Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Its a set standard you either meet it or you don't. Your performance or knowledge of grading in a previous campaign will not help you. It's redundant. Focua on the now and task at hand. Overthinking leads to stress and stress leadsbto anxiety and anxiety leads to mistakes. It's clean slate use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

Cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Timetravel wrote: »
    It depends on the number of people who apply. More people higher score, less people lower score. Edit: also just depends on how many they plan take through to the next stages.

What he said! They generally like to take about 2,000 from IST to AC and will adjust pass mark accordingly.

The IST is predominantly there to cut the numbers down and can be a cruel mistress. You could pass this time and fail next time (I've seen it happen here a few times). Just be prepared with lots of practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Razor3677

Think I'll try the past papers that homer said when it comes to the IST, any other things that'll help prepare us newbies ?

So in relation to learning laws and legislation would any prior knowledge be required for any stage of the recruitment process? Or is this all learned at GV. And on another note for serving officers, how hard/easy is it to learn the legislation and be confident that you are accurately applying the right one to an offence.

• Advertisement

They are looking for the potential to become a police officer not the finished article. How would you feel about a bunch of know it all students buzzing with confidence if you were a trainer in GV? Again play the game, stop overthinking. Follow the guidelines given on the PSNI website and find a reputable tutor. Get confident talking to people. And be yourself, if you put up a persona they will see straight through it.

Don't worry if you get through the IST and the AC you are clever enough to grasp legislation, one foot at a time? The PSNI are well regarded for their professionalism in both the UK and abroad, you WILL be given world class training at GV. You will know your job and if you have a problem; there will always be someone to ask. You will never be alone. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. All serving officer's will tell you that learning doesn't stop at the college it is constant, if you don't know, a colleague will. Relax man, you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goodburger1

SB430 wrote: »
    Not to be too specific but I'm under 21 and now waiting on a call for the 1509 campaign. Honestly just keep a cool head during everything don't intimidated when interviewing people older in the AC and do your best. You almost have an advantage because a lot of people applying in there 30s/40s won't have been under test conditions in a long time.

I am in that age range and us oap's are at a disadvantage about test conditions but I got some maths books from the library and spent 20 mins a night doing some math, didn't find the ist a problem. It really helped.
    And we are also at an advantage as we have been doing maths 30 years more than you😂

Not to be too specific but I'm under 21 and now waiting on a call for the 1509 campaign. Honestly just keep a cool head during everything don't intimidated when interviewing people older in the AC and do your best. You almost have an advantage because a lot of people applying in there 30s/40s won't have been under test conditions in a long time.

I am in that age range and us oap's are at a disadvantage about test conditions but I got some maths books from the library and spent 20 mins a night doing some math, didn't find the ist a problem. It really helped.
    And we are also at an advantage as we have been doing maths 30 years more than you😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 SB430

Didn't mean to cause any offence there just trying to help the other guy out. Well done yourself though I know some others in that age range that found in tough because of the conditions.

They are looking for the potential to become a police officer not the finished article. How would you feel about a bunch of know it all students buzzing with confidence if you were a trainer in GV? Again play the game, stop overthinking. Follow the guidelines given on the PSNI website and find a reputable tutor. Get confident talking to people. And be yourself, if you put up a persona they will see straight through it.

Don't worry if you get through the IST and the AC you are clever enough to grasp legislation, one foot at a time? The PSNI are well regarded for their professionalism in both the UK and abroad, you WILL be given world class training at GV. You will know your job and if you have a problem; there will always be someone to ask. You will never be alone. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. All serving officer's will tell you that learning doesn't stop at the college it is constant, if you don't know, a colleague will. Relax man, you'll be grand.

Thanks Banterbus,
    Trying my best to not over think. I feel
    Confident that I know what is expected. Just have to do it now.

• Advertisement

Didn't mean to cause any offence there just trying to help the other guy out. Well done yourself though I know some others in that age range that found in tough because of the conditions.
    No offence at all taken.
    There was a smiley face added at the end of my sentence but it didn't work.
    I totally know what u mean about the age thing has its advantages and disadvantages and that's were team work comes in. All help each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

takodah wrote: »
    So in relation to learning laws and legislation would any prior knowledge be required for any stage of the recruitment process? Or is this all learned at GV. And on another note for serving officers, how hard/easy is it to learn the legislation and be confident that you are accurately applying the right one to an offence.

Im currently serving in Police Scotland and so I can only speak to my experience here. The amount of legislation you have to take in at college is huge. Having been to university I would compare it to one year of uni study crammed into a couple of months. On top of that you have drill, uniform and room inspections, practical role plays, fitness, exams etc.

If you can stay resident within GV I would highly recommend it. The amount of support from your colleagues is amazing and you bounce ideas and methods of learning off eachother to help take in the legislation.

Being a cop on the street is entirely different to what the assessors at AC will expect and although I would say I am pretty competent at my job, I will need to alter my own policing style to what they will be marking on. (If I get to AC lol)

takodah wrote: »

Im currently serving in Police Scotland and so I can only speak to my experience here. The amount of legislation you have to take in at college is huge. Having been to university I would compare it to one year of uni study crammed into a couple of months. On top of that you have drill, uniform and room inspections, practical role plays, fitness, exams etc.

If you can stay resident within GV I would highly recommend it. The amount of support from your colleagues is amazing and you bounce ideas and methods of learning off eachother to help take in the legislation.

Being a cop on the street is entirely different to what the assessors at AC will expect and although I would say I am pretty competent at my job, I will need to alter my own policing style to what they will be marking on. (If I get to AC lol)
    Cheers Robocop, very useful insight, I will most certainly want to stay resident in GV. Im glad you mention the support of other colleagues being a help as I like that aspect of the job. From what I have heard from others and on this thread that the family/friendships (whatever you want to label it) is good for the most part. 
    Thanks Again

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Space_Invader

I'm currently serving in England. Most forces including mine require you to have a police qualification which costs about £1000. It covers the main legislation and some policies and procedures. Then in Police college we would revise it and more in depth.

There is no harm at all with learning legislation prior to GV as it will give a good foundation. Just make sure when using www.legislation.gov that you tick the "geographic" box to see if it applies in NI.

The online learning prior to GV is all legislation based...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollasign

If you are interested in the legislation and want a bit of reading to do. Here is a list of some of the things I found interesting. This is by no stretch of the imagination a comprehensive list or even some of the most important parts but just some things I found Interesting to read up on.

www.legislation.gov.uk This website is brilliant for it.

Article 26 of PACE is your power of arrest (under pace) and is worth a read.
    Article 20
    Article 34 Also worth looking at.

Article 180 of the Road Traffic Order.

Section 23 Misuse of drugs Act (Northern Ireland)

Section 24 Justice and security Act NI

All just little bits that I have picked up along the way. But if your interested it can be a good read especially if it stays with you.

Think your link went a bit wonky.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

I call my old tracksuit bottoms my "Section 23's". Totally justify a stop search on anyone wearing those bad boys ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

Homer01 wrote: »
    Think your link went a bit wonky.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk

Do you know the link to the correct PACE I should be looking at? seem to find the amendments and some revisions but not the document with the full articles.

D4z wrote: »
    Do you know the link to the correct PACE I should be looking at? seem to find the amendments and some revisions but not the document with the full articles.

Is this what you're after Daz?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisi/1989/1341/contents/made#end

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

Homer01 wrote: »
    D4z wrote: »

Is this what you're after Daz?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisi/1989/1341/contents/made#end

That's the one, cheers ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Hey guys, this might be a stupid question but what is the application form like ? Is there many questions etc or is it a basic application form with just general questions? I heard there was two statements how long should they be ? Many thanks

Hey guys, this might be a stupid question but what is the application form like ? Is there many questions etc or is it a basic application form with just general questions? I heard there was two statements how long should they be ? Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Razor3677 wrote: »

Application form is fine. it's mostly pretty basic aside from the two statements, which I think have a limit of 150 words.

Yeah, pretty basic if I recall. Name, address and lots of box ticking. Mostly to ensure you meet the eligibility requirements, age, residency, etc.

The two statements may change but they are as follows. (These have mentioned many times on here and elsewhere before) They may be subject to change.

Why are you interested in becoming a police constable? (150 words max)

Outline the skills you have and how they meet the requirements of the role of a police constable (150 words max)

Merry christmas guys let's chill for a couple of weeks and get ready to hit the ground running to get our dream job and an amazing career.

Let's hope we see that "PSNI now recruiting" headline in the Belfast Telegraph soon.

Hope everyone had a good holiday period, now it's the new year hopefully we will here some news about the new campaign

Hope everyone had a good holiday period, now it's the new year hopefully we will here some news about the new campaign

Yes hopefully soon! Time to run of that turkey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Any rumours of a date?

• Advertisement

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Any rumours of a date?

I haven't heard but have noticed some of the PSNI Facebook pages have mentioned the fact recruitment is coming. Even saw a few profile pics change to the 'Make a difference' photo.

Advertisement