Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Eve Traditions :-)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

I normally go on the beer for xmas eve but this year i'm thinking of staying off it and stay at home with the wife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Perla Icy Apathetic

I think this year I will break Christmas Eve tradition and spend the evening at home rather than the pub

BDJW wrote: »
    I think this year I will break Christmas Eve tradition and spend the evening at home rather than the pub

thats exactly what i'm thinking, the pub is good fun but it can get a bit depressing, plenty of hard luck cases about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Perla Icy Apathetic

jezzer wrote: »
    thats exactly what i'm thinking, the pub is good fun but it can get a bit depressing, plenty of hard luck cases about

I've 2 nights at a wedding, a concert and a night in the girlfriend's parents house between Christmas and New Years so I just won't have much time at home over Christmas so thinking a quiet night at home for Christmas Eve is definitely a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭FightingIrish

I'm in the process of making my own Christmas Eve box for my 2.5 year old and 6 month old, I could of bought one but wanted to put my hand to making it, it's big and sturdy and hopefully will stand the test of time, who knows, maybe in many years, my grandkids might be using it too!!

• Advertisement

BDJW wrote: »
    I've 2 nights at a wedding, a concert and a night in the girlfriend's parents house between Christmas and New Years so I just won't have much time at home over Christmas so thinking a quiet night at home for Christmas Eve is definitely a good idea!

yea, the pubs close early anyhow so its probably the best night of all to be home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I'm in the process of making my own Christmas Eve box for my 2.5 year old and 6 month old, I could of bought one but wanted to put my hand to making it, it's big and sturdy and hopefully will stand the test of time, who knows, maybe in many years, my grandkids might be using it too!!

Ah that's lovely. As special and all as Christmas is now, I really cant wait to have children to make it even more special :)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Brunch with the in-laws, long walk to walk it off, visit the neighbours and deliver the annual box of biscuits! Have a glass of mulled wine and mince pie in their house. Back home around 4, get into pj's and let kids open their Christmas Eve boxes. Watch elf. Put kids to bed. Have cheese and wine with my husband. Then to bed early in anticipation of Santa. A lovely day.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We always have Christmas Dinner in my parents' house, so on Christmas Eve, we have the annual ceremonial preparation of the stuffing. It's very highly in demand, so we have to make tonnes of it, so myself and my two sisters and my Mum, and lately my 5 year old all put on aprons and get to work in the kitchen. I chop the celery and onions seeing as I can chop them smallest and fastest and with least blood lost. My sisters + my little man do the grating of the lemons and then measuring out the breadcrumbs and herbs etc. They also chop up the parsley (although we often get Dad and my hubby involved for that because hands cramp up using the scissors). Mum supervises and generally makes sure we don't burn the house down. Then once it's all made, there are several tastings to make sure it's perfect.

After that we usually have an early fish & chip tea, while watching the Christmas Fr Ted. Then myself and my hubby and little man go over to his parents (we all live within 5 mins of each other) for a while, and then go to Christmas eve mass. Then we go home and attempt to settle a very excited child, then Santa does his setting up, and myself and hubby open one gift to each other before we head to bed for a couple of hours sleep.

This year I'm also going to make a turkey of my own on Christmas eve, because it's sometimes a bit un-festive coming back to the apartment in the evening after being out all day, and there's no festive left overs to pick at. So I'm going to cook a small turkey, and we'll be making an extra bit of stuffing, for me to take home for Christmas night.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Toots wrote: »
    We always have Christmas Dinner in my parents' house, so on Christmas Eve, we have the annual ceremonial preparation of the stuffing. It's very highly in demand, so we have to make tonnes of it, so myself and my two sisters and my Mum, and lately my 5 year old all put on aprons and get to work in the kitchen. I chop the celery and onions seeing as I can chop them smallest and fastest and with least blood lost. My sisters + my little man do the grating of the lemons and then measuring out the breadcrumbs and herbs etc. They also chop up the parsley (although we often get Dad and my hubby involved for that because hands cramp up using the scissors). Mum supervises and generally makes sure we don't burn the house down. Then once it's all made, there are several tastings to make sure it's perfect.

After that we usually have an early fish & chip tea, while watching the Christmas Fr Ted. Then myself and my hubby and little man go over to his parents (we all live within 5 mins of each other) for a while, and then go to Christmas eve mass. Then we go home and attempt to settle a very excited child, then Santa does his setting up, and myself and hubby open one gift to each other before we head to bed for a couple of hours sleep.

This year I'm also going to make a turkey of my own on Christmas eve, because it's sometimes a bit un-festive coming back to the apartment in the evening after being out all day, and there's no festive left overs to pick at. So I'm going to cook a small turkey, and we'll be making an extra bit of stuffing, for me to take home for Christmas night.

Sounds like a lovely day... And now I'm craving your stuffing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Christmas Eve is generally spent preparing for the next day - lots of peeling of veg & potatoes, getting the ham ready (though this is the exclusive preserve of my dad!) and doing some last-minute cleaning and shopping. The 'shopping' is usually food items rather than presents (though my dad has been known to dispatch me or my brother to the shops for a last-minute addition to the mother's gift!). Throughout we listen to Joe Duffy's Grafton Street broadcast and then Christmas FM, drink Bailey's coffee and generally have a nice time. In the evening we generally have a quick & easy meal (has often been a takeaway but not always), then it's time to wrap presents! We have a tradition that we wrap them in my parents' room, and the person whose gift it is is prohibited from coming in. So my dad, brother & I will wrap my mam's gift, then my dad will leave and my mam will come to help us wrap my dad's present, then both my brother & I will be kicked out while they wrap our presents. Even though my brother & I are both in our 20s we still get 'Santa' presents, and then a small gift from the parents.

After the present wrapping it's time for showers & then mass, preceded by carol-singing for half an hour in the church. At the mass, the local 'diva' always performs Oh Holy Night, which despite the giggles every time she gets up to perform it year after year is always a lovely performance. Then home to bed (with some picking at the ham first!).

On Christmas morning we always open our stockings first in my parents' room, then go downstairs to the 'Santa' presents - always laid out the same way, in front of the fireplace. Then we exchange the presents wrapped the day before. My mam always insists we sing 'Happy Birthday' to Jesus in the crib (a tradition that started when we were small kids, as a way to remind us of the holiday's religious meaning, and which my feelings have swung wildly about over the years - from thinking it massively cringe to kind of sweet). Then a huge breakfast, out to see relatives, back for Christmas dinner, then more relatives arrive for Christmas tea. Overall it's always a really lovely day and I'm excited about this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

No cooking done in my house until Christmas Day. Christmas Eve is completely free to enjoy the last day of build up to Santa's arrival with the kids. No relatives will call and we won't call to any on Christmas Eve or Day. We do our visiting on the 27th & 28th. I enjoyed all the traditions my parents created when I was young, now my wife and I are creating our own traditions with our children.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This year my OH is no longer working in retail which means we don't have to worry about if she'll be rostered to work Christmas Eve, so we're planning on prepping the Christmas Dinner, doing a bit of baking and sitting down to a movie with new pjs and treats.

I am very excited for this haha.

Anyone else want to share their Christmas Eve traditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Love reading all your traditions.

It's just me and my other half at home at Christmas.
    Christmas Eve I will put the ham on to cook and then prep the veg; chop the carrots and peel and halve the spuds, then in the evening we'll watch Home Alone and I'll cook something quick, like pizza or curry or we might order an Indian takeaway.

I'll have some wine, my other half will have a beer or a few whiskies and we'll have some nibbles; Pringles or nuts or something and we might crack open the tins of sweets.

I really love spending Christmas with him but secretly I always hope someone will visit or we'd be invited to someone's house, just to feel part of a big party or something but that won't happen so we make our own enjoyment and we do enjoy it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

I'm usually at home, sometimes help my mam get ready for the dinner for Christmas Day. I meet my friends from school on Christmas Eve night. It's been a tradition for years now. We are mostly based around our home town still. If now, people come home from Christmas and are around. Our group will do Secret Santa and we will meet for a few drinks and to do our gift exchange.

It's a nice little tradition we have since we are into a mid-twenties now, we can still meet up for that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Working in retail myself so I'll be working until 1pm in the day which is not bad and then off for a few days, actually one of the days that's fun in work there's great excitement with everyone rushing in for there last few bits and seeing all the kids excited.

When I finish work then the whole family gathers in my grandparents house about 40 adults and kids ages raging from a few months to late 70s sounds crazy but it's great fun we all do a fun secret Santa have a bite to eat and then head home.

Once home myself & my Mam put all the Christmas bedding on the beds totally cheesy but it's Christmas :)

Our own immediate family then sit down to watch a Christmas film it's usually always end up being miracle on 34th street & then head to bed to wait for the arrival of the big man himself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭ Jayda Old Voter

I'll spend the day cooking the ham and prepping the veg then settle down with the kids and husband to watch something Christmassy in our new pajamas (Barney xmas special anyone? :rolleyes: )

Then Skype my brother's family in NZ before putting the kids to bed and stuffing our faces with choccy and listening to xmas songs while waiting for Santa :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Patww79 wrote: »
    Pub from around 7-10, then home and throw on some party food and have a few there.

My other half wants to go to the pub Christmas Eve but I like spending the night at home.

We could just go for a few hours like yourself but does that really happen?
    Do you actually leave the pub when you say you will? Yknow with a few drinks on board you think "Ah we'll stay"...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Kdylass

Christmas Eve is my favourite day of the year...Excitement is high from the minute we wake up...We normally spend the day visiting my husbands dads house and my mother - with a trip to our local town in between, just to enjoy the atmosphere.. Then I bring my mother and my children to mass at 6.30. My husband says at home prepping for Christmas dinner. After mass, is the highlight of my Christmas eve - popping open a bottle of Brandy - Oh I love the sound of the pop.. Its the one time of the year that I enjoy a brandy..Then the excitement of putting Santa's food out & getting the kids to bed. I find Christmas day a bit of an anti climax - once Christmas dinner is over, its a bit of a slump

Kdylass wrote: »
    Christmas Eve is my favourite day of the year...Excitement is high from the minute we wake up...We normally spend the day visiting my husbands dads house and my mother - with a trip to our local town in between, just to enjoy the atmosphere.. Then I bring my mother and my children to mass at 6.30. My husband says at home prepping for Christmas dinner. After mass, is the highlight of my Christmas eve - popping open a bottle of Brandy - Oh I love the sound of the pop.. Its the one time of the year that I enjoy a brandy..Then the excitement of putting Santa's food out & getting the kids to bed. I find Christmas day a bit of an anti climax - once Christmas dinner is over, its a bit of a slump

Agree entirely regarding your feelings on Christmas Eve compared to Christmas Day. I love Christmas Dinner but I think once the Santa presents are open the excitement is over for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I live in the UK so normally all my presents are bought before I return home. We got a dog this year so she's coming back on the ferry with me. Xmas Eve usually consists of:

Breakfast / Brunch with the family in town
    Last minute bits and pieces being bought
    I've been given dessert duty again this year (I was half cut trying to make a cheesecake last year so it's attempt #2)
    Few pints in a quiet pub with the lads if they're around
    Home for the first cut off the ham

Stay up late so the ham is unattended.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

My christmas Eve has changed over the years, when I was a singleton it would have been a trip down to the local for a few beers with the mates, seeing friends back from abroad & belting out the crimbo songs till midnight, then home for a ham sambo & a mug of tea before bed.

Now being married with young children Christmas Eve will be getting the house ready for our Stephens Day get together (everyone comes to ours that evening for a bit of a party) pop out to get one or two last minute bits in the shops then usually getting a take away for dinner, get the kids bathed & into their new pyjamas (we always take a photo of them then & stick it into a 'special occasion' album we keep for the kids) watch a bit of TV & then get the kids to bed.... myself & herself will then watch a christmas movie (usually 'its a wonderful life' or suchlike) with a drink or two & then once we know the kids are fast asleep sort out the presents for the morning...

Love christmas eve... Christmas day we're always out at relatives & only get back in time to put the kids to bed & relax for a little bit, Stephens Day then we send getting the house prepped for that evening/night & then its all over for another year...

Really looking forward to it this year! Though I say that every year :-)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

fussyonion wrote: »
    My other half wants to go to the pub Christmas Eve but I like spending the night at home.

We could just go for a few hours like yourself but does that really happen?
    Do you actually leave the pub when you say you will? Yknow with a few drinks on board you think "Ah we'll stay"...

It depends, in my youth my GF at the time would have to drag me out of the local. It was a mix of just getting home from a year away and booze. Then seriously regretting it the next day.

Fast forward a few years 24ish and I rock up to the local and see how packed it is, get one drink say hi to people and back home.

Now I am getting dragged to the local by my OH to be social and say hi to my pals. God I feel old. A hangover and house full of kids Christmas day or a drive to Limerick is not big or clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I never go out drinking on Christmas Eve - I just have never done the whole "local pub for a few drinks" thing, but this year I'm actually going to the "local" for a few with friends on the 23rd, so I'm going to make sure I don't get too drunk cos otherwise Christmas Eve will be ruined...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Likewise I have never done the drinks thing on Christmas Eve. Whenever I hear friends talk about it and how packed the pub always is, it just never really appealed to me. Then there's the fact that our family has its little Christmas Eve evening traditions, so I've never really felt the pull, so to speak. Though I can understand completely how others would love it. My brother did it one year, got really drunk & was then hungover and sick as a dog for Christmas Day - my mother was absolutely furious, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've never done it either. I hate packed pubs. Christmas Eve for me is all about pyjamas! I can have a few drinks on the couch if I want and it's much more comfortable.

• Advertisement

Advertisement