Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAAGO 2017

Options
  • 20-12-2016 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭

So, theres been a few changes to Gaa Go, the online subscription service for people outside Ireland to watch GAA games

From the info email that you get if you signed up before
    Some noteworthy changes from last season’s offering include:
    • A reduction in the price of a Season Pass from €160 / US$175 to €140 / US$149.
    • The introduction of a Season Pass (Installments) product, to allow customers to spread the cost of their Season Pass over four monthly payments.
    • Exclusive documentaries and programmes for Season Pass holders.
    • The introduction of personalised customer accounts via My GAAGO, allowing you to manage your subscription, personal details and preferences.
    • Streaming in higher bitrates for improved quality and user experience.
    • Customers can now take advantage of both Promo Offers and the GAAGO Club Scheme 2017 when purchasing.

For clubs overseas the GAAGO Club Scheme 2017 is now open for registration. Please visit our Club Scheme page.

And heres the rates :
    2017 SEASON PASS
    € 140

2017 SEASON PASS (INSTALLMENTS)
    € 39(monthly) - 4 payments of € 39, total € 156

with promo code LAUNCH17 valid till Friday 23 December
    Season pass - € 126
    Installments - €35.10(monthly) - 4 payments of € 35.10, total € 140.40

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Fair play, it was a bit overpriced so the reduction is to be welcomed.

Still not perfect, but it works better and costs less than in the first couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

.....and my opinion on the changes, its a move in the right direction, but nowhere near what it should or could be.

The pricing is a hard issue, with access to programming from 2 subscription services from Ireland, it can't be dirt cheap or it would be out of kilter with what access to the games in Ireland would be, but at €160 it was steep enough that you'd consider living with online radio / pints in the pub.
    Now @€;126 after promo code, its far more tempting to just bite the bullet and get it.

As for programming, I know you're getting into rights not owned by GAA, but really this RTE service should also have RTE programmes such as "thank GAA its friday" or "up for the match". The delayed BBC games should be in there too, and indeed I'd argue that they should throw in a few delayed full games on the Sunday evening or midnight Sunday (irish time) which would be perfect for the US market.

It seems regarding club matches its the same, so no club matches available at all except the club finals which is a pity. Should the All Irelands be moved to August youre then looking at a clean 6 full months with no GAA coverage at all available abroad, which is crazy to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Actually, last year the price was €160 with 25% off if you order early - so €120

This year the price is €140, with 10% off if you order early - so €126.

For me, not a reduction at all. Crafty feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭enoughtaken

Matches on GAAGO this wekend
    Slaughtneil V St Vincents
    Corofin V Dr Crokes
    Dublin V Tipperary
    Dublin V Tyrone
    Kerry V Mayo
    Cork V Clare
    Kilkenny V Waterford
    Roscommon V Donegal
    For someone working away alot it was €126 worth spent for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Going to bump this thread, interested in what people think about the service and how it's going this year.

I was buying individual matches here and there last year but decided to get the full package this year. Left it way too late and ended up paying way over the odds compared with an early buyer, but that's my own fault, no complaints.

I still think it's extortionate though, considering how few matches there actually are in a GAA season (particularly how few matches that really genuinely matter). It's more than the cost of an NFL subscription that gives you access to way more matches involving players being paid for what they do to the tune of millions.

What's particularly annoying is that they don't give a one sport option for this. I literally have no interest in football at all, except I might watch the odd match here or there after the quarter finals. That means that the overwhelming majority of matches on gaago are utterly irrelevant to me. I'm sure this is true for many people. I've no idea why a one sport option isn't available, except that they can wring more money out of people this way.

Anyway, you pay your money you take your chances. Ignoring the fact that this is obviously exploiting people who live abroad and who have literally no other choice...

After the league semi finals I sat down to watch them, wasn't able to watch live. It's one of the great things about the service that you can watch it when you feel like it. So I click into available matches. Galway V Limerick. Great. Tipperary V Wexford. Fantastic. UPCOMING: LEAGUE FINAL GALWAY V TIPPERARY.

FFS. What genius decided it was a good idea to put that on the same screen, where people who quite clearly will be avoiding the results will be going to watch the matches they've paid such a ludicrous amount of money to be able to see?

I emailed about it and they didn't have the courtesy to respond, even though they say on the website that they will always respond to such emails.

In sum: I hate gaago very very much. Was reminded of why just now as a I sat down to watch the league final and the footage is completely jumpy and unreliable. On a stream that ISN'T live! I'll skip the hurling next year altogether at this rate, or just watch on dodgy streams. Not exactly sure what they are actually providing for the money.

/rant

• Advertisement

the season pass has just been reduced for the remainder of the season to "only" €99 down from €140
    https://gaago.rte.ie/fixture/pass-s?utm_source=GAAGO+Newsletter&utm_campaign=f7fb150fe4-2017+Championship+9%3A+13+July&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0d4d91489a-f7fb150fe4-171912305

how are people finding it recently ?
    I only got one game back earlier in the championship and thought it was grand, but still far from impressive picture quality and nothing like what you get on a proper commercial provider like amazon video or sky go (for me german version)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

For all my whining in my last post I've found it pretty good lately, to be fair. They have a roku app that was giving me trouble but once it got fixed the quality has been excellent for me. Very handy to be able to stream it that way and not be dealing with the laptop and HDMI and all that. I still don't see why they can't do a one sport season pass though.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭gaillimh

Lads for anyone who has used this - is there a way to "cast" the stream from an iphone or ipad to a tv?
    I'm going to France next week and will be there for the AI football final but I won't be bringing a laptop with me.
    Want to watch it on a bigger screen than the ipad mini has if possible.
    Cheers for any advice.

gaillimh wrote: »
    Lads for anyone who has used this - is there a way to "cast" the stream from an iphone or ipad to a tv?
    I'm going to France next week and will be there for the AI football final but I won't be bringing a laptop with me.
    Want to watch it on a bigger screen than the ipad mini has if possible.
    Cheers for any advice.
    the last time I tried it it worked no problem with airplay from the ipad or iphone to an apple tv.
    If direct streaming doesn't work, just do mirroring, but I don't think that would even be necessary.
    Its only a stream embedded into a webpage, and not a dedicated app which blocks airplay like some tv companies do

and just for the record,
    this season league or early championship games were a tenner a go, the quarter finals €14 (each, so €28 for a double header) and the All Ireland senior finals (not incl minor) €20

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Quick question on this as i usually live stream games but due to work commitments and the time difference I will be watching the following morning.
    If I purchase a game can I watch it at any time or is it just live?

• Advertisement

Timmyr wrote: »
    Quick question on this as i usually live stream games but due to work commitments and the time difference I will be watching the following morning.
    If I purchase a game can I watch it at any time or is it just live?
    yep, you can watch it later and with the reliability of the stream during big games, that might be no harm !

Advertisement