Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crates / Storage for Glass Bottles

• 13-12-2016 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭

Girlfriend picked me up some brown glass bottles to compliment my existing PET bottles..

.. but I've been storing my PET bottles in the boxes they came in.

But the glass bottles are padded together in a massive cardboard box - how are others here storing these bottles? Plastic crates? And where would I get something to store them in.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If you have a local pub or off licence that stocks German beers they might have spare plastic crates they can give you. They only fit fairly narrow bottle sizes, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

BeerNut wrote: »
    If you have a local pub or off licence that stocks German beers they might have spare plastic crates they can give you. They only fit fairly narrow bottle sizes, however.
    Thanks - but yeah, they're 500ml's I have.

German crates are fine for the standard tall NRW bottle (Erdinger, Paulaner etc) and the fatter bauarbeiters halbe (Augustiner, Schlenkerla), and they'll just about take the standard Irish 500ml that Carlow, Trouble and loads of others use. But they won't take pint bottles, the older-fashioned wider bottles that O'Hara's used to have, plus lots of the custom English 500ml ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

I've asked in a bunch of pubs and off-licences about German crates. No joy so far.

Are these typically available? What am I doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Ask for any crates and then if they oblige take your pick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Crates are supposed to be returned but for some reason the German beer distributors in Ireland don't seem too fussed in collecting them/charging pubs for the deposit so if you ask nicely you might get a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Saw a Westvleteren crate on sale in Bruges last weekend for €18, cool to have but a lot of money for a crate. Even their glasses are more expensive than others.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Even their glasses are more expensive than others.
    Do they even have an official glass? I've always assumed those are bootlegged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

BeerNut wrote: »
    Do they even have an official glass? I've always assumed those are bootlegged.

Not sure to be honest. Seen them in a few shops and did get a 8 & 12 in a bar and both came in that glass along with the bottle cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

irish_goat wrote: »
    Crates are supposed to be returned but for some reason the German beer distributors in Ireland don't seem too fussed in collecting them/charging pubs for the deposit so if you ask nicely you might get a few.

I wonder if this is different for different brands. I was asking in Drink [Stoneybatter] and the dude said some of his distributors wouldn't continue to stock him if they didn't get crates returned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

hooplah wrote: »
    I wonder if this is different for different brands. I was asking in Drink [Stoneybatter] and the dude said some of his distributors wouldn't continue to stock him if they didn't get crates returned.

There's at least 2 or 3 distributors actually but maybe they've all tightened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

i use these crates from ikea...the ones at the bottom cot €10 and hold 22 bottles...the ones at the top cost €13 and hold 10 bottles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

JAMM222 wrote: »
    i use these crates from ikea...the ones at the bottom cot €10 and hold 22 bottles...the ones at the top cost €13 and hold 10 bottles

Do you have a link to them on the IKEA site - I can't seem to find them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just go to your off license and ask them for empty beer boxes and stack in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Do you have a link to them on the IKEA site - I can't seem to find them.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/small-storage-organisers/storage-boxes-baskets/skogsta-box-with-handle-acacia-art-40297966/

cant seem to find the other one sorry

Advertisement