Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January intake

• 08-12-2016 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Anyone else get the welcome pack today? It's all becoming very real now.

It's good to know at this stage which districts are available.

So exciting!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

That is good to know! What is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭didierdrogba

Really? What exactly have you been told around districts as that would definitely be a buck in the trend if they've given you options already considering they're normally still faffing over this a week before graduation?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Delightscience

It's a form which has to be filled out prior to commencing SOPT- order of preference, up to 4 districts. Don't want to go into the specifics, but certain districts are not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Makes sense to get an idea of where officers would ideally want to be placed. Gives them plenty of time to put plans in place.

Btw where are all your fellow January comrades? I do enjoy reading the intake threads :)

Haha...was wondering that myself. Maybe I'm in a "class" all by myself??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭didierdrogba

It's a form which has to be filled out prior to commencing SOPT- order of preference, up to 4 districts. Don't want to go into the specifics, but certain districts are not available.

Interesting...any chance you'd be happier sending me a PM of which aren't available, understand if you're not comfortable with it I'm just curious as to whether my district is on the list from a purely self preservational sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Nerves2016

Still waiting on my forms,so I will be interested to see the districts available.
    But I can assume with Cookstown, Armagh and Ballymena to be opened, they are possibilities
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/revealed-the-12-police-stations-being-closed-in-northern-ireland-and-the-three-new-bases-35278997.html
    Anyhow, how's the shopping list going - anyone managed to locate Selyt clothes for cleaning boots yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

Any word on the residential element of GV? I was talking to Recruitment last week and they said it was "not compulsory"!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollasign

C3POPO wrote: »
    Any word on the residential element of GV? I was talking to Recruitment last week and they said it was "not compulsory"!

Yep no longer a requirement but if you live far enough away you can still live in for the whole course.

From what I've read, there is still a 4 week residential but it is no longer compulsory. So It's up to you if you want to participate and "live-in" GV for 4 weeks. After the 4 weeks, those who live in excess of 35 miles and wish to stay up can do so. I think I want to do the 4 week residential. I know it will be tough with a young family but it's all part of the experience is it not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

From what I've read, there is still a 4 week residential but it is no longer compulsory. So It's up to you if you want to participate and "live-in" GV for 4 weeks. After the 4 weeks, those who live in excess of 35 miles and wish to stay up can do so. I think I want to do the 4 week residential. I know it will be tough with a young family but it's all part of the experience is it not?
    Yea I agree, i'd deff still want to go for the residential. I think you'd get to know the other recruits a lot better that way and as you said all part of the package. I understand the changes though and how it would help others though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

Nerves2016 wrote: »
    Still waiting on my forms,so I will be interested to see the districts available.
    But I can assume with Cookstown, Armagh and Ballymena to be opened, they are possibilities
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/revealed-the-12-police-stations-being-closed-in-northern-ireland-and-the-three-new-bases-35278997.html
    Anyhow, how's the shopping list going - anyone managed to locate Selyt clothes for cleaning boots yet?

Grabbed a few on eBay for a few quid.

Anyone else get the pack yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 resp5

Yep got the pack too. Time to bust out the polishing clothes and lint rollers again!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

What's in the pack guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Psni26

Yup got my pack too on Wednesday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Legally clueless

Random question. Do you need to supply paper part of your licence?? I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Nerves2016 wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SELVYT-BOOT-SHOE-POLISHING-CLOTH/dp/B006026F38

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Random question. Do you need to supply paper part of your licence?? I

Yes! Dig it out now to save time later

Does it tell you guys when you'll find out about your posting?

• Advertisement

swl33t wrote: »

Yes? The booklet states that we find out our allocated station at the induction weekend? If I've read that correctly then that's great!

Thats a big change! Will be great to find out early to get organised!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JX4321

Yes? The booklet states that we find out our allocated station at the induction weekend? If I've read that correctly then that's great!
    Sorry to be nit-picking, but officially the booklet only states that you'll be informed of your District allocation at induction, doesn't promise anything to us about what station we'll be at. Certainly hoping they'll give us that information if they can.

JX4321 wrote: »

Sorry to be nit-picking, but officially the booklet only states that you'll be informed of your District allocation at induction, doesn't promise anything to us about what station we'll be at. Certainly hoping they'll give us that information if they can.

Sorry I meant district.

Sorry I meant district.

Certainly a lot better than before, might be to stop people dropping out halfway through training if they dont like where theyre posted!

Even knowing your district will go a long way in your own planning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

I heard a few weeks ago that the new intakes would find out station early and spend some time there during training

Timetravel wrote: »
    I heard a few weeks ago that the new intakes would find out station early and spend some time there during training

That would make sense as that was an issue raised during the report. That during student training they never visited an actual working station.

• Advertisement

Hands up who is excited or nervous?! Very jealous!

Advertisement