Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Curious House near Barrow

• 18-12-2016 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

For years I have been driving past this house in the townland pf Knockenaugh, near Barrow and Ardfert in North Kerry. Here is a picture of the house I got from Google Streetview to let you know what I'm talking about.
    Knockenaugh House.jpg
    This appears to be an old photo, as the house is now currently unoccupied and covered in graffiti. Now it's the graffiti that interests me. If you were to see the house these days you'll see graffiti that goes along the lines of 'Ancestral Home of Daniel O'Connell' and 'This is a Carmelite House' (or something along those lines). These slogans are accompanied by graffiti of crosses. Unfortunately I don't have photos, but you can see it from the road no problem.
    Now you could write it off as adolescent vandalism, but I have a hard time believing that they would spray something of that style and theme onto a derelict house - honestly when was the last time you have seen them spray-paint anything relating to local heritage or write something about the 'Carmelites'?
    So I would to like to know would anyone in the Ardfert, Barrow or Churchill area know the story behind this house and the strange graffiti that cover it?
    Here's a map of it's location, the house is where the red dot is.
    map.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

Sorry to have to break it to you, but passed it last week and it has now being pained over.

It is/was a weird one, always freaked me out, I don't think it is vacant, there is usually a car there.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

That's odd. I wonder the story behind it is though. Was there a land dispute or something? Or was the graffiti done by someone who wasn't right in the head? It is the sort of thing that niggles away at the back of your mind.

Just wondering would somebody have a detailed photo of the graffiti for examination?

I remember come across some a few years back, I think they were on flickr or somewhere like that.

I think it was something religious alright.
    That's odd. I wonder the story behind it is though. Was there a land dispute or something? Or was the graffiti done by someone who wasn't right in the head? It is the sort of thing that niggles away at the back of your mind.

• Advertisement

I remember come across some a few years back, I think they were on flickr or somewhere like that.
    You wouldn't have a link to that would you?

Advertisement