Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arlene Foster and the RHI scandal

Options
  • 15-12-2016 2:16pm
    Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

It's a risk in NI because you've a political system that is far too focused on questions of national identity and which side of the divide you're on, rather than the boring but important day to day stuff - running the place.

A lot of things in NI happen because it's effectively being done by a very competent local civil service and administration layer that doesn't really pay any attention to the bonkers politics and just gets on with it and because of the UK government dealing with the big stuff. If it hadn't been for those people NI would have fallen apart several times as the politicians were bickering over flags and hurling insults.

In general I think NI probably needs a few tough to sort out scandals to start the electorate thinking about how competent their representatives really are.

It's about becoming a mature self-ruled democracy. There's clearly a bit to go before they're at that level.

It'd dealing with this kind of thing that will ultimately normalise politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It really is jaw dropping, I thought we were the masters at wasting Government money!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,832 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Should be an entertaining show.
    Can't see Arlene surviving this. Anger seems to be high in the North atm.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/dups-jonathan-bell-ill-tell-the-truth-over-rhi-scandal-and-it-will-ruin-my-career-35296376.html

K-9 wrote: »
    It really is jaw dropping, I thought we were the masters at wasting Government money!

To be fair, we're in the little leagues compared to a lot of places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Sinn Fein won't say anything as they've an agreement with the DUP

Convenient that the wood pellets companies are mainly located in Arlene's constituency!

• Advertisement

NNesbitt making his play. Arlene is in a very weak position following her disastrous politicking over Brexit.

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is it my imagination or was there a clumsy edit/censorship just there?

He has had plenty of time to collapse heaven, smacks of jumping ship and career salvaging.
    Just tell the story, leave god out of it, she/he has his own heating like the devil. :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

awec wrote: »
    This Foster interview is absolutely OUTRAGEOUS.

Lies.

She's very good at deflecting.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

awec wrote: »
    She is trying her best to throw Jonathan Bell under a bus.

And buls****ing about intimidation now:(.

Arlene deflected the questions and went for character assassination.
    I had difficulty believing both of them tbh. Truth is somewhere in between and who jumped first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Is there any chance Sinn Féin are saying nothing because that's one sure fire way of ensuring many unionists rally behind Foster?

Is there any chance Sinn Féin are saying nothing because that's one sure fire way of ensuring many unionists rally behind Foster?

The old political mantra applies, if they are doing enough damage themselves, leave them at it?

• Advertisement

Interesting from a republican point of view to listen to how this story is being reported on the airwaves. Not to mention the lack of comment on here.
    Tommie O'Gorman's starter 'This is just a good old 'normal politics' story' was curious too, if not hilariously funny. It's only going to be a 'politician gone bad/made mistakes' story.
    If it concerned republicans we would almost certainly be told that this is how we expected these people to behave, that it 'confirms people's suspicions' etc etc. The story would certainly not get the 'this is normal politics' prefacing.

Considering what they have been 'explaining' for a while now, maybe Unionism is finding it difficult to run an honest ship in a normal political environment? They had after all, full control of the purse strings for long enough. Maybe it is Unionism harking back to their version of 'normal politics', who knows. Roll it there Tommie!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well it is normal politics in the sense that it has nothing to do with parades and the usual normal N.I. politics. It's a good old tax payers money waste scandal!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Watched both interviews last night. Bell is hard to listen to. Arlene Foster's interview was uncomfortable to say the least: her body language made me think she was lying through her teeth. She also blamed everyone except herself. It's hard to believe that a scheme could be put in place without knowing how much it will cost. She said she didn't have a crystal ball and hindsight is 20:20 but surely, the very first questions to be asked when designing a scheme like this are:
    1. What is the maximum cost?
    2. How will it benefit the participants?

The potential for unlimited liabilities for the scheme most certainly should have been noted when answering both of the above questions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Arlene Foster is an absolute disgrace, a terrible leader for Unionism and Northern Ireland. She makes Martin Mcguinness look competent. Resign now Arlene or Unionists will turn against you! You are a crook and I will happily tell this to you if I see you.

I wonder how this would go down if Westminster starts to investigate. The Tories LOVE public expenditure overruns by regions they know little about....

That money comes from somewhere and it's unlikely to be NI tax payers in reality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I will be emailing my MP David Simpson to ask him to put pressure on Unionist MLAs to support the motion of no confidence.

I wonder how this would go down if Westminster starts to investigate. The Tories LOVE public expenditure overruns by regions they know little about....

That money comes from somewhere and it's unlikely to be NI tax payers in reality.

Probably European funds, which has a certain irony.

Probably European funds, which has a certain irony.

They're particularly good at auditing and I'd say in no mood to he scammed by the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

She won't resign either how very Irish. She would fit in well in our Dail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

She won't resign either how very Irish. She would fit in well in our Dail.

Does anyone know for sure who is telling the truth? I'd guess that Bell is telling the truth but that's based purely on the body language of Foster in the interview. Is there any more concrete evidence in the public domain as to which version of events is closer to the truth?

Foster mentioned in her interview that Bell was a very aggressive individual. I don't know the guy from Adam but any NI'ers care to give their opinion on him?

Advertisement