Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB Beer

• 20-12-2016 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

probably asked 100 times but is there anywhere in Ireland that stocks Victoria bitter (VB)?
    I have tried molloys/obriens/tesco and all the usual multiples with no luck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

I'm not sure there is a market to import yet another useless Australian lager into Ireland.

If you want to feel like you are in Australia again, throw on a pair of shorts, turn on the immersion and then crack open a can of any old generic can of watery yellow fizz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My local Molloy's used to stock it but I haven't seen it there in ages. I'd say there was no market for it and they discontinued it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

There is an off licence attached to the laurels pub in perrystown that used to stock it. Might be worth ringing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,368 ✭✭✭✭listermint

tbf OP if you are trying to make someones christmas unhappy i would definitely recommend VB. One of the more terrible beers to grace Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If you want to feel like you are in Australia again, throw on a pair of shorts, turn on the immersion and then crack open a can of any old generic can of watery yellow fizz.

No need to be condescending. OP is just looking for info on a beer they like.

OP - I think http://noreast.ie/ import it as a bar in Derry with a lot of their products used to have it. Not sure if it's still available but they might be worth an email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

I haven't seen it anywhere recently OP.

You can get Coopers ale in plenty of places though if that's any use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Thanks for all your responses & help.

Great to have the boards community to help.

Just having a reunion with a few lads over the Christmas that I traveled to Australia with and wanted to pull out a 'Party Favorite'.

Had a look in Molloys in Tallaght last night and they stock Coopers i think give that a try as it seems to be very hard to get VB.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

While not being as sarcastic or denegrating as the first poster, it won't taste as nice as it did for you on a cold night in Ireland. Hot weather, frozen beer, good times etc make a major difference.

The Super Bock available in Ireland is rather pricey and pretty poor; the exact same product on a 30 degree day sitting on the terrace of a bar in Portugal is divine in comparison.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

L1011 wrote: »
    While not being as sarcastic or denegrating as the first poster, it won't taste as nice as it did for you on a cold night in Ireland. Hot weather, frozen beer, good times etc make a major difference.

The Super Bock available in Ireland is rather pricey and pretty poor; the exact same product on a 30 degree day sitting on the terrace of a bar in Portugal is divine in comparison.

Would agree 100% and over the summer Boards always gets a lot of threads along the lines of "I had Beer X served by a topless waitress on a white, sandy beach and it was the most divine nectar ever. Where can I get this in rural Ireland?".

To be fair to the OP though, it sounds like he wants it more for nostalgic purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

L1011 wrote: »

Maybe more along the lines of what I was going for initially.

Apologies to Tallaghtfornia.

Your mates who you travelled with in Australia will more than compensate for the lack of the specific beer.

Thanks for all the advice lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭donaghs

Give Redmonds (ranelagh) or McHughs (kilbarrack and beaumont?) a call. There's always a chance they'll have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Celtic whiskey shop on Dawson st might have it or point you in the right direction. A quick call to the Woolshed on Parnell St also might bring results?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I remember selling Little Creatures from Perth WA and by god it was expensive to even sell it cost to the retailer. A few years ago it was €45+vat for a case of 24x330ml before they even put their margin on it to the punter. (€2.30 cost price per bottle before adding profit margin)

Same applies really to the likes of VB, unless somebody plans on bringing it in in major volume then the cost price will be such that it would be lunacy to bring in one pallet because of the freight costs.

I've drank VB in Australia and here. Much of a muchness to me but then again drinking anything here depends on my mood and level of sobriety on any given sip :D

EDIT After a quicker scoot through the usual big importers here I did found an old listing showing that Comans Wholesale LTD, at one stage, handled it. I'd give them a chance. Their new website doesn't list VB but you never know. Could be some knocking around just not on their official listings.

http://www.internationalbeveragenetwork.com/3415/Comans%20Wholesale%20Ltd.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭eurokev

This was on the market about 5 years ago along with one of my favourite beers, Carlton cold, unfortunately they were dropped by the supplier and not picked up by anyone else, so are unavailable in the country at the mo.

Pity imo, can't understand the hate for VB. Big brands can do good beers you know

eurokev wrote: »
    This was on the market about 5 years ago along with one of my favourite beers, Carlton cold, unfortunately they were dropped by the supplier and not picked up by anyone else, so are unavailable in the country at the mo.

Pity imo, can't understand the hate for VB. Big brands can do good beers you know

Spoken to a few off licence's around Dublin and they have all said there is no demand and shipping costs would be to expensive.

Anyways I stocked up with Coopers last night in Molloys Tallaght :D

That will have to do

Advertisement