Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Life in the PSNI?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Thanks Maj. If I get in I'd much prefer to get experience across as many areas as possible before even considering moving up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TheCub

A random question for serving officers.

Is it routine to carry your firearm of duty?

If so do the pros outweigh the cons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

TheCub wrote: »

GV will teach you that its best to take it home but its personal choice. I know plenty who don't but personally I always do. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Make sure you get a safe if you do take it home with you.

majgreen wrote: »

GV will teach you that its best to take it home but its personal choice. I know plenty who don't but personally I always do. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Make sure you get a safe if you do take it home with you.

Thanks. Would it be normal then to have it with you when your out and about off duty? Is there certain places you'd feel that it's better to have it than not.

It would be up to you to justify. I generally don't unless I'm going into my area of work where I might be recognised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollasign

Thanks. Would it be normal then to have it with you when your out and about off duty? Is there certain places you'd feel that it's better to have it than not.

Personal choice, As above some carry it religiously anywhere and others dont even bother taking it home.

Interesting post on PSNI Craigavon's page regarding carrying firearms....

Interesting post on PSNI Craigavon's page regarding carrying firearms....

It shocks me that people are still surprised police are armed and have rifles for routine patrols!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

How do you guys find home life in the job? Relationship with significant other, kids etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Homeward

A few queries I'm hoping serving officers can help me with...

I am currently a serving officer with another force. I am looking to come home and police my own country.

Is there anyone on here that has recently went through this? If so, how has the transition been? (Everything from back to college, to consideration of time served, Pay, Probation length)

This may divide opinion but where are the best areas to work? (I know this is a generalised question but the general consensus plus your own opinion(s) is what I am looking for).

I've spoken to a PSNI officer that transferred here and it was suggested that North Belfast would be a good area...

Is it possible to get in contact with frontline officers when I travel home to get their take on things, one officer to another, not the shiny shiny recruitment and PR side of things. (I understand the logistics of this and security implications, but it would be me calling to a station, warrant card and lanyard to speak with officer or officers).

• Advertisement

Homeward wrote: »
    A few queries I'm hoping serving officers can help me with...

I am currently a serving officer with another force. I am looking to come home and police my own country.

Is there anyone on here that has recently went through this? If so, how has the transition been? (Everything from back to college, to consideration of time served, Pay, Probation length)

This may divide opinion but where are the best areas to work? (I know this is a generalised question but the general consensus plus your own opinion(s) is what I am looking for).

I've spoken to a PSNI officer that transferred here and it was suggested that North Belfast would be a good area...

Is it possible to get in contact with frontline officers when I travel home to get their take on things, one officer to another, not the shiny shiny recruitment and PR side of things. (I understand the logistics of this and security implications, but it would be me calling to a station, warrant card and lanyard to speak with officer or officers).

Hi Homeward. I didn't transfer but I know many officers who have. From what I've heard from them it was a good process. They've kept their pension and wage and have fitted right in. Previously you could do a transferee course approx 8 weeks long however I understand that has been removed. This means applying as a new constable and going through all the processes in which you will get no favourable treatment - you will be seen as a new recruit throughout. However once you complete your 23 week training course you do not have to complete a probationary period. Most of your training carries over too - driving, stinger, intoxilyser etc

In terms of where to work, well every officer will have their own opinion. Personally I would want to work in North Belfast but that's just me. Although not as experienced im happy to discuss with you via PM if you have any other questions or queries about the job here

How do you guys find home life in the job? Relationship with significant other, kids etc?

In all honesty, it's very difficult. Shifts, overtime and the general exhaustion make it hard to be motivated on rest days to be family orientated, but it's a personal choice to choose to be active with your family whenever you can.

Cheers Majgreen.

Currently going through the process and looking forward to it.

Apprehensive about going back to training and living that life again, but if I've done it once I'll do it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭alphaquebec4

Homeward wrote: »
    Cheers Majgreen.

Currently going through the process and looking forward to it.

Apprehensive about going back to training and living that life again, but if I've done it once I'll do it again!

Hey Homeward im also a serving officer on the mainland. Waiting on getting back myself, on the waiting list now for GV, mid 60s. Feel free if you wana pm me we can liaise together on the transition .

Im looking forward to getting back home to mate

Hey Homeward im also a serving officer on the mainland. Waiting on getting back myself, on the waiting list now for GV, mid 60s. Feel free if you wana pm me we can liaise together on the transition .

Im looking forward to getting back home to mate[/quote]

Sounds good mate, just in the middle of a set of shifts the now so sleeping pattern up the left!

We may well be in the same intake, should that day come.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

Hi, Alphaquebec4 and Homeward, this FoI has some policy info for officers transferring - thought it might be of interest:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/358161/response/876756/attach/html/3/F%202016%2001250%20FOI%20Response.pdf.html

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭alphaquebec4

C3POPO wrote: »
    Hi, Alphaquebec4 and Homeward, this FoI has some policy info for officers transferring - thought it might be of interest:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/358161/response/876756/attach/html/3/F%202016%2001250%20FOI%20Response.pdf.html

Cheers C3POPO. Thats a nice wee read for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38284147

Are we crazy for wanting to join, maybe being crazy helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mkelly123

I am waiting on the call.

I have put my life on hold the last near 2 years for this job. Been a lot of arguments between me and the wife.. Not arguments as such but difference in opinion.

Mainly down to having to leave our house that we built near 2 years ago for safety reasons and it's not safe here for us. I would worry about my family while I was away on shifts etc. Long story short it is to close to republican areas and police is not welcome Round them parts at all.

Do the police give advice or help with re location?

I think my wife never expected me to get this far tbh. And now she knows it's for happening and safety is a big aspect for me, my Main priority is knowing she is safe as I can protect myself.

I have always wanted this job and nothing would put me off doing it. Been working in car sales now for 4 years doing 60+ hours a week and been making a really good living. I will be taking a paycut by over half for my first 4-5 years I say, but I'm looking to the long term future for my career pension etc,

mkelly123 wrote: »

I have out my life on hold the last near 2 years for this job. Been a lot of arguments between me and the wife.. Not arguments as such but difference in opinion.

Mainly down to having to leave our house that we built near 2 years ago for safety reasons and it's not safe here for us. I would worry about my family while I was away on shifts etc. Long story short it is to close to republican areas and police is not welcome Round them parts at all.

I think my wife never expected me to get this far tbh. And now she knows it's for happening and safety is a big aspect for me, my Main priority is knowing she is safe as I can protect myself.

I have always wanted this job and nothing would put me off doing it. Been working in car sales now for 4 years doing 60+ hours a week and been making a really good living. I will be taking a paycut by over half for my first 4-5 years I say, but I'm looking to the long term future for my career pension etc,

Yes, someone will be able to give you advice but to be honest you seem pretty clued up already and realistically it's safer to move. Someone in the Intelligence Unit will already have checked your area (all addresses are vetted) and I'm sure if there are major concerns someone will pull you aside in GV to speak about it. Otherwise if you are worried speak with DIU yourself and they are more than happy to help. They offered me plenty of advice 6 months ago when I needed to move house and stopped me from moving into a house I thought was safe enough!

Safety should always come first. The risk is foremost to you rather than your family but it's better to be safe than sorry, unfortunately this is the world we still live in and the threat is very real

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Tackleberry1

majgreen wrote: »
    mkelly123 wrote: »

I have out my life on hold the last near 2 years for this job. Been a lot of arguments between me and the wife.. Not arguments as such but difference in opinion.

Yes, someone will be able to give you advice but to be honest you seem pretty clued up already and realistically it's safer to move. Someone in the Intelligence Unit will already have checked your area (all addresses are vetted) and I'm sure if there are major concerns someone will pull you aside in GV to speak about it. Otherwise if you are worried speak with DIU yourself and they are more than happy to help. They offered me plenty of advice 6 months ago when I needed to move house and stopped me from moving into a house I thought was safe enough!

Safety should always come first. The risk is foremost to you rather than your family but it's better to be safe than sorry, unfortunately this is the world we still live in and the threat is very real

Who are DIU? I'm in the same position as mkelly although I'm actually in the process of buying a house right at this minute and trying to get it sorted before I'm offered a place. Would be good to speak to someone that can give me advice on the area... I'm thinking, mixed area, one way in and out, not on the main roadway or front of an estate, security doors, alarm etc

Ring 101 ask to speak to soneone in HR and they will find you the right person to talk to. Don't overthink and get paranoid. There will be someone who will 100% give you the advice you need.

Juat explain everything and they will have your back. They will talk you through the home security part of your query. Remember you are not alone, and never will be.

And dont be afraid to ask a question, for fear of sounding stupid. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

Ring 101 ask to speak to soneone in HR and they will find you the right person to talk to. Don't overthink and get paranoid. There will be someone who will 100% give you the advice you need.

Juat explain everything and they will have your back. They will talk you through the home security part of your query. Remember you are not alone, and never will be.

Very reassuring banterbus! Thank you.

Tackleberry1;101950233
    Who are DIU? I'm in the same position as mkelly although I'm actually in the process of buying a house right at this minute and trying to get it sorted before I'm offered a place. Would be good to speak to someone that can give me advice on the area... I'm thinking, mixed area, one way in and out, not on the main roadway or front of an estate, security doors, alarm etc

They are the intelligence unit. Speak with recruitment/HR if you aren't already in GV. The advice they give/who they put you in touch with might be different until you're in the door but at the very least someone can give you basic home and personal security advice. If you're looking at buying id advise waiting until you know your station. Nothing worse than buying a house and getting stationed the other side of the country!

I'll definitely give them a call later, unfortunately I can't wait due to issues getting a mortgage but I don't mind travelling.... YET!

Thanks again for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SneakyBeaky

Mkelly123

I can relate, I'm currently working as a doctor and many of my family think I'm mad for wanting to shift careers.

It's something I've wanted for years and think now is the right time for me. Fortunately I know a few people who have done exactly what I'm doing and have said they made the right move!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Psni26

Could someone give me some advice, I am due to start in January and still living in the same location stated in my vetting etc however I will be moving to a different location after the new year, would this be an issue changing addresses especially as we have had to already pick districts so early.

Psni26 wrote: »
    Could someone give me some advice, I am due to start in January and still living in the same location stated in my vetting etc however I will be moving to a different location after the new year, would this be an issue changing addresses especially as we have had to already pick districts so early.

No, just let them know you are moving so they can update their records

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Psni26

Thanks majgreen

Advertisement