in some shop windows where no toys were to be seen for the rest of the year.
    I abhor the way commerce has hijacked Xmas turning it into an orgy from late October until Xmas Eve, and then treating it as over. Don't get me wrong. I know the Christians hijacked it from the Pagans and need to bandage the finger when pointing it at Mammon. But whatever floats your boat, the Western Christian feast, the Winter Solstice, Yule, the Marxist New Year or the Orthodox Xmas, it doesn't begin in October or November and it is a vulgarity to behave as if it does. And nobody should be allowed to deprive us of the twelve days. The pagans started this lark of quasi-hibernation to keep themselves sane during the miserable northern winters.
    I can just about tolerate talk of Xmas on 1st December. In fairness to Guinness who have the very best Xmas advt, they don't show it before December. It's time to do the Xmas cards then. If you move house a few miles down the road as I did once, you assure the old neighbours that you will be seeing them regularly. The reality is that for all you will see of them you may as well have moved to Australia. The Christmas card is the way of maintaining contact.
    On 8th December country people by tradition came to town to do the Xmas shopping, and that is when the lead up should begin, the office parties, meeting up with acquaintances one hasn't met for months to have a drink and a chat etc..
    On occasions I have had to endure Christmas carols in restaurants in late October. I don't return to those establishments. You should boycott them too.
    And I make sure the Xmas tree doesn't come down until 7th January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Tree coming down tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

I know Christmas is over when I see the Easter Eggs arrive in Ryan's shop, which is any day now.
    Last year they had them at the checkout (beside the St. Patrick's Day badges) on the 3rd of Jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

feargale wrote: »
    On occasions I have had to endure Christmas carols in restaurants in late October. I don't return to those establishments. You should boycott them too.
    And I make sure the Xmas tree doesn't come down until 7th January.

Which restaurants? I'd love to find a few places that start the Christmas festivities as early as possible!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Tree coming down tomorrow.

Why? It's Christmas.

yep as i guessed havent heard one christmas song since late xmas night, none on the radio stevens day either

• Advertisement

Its done.

Advertisement