Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Eve Traditions :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

I've never done it either. I hate packed pubs. Christmas Eve for me is all about pyjamas! I can have a few drinks on the couch if I want and it's much more comfortable.

Spot on!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

I think christmas eve needs to be declared a bank holiday, its grand this year as its falling on a Saturday but its the second most important day of the christmas and we should make more of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

leahyl wrote: »
    I'm sure thus thread has probably been done before but I'm feeling very christmassy today so what the heck!!

What do you all do on Christmas Eve? Do you have certain traditions that you keep to every year?

I'm 26, single and still living at home so always spend Christmas Eve with the 'rents! We usually go to a shopping centre for a look around, then visit friends of my parents and then get a takeaway before heading back home to eat chocs and relax before the big day :-D my friends birthday is Christmas Day so I normally drop off her gift to her house on Christmas Eve also!

What I love also about Christmas Eve is Joe Duffys radio show from Grafton Street! Makes me all sentimental! Jesus I'll drive my future husband insane!! :-D

Christmas Eve is apparently the busiest day for take away's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

jezzer wrote: »
    I think christmas eve needs to be declared a bank holiday, its grand this year as its falling on a Saturday but its the second most important day of the christmas and we should make more of it

100% yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Christmas Eve is apparently the busiest day for take away's.

I can understand why, it's a very busy day! I do all the Christmas Day cooking/prep on Christmas Eve so by the time dinnertime comes around, I'm totally wrecked and have probably used every pot and pan in the house & Mr. Shoe Lover is, apparently, incapable of even boiling an egg :rolleyes: So takeaway for us!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ Bonnie Spoiled Anorexic

At least every second year I'll spend Christmas eve either alone or surrounded by people but a million miles away, getting unhealthily drunk. My siblings are split up, they live all over the place and things are very complicated whenever my parents are involved with anything. Now that three of the six of us have their own families, they'll probably (sensibly) avoid the chaos, heartache and consternation of coming home. I don't blame them. I so miss them though. Especially when I think back to our little conspiratorial outings together on Christmas eves more than one decade ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

At least every second year I'll spend Christmas eve either alone or surrounded by people but a million miles away, getting unhealthily drunk. My siblings are split up, they live all over the place and things are very complicated whenever my parents are involved with anything. Now that three of the six of us have their own families, they'll probably (sensibly) avoid the chaos, heartache and consternation of coming home. I don't blame them. I so miss them though. Especially when I think back to our little conspiratorial outings together on Christmas eves more than one decade ago.

yes xmas eve can be a tough one for many

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ Bonnie Spoiled Anorexic

jezzer wrote:
    yes xmas eve can be a tough one for many
    You're right, and a lot of people have it way worse than I do - at least we all endeavour to meet up a few times a year and have a great time together! Many won't get that opportunity with their absent loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

does anyone in ireland do the american style christmas eve?

like putting on the lights outside and putting up the christmas tree on christmas eve? it seems in all the movies that this is when they put up the tree, i did this two years ago, hadnt time to get the tree up until 4pm christmas eve

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Dickie10 wrote: »
    does anyone in ireland do the american style christmas eve?

like putting on the lights outside and putting up the christmas tree on christmas eve? it seems in all the movies that this is when they put up the tree, i did this two years ago, hadnt time to get the tree up until 4pm christmas eve

No, too much else to be at! A friend of mine (American) told me that "Santa" used to bring their tree every year. They would go to bed with no tree and wake up on Christmas morning to a tree and presents. Kinda cute.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ah, that's a nice image, that Santa brought the presents and the tree. :)

I couldn't do it though- I need my tree with me for at least a month!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I love the idea of drinks in the pub with friends on Christmas eve but we've never done it - our friends are all scattered round the country with family that night. We still usually make a good night of it though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Get the hair done as early as possible. Enjoy town while everyone else is busy doing last minute shopping. Visit family with gifts. Help prepare Christmas dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

My parents are coming over from Australia to spend Christmas with me this year. I don't have a partner or kids, so when I stay in Ireland for Christmas it's normally a pretty quiet affair and really not that different to a normal day. We were trying to find somewhere to go for Christmas lunch in Clare/Limerick but they are all a bit expensive (€99 p/person...€300 for lunch, i don't think so!). So I'm looking to see if there are any places that do a Christmas eve dinner instead.

That got me thinking of Christmas Eve traditions / activities. If I was at home, the big thing to do is to go to the local park for the outdoor carols by candlelight and to then come home and watch the Melbourne Carols by Candlelight on tv. What we will do is facetime my brother & sister at home so mum & dad can watch the grandkids open their presents, but what Christmas Eve / Day traditions or activities do you have, especially ones that don't involve kids? We're not religious, so won't be going to a midnight mass or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Oh I love these threads ! Before myself and mr glitz had children we used to spend the morning prepping. Throw on some christmas jumpers wrap presents if going to visit friends and have christmas songs on in the background. If staying at home wed prep the food and set the table.
    After a spot of lunch out wed come home and walk the dog look at christmas lights. Come home wrap up with a big blanket and watch a christmas movie have a glass of wine or drink , open one present each and have a sneaky selection box :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It's that time of year again, it's time to bump one of our longest and favorite threads here! :)

Happy Monday reading ya'll!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

One of my favourite threads. I'm looking forward to getting an actual wooden christmas eve box this year , up to now ive used a gift bag so super excited to get a box :) it's the little things in life !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Love this thread.
    Doing my best to not think too much about christmas just yet, trying to contain my excitement until after we head away for a few days with the family at Halloween.... however, we've already bought the kids their new christmas pyjamas that they'll wear on christmas eve (they get new ones every year for christmas & wear them christmas eve) and picked up some fabulous christmas duvet sets as well on Amazon, they'll be used for the first time on christmas eve also...

14 weeks & counting (well, thirteen weeks & 5 days)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

This will be my first year married too, I think it's the same for Loughc, as we never know where we will be for Christmas until the last minute due to being abroad it would be great if we could form new traditions just for the two of us that doesn't require being in a certain geographic location, answers on a post card.

This thread is the thread that makes me the giddiest by far of all the Christmas threads. When I read it I have the Guinness Christmas ad music in my head and I get homesick as hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Love this thread.

I know it's not quite Christmas eve but last night I booked my flights home. My first time to becoming home for Christmas. So excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Witchie wrote: »
    I know it's not quite Christmas eve but last night I booked my flights home. My first time to becoming home for Christmas. So excited.

You'll have to play Chris Rea Driving Home for Christmas :)

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    You'll have to play Chris Rea Driving Home for Christmas :)

Well I sure as heck fire won't drive from Kuala Lumpur to Monaghan but I suppose the wee spin from Dublin airport will do! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Baileys

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Opening every Christmas a illegal popup pub in a shet somewhere in the neighborhood
    Nobody knows where it will be and we will know a couple of hours before opening Is open on Christmas evening and on Christmas day in the afternoon

Witchie wrote: »

I second driving home for christmas however I keep (try and keep)* the pogues fairytale of New York until we get the 'bing bong, we're about to start our descent in Dublin airport'.

Legging over to skip a song or knock of the radio when it rarely plays here.

One other thing that fell away as a tradition from childhood was my mum making us clean the windows (inside) and polish the brass, the two bits we had on our front door and the letter box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

Being alone, I had (used to anyway) have a quirky tradition of timing as many candlelight or church services as I could fit into Christmas Eve.

One Christmas Eve I went to 4 different church services, including a late night mass. Was lovely.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Time for the annual bump of this wonderful thread! :)

• Advertisement

By far my favourite thread.

As said elsewhere we have a little on on the way so I bought some old classic books to read to the wee one. In my excitement, and to the amusement of my OH, I hadn't considered that the baby wont even be here until Jan. Anyway two arrived yesterday and my OH came up with the idea that we would have hot chocolate (rum in mine) on Christmas Eve and I would read the stories to the bump. So that will be a new tradition.

Advertisement