Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prolonged High pressure over Ireland. Why?

• 27-11-2016 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭

Basically we're after coming through the driest October for many years and November looks likely to be following suit.

This is the Northern Hemisphere weather chart for today.

screenshot_1.png

Is the High Pressure block over Asia the cause of our settled spell?
    I'm hearing theories that the early snowfall over this vast landmass has cooled down this area and just really that it's after creating a huge anticyclonic system as a result. There's been a small low pressure system over Scandinavia bordering this Giant weather system and then our own High Pressure over us.

If our own HP could move over Scandinavia perhaps we could get an easterly wind and get some of this cold from the east. For the moment this does not seem likely. It's only towards the end of the run (as always :P) that it shows something remotely like this happening.

screenshot_1.png

Anyway I would like to hear your thoughts on this autumn and start to winter and the cause of our current spell of weather. Professional and any views are most welcome. Thanks in advance. Pedigree.

(Or anything I got wrong).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

My only question is why the **** can't this happen in the summer time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

My only theory is La Nina has quitened down the energy around our shores and therefore storms are few and cool weather with long dry spells is our lot.

In 2016 theres only been about 6 really wet days in Sligo.
    Normally theres over 20.

Last year there was probably over 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The jet stream is very wavey - that makes space for HP to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This is not unusual for this time of year. This is the type of inversion that used to create smog with the smoky coal.
    In fairness to Mary Harney, in spite of P, Flynn, we don't have that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The Sun is at its lowest activity in over a 100 years this is thought to disrupt the normal jetstream pattern and caused more "blocking" events....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Water John wrote: »
    This is not unusual for this time of year. This is the type of inversion that used to create smog with the smoky coal.
    In fairness to Mary Harney, in spite of P, Flynn, we don't have that now.

It kind of is unusual for this time of the year. We are after having a period now of settled weather where many Met eireann stations have recorded their driest October for many years with some the driest in 50 and 60 years.

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-weather-reports.asp

In a few days the Met eireann reports for the month of November will be out and I expect it to be the driest in many years also. We are living through weather history being made.:P

Yea I remember some of the near pea soupers even in towns in wexford (enniscorthy) and we have seen high pressure inversion take place in the last few weeks and no air mixing taking place and effectively some places being in their own weather version of "The Dome" with cold pools of air inside and warmer air outside it going over the dome. But the bigger picture is Anticyclonic systems (high pressure) cause air inversion with cold air trapped underneath and warm air above.
    It's the reason why that high pressure is mostly centred over Ireland that interests me.

As in the first post a reason could be the early snowfall over Russia and asia and as some more learned than me postulate that the early snowfall below the 60N line has created it's own (and favoured to form) High Pressure over it.
    Then we have the lowest sea ice on record in the artic, where usually there would be a big HP centred over that now. Instead it's formed over the cold land mass of Asia blocking the movement of our usual High Low High Low systems over us from moving around the Northern Hemisphere.
    Maybe I've got that wrong about the HP over the Arctic and there should be a strong LP over the arctic driving the weather around the NH.
    But anyway, certainly interesting weather conditions we are having in this part of the world atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A weak la nina. North America/Canada is not as cold as it was last year, this means less voltality in the atlantic between constrasting airmasses. Speaking of the high it is deeply frustrating that with a weakened vortex all we get is a high over us instead of retrogression to the nw or ne. Enjoy the cold weather, because nature will redress this later in the season. February will likely be mild and wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

November is almost certainly going to be the driest on record for some - www.waterfordcityweather.com has a grand total of 32mm so far - 28.5 of which fell on two days!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

We are sandwiched between the 2 high pressures (eastern Europe) and getting a nice bit of snow out of the lows slipping down from eastern Scandinavia. We have about 30-40cms lying currently.

Advertisement