Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snap chatter announcing the recession is well and truly over !!

• 02-12-2016 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Just watching snapchat and a blogger I follow announce in text that "the recession is well and truly over"
    Is it ? Or perhaps it's just over for her ?!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The term recession has a very specific meaning; and the most recent one here has been over for quite some time. There has been continued growth for over 3 years (as well as a brief period of growth before then, from memory).

That many people are not back to the financial position they were before the recession is a different matter entirely. Due to utter unsustainability of the economy at the time, many people never will be. Doesn't mean there's a recession on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

What blogger?what was it about

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Sufitzy

Very true !
    I just thought for her followers who wouldn't look at it in such a specific way it was a big statement to make considering people are still struggling all over the country.
    L1011 wrote: »
    The term recession has a very specific meaning; and the most recent one here has been over for quite some time. There has been continued growth for over 3 years (as well as a brief period of growth before then, from memory).

That many people are not back to the financial position they were before the recession is a different matter entirely. Due to utter unsustainability of the economy at the time, many people never will be. Doesn't mean there's a recession on.

Don't think names are allowed, could be wrong but don't want to risk it.
    bigpink wrote: »
    What blogger?what was it about

They are bloggers putting stuff on the net for public viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Sufitzy wrote: »
    Very true !
    I just thought for her followers who wouldn't look at it in such a specific way it was a big statement to make considering people are still struggling all over the country.

What Ireland has experienced from 2013 is not far off an economic miracle on par with the celtic tiger. We have an unemployment rate of 7.3% and one of the fastest growing economies in the world(even if you ignore the creative accounting). France has an unemployment rate of 10.5% and the EU average is 8.5%. Some months we are adding more jobs than Germany which is nearly 20 times our population. Ireland is literally the textbook defination of a booming economy not one contracting.

Some people might not be as well off as 2006/2007 and lets be honest never will. We were living in a period of super easy credit and our spending/standard of living was not sustainable. The standard of living in Ireland is ridiculously high compared to most of the EU. Some people might be struggling in Ireland, but their standard of living is multiplies of what it was in the 1980s. People are just going to have to get used to the fact that several holidays a year and endless shopping is the norm even if they like to think that

Agree with the majority of this especially the several holidays a year and endless shopping 😬 but I do still think it was a big statement to make.
    newacc2015 wrote: »
    What Ireland has experienced from 2013 is not far off an economic miracle on par with the celtic tiger. We have an unemployment rate of 7.3% and one of the fastest growing economies in the world(even if you ignore the creative accounting). France has an unemployment rate of 10.5% and the EU average is 8.5%. Some months we are adding more jobs than Germany which is nearly 20 times our population. Ireland is literally the textbook defination of a booming economy not one contracting.

Some people might not be as well off as 2006/2007 and lets be honest never will. We were living in a period of super easy credit and our spending/standard of living was not sustainable. The standard of living in Ireland is ridiculously high compared to most of the EU. Some people might be struggling in Ireland, but their standard of living is multiplies of what it was in the 1980s. People are just going to have to get used to the fact that several holidays a year and endless shopping is the norm even if they like to think that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Agree with the majority of this especially the several holidays a year and endless shopping 😬 but I do still think it was a big statement to make.

Congratulations, you might be the first person in history to take a "Snapchat Blogger" seriously...

That sounds a bit more mean-spirited than intended but, come on, seriously...

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Congratulations, you might be the first person in history to take a "Snapchat Blogger" seriously...

That sounds a bit more mean-spirited than intended but, come on, seriously...

More sarcastic than mean spirited !!

It was just a question, doesn't mean I believed her :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

doesn't mean I believed her :)

She was entirely factually accurate, though.

Claiming there's a recession on is inaccurate. Claiming there are still financial inequalities, deprivation etc isn't, but that's not what 'recession' means.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    She was entirely factually accurate, though.

Claiming there's a recession on is inaccurate. Claiming there are still financial inequalities, deprivation etc isn't, but that's not what 'recession' means.

I do understand the meaning of 'recession' and perhaps I worded my post wrongly but merely wanted to point out whilst the recession may be over for some it may feel like it's still on.

Can the blogger not be named?

Advertisement