Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Thought he was a scouser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

mackeire wrote: »
    As bad as all these 'comedians' are, they all seem to make a decent enough living from comedy.

Either their mothers are buying all the tickets to their gigs or normal people actually want go to see them!

No Irish comedian is making a decent living, especially ones working for RTE or TV 3 . This idea that because you are on TV you re making money is a myth. People who have been there for years like Tubridy, Duffy etc are on huge money Camera men, lighting techs who are unionised also get paid but musicians, artists etc they are all on one off contracts and get a pittance for it. Someone mentioned DVD s and box sets , are you kidding me? No one buys these items anymore ? The musical acts on the medium sized stages at Glastonbury have day jobs. The link to the article I ve posted is from 2014, and that refers to UK bands, in 2016 its even worse and worse still for Irish artists. Entertainment is free on the internet its just that some people don t seem to have noticed yet. Fame is no longer synonymous with fortune end of .

https://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/article/our-favourite-bands-and-their-day-jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

mackeire wrote: »
    As bad as all these 'comedians' are, they all seem to make a decent enough living from comedy.

Either their mothers are buying all the tickets to their gigs or normal people actually want go to see them!

People who go to comedy gigs in Ireland laugh because they feel obliged to, not because something is funny. They paid for the ticket and decided that the show is going to be funny, even if it isn't. Irish people accept a lot of crap and mediocre stuff without question.

Dannyriver wrote: »
    No Irish comedian is making a decent living, especially ones working for RTE or TV 3 . This idea that because you are on TV you re making money is a myth. People who have been there for years like Tubridy, Duffy etc are on huge money Camera men, lighting techs who are unionised also get paid but musicians, artists etc they are all on one off contracts and get a pittance for it. Someone mentioned DVD s and box sets , are you kidding me? No one buys these items anymore ? The musical acts on the medium sized stages at Glastonbury have day jobs. The link to the article I ve posted is from 2014, and that refers to UK bands, in 2016 its even worse and worse still for Irish artists. Entertainment is free on the internet its just that some people don t seem to have noticed yet. Fame is no longer synonymous with fortune end of .

https://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/article/our-favourite-bands-and-their-day-jobs

Is that why Karl Spain is on operation transformation?

Is that why Karl Spain is on operation transformation?

I don t know the guy but Unfortunately yes, Id say so, any exposure might help sell gig tickets, but realistically you re still not going to make enough money from gigs on their own. Even moderately successful wedding bands have day jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Karl Spain is undoubtedly the most appallingly bad comedian out there. Met him once as it happens, over 15 years ago, and the young lad said aren't you the guy I seen on the telly.

Karl was smiling ear to ear, as proud and smug as they come. 'Yeah, that was me' he said.

Quick as a flash the lad said 'Well, you were sh!te', and we walked off.

Have since stumbled on this man's stuff over the years. Bad. Very bad.

myshirt wrote: »
    Karl Spain is undoubtedly the most appallingly bad comedian out there. Met him once as it happens, over 15 years ago, and the young lad said aren't you the guy I seen on the telly.

Karl was smiling ear to ear, as proud and smug as they come. 'Yeah, that was me' he said.

He relies a lot on ''I'm from Limerick'' then he goes on to reel off all the Limerick cliches that most of us have heard dozens of times now. I'm sure he is nice enough and all that, but funny? nah, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I am sick and tired of all these guys who come on Tubridy, Ray D'Arcy, etc. imitating Enda Kenny and the like. Really at this stage this is past its sell by date. Those half hour comedy shows on RTE2 are more examples of poor Irish comedy. PJ Gallagher is also very overrated. Surely someone can do something better than that? As with music and all the rest the Irish media are clueless and give breaks to the poorest comedians all the time.

Hilarious story, young fella must be a chip off the old block is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Zooouma

They're all terrible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Very rude I'd say...what happened to manners ....You donlt have to like someone but calling them ****e to their face??.....and as a parent are proud of this kind of behaviour ?
    If I said anything rude to an adult when I was young I'd wouldn't do it again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Limerick's greatest pseudo intellectual.

The desperately average Blind Boy Boatclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

Deirdre o kane did a free gig in work a while ago. We were emailed to try turn up due to low interest. Says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Very rude I'd say...what happened to manners ....You donlt have to like someone but calling them ****e to their face??.....and as a parent are proud of this kind of behaviour ?
    If I said anything rude to an adult when I was young I'd wouldn't do it again

Indeed. It seemed at first reading that 'proud and smug' was a criticism of Karl Spain, but it turned out to be the goal. A real 'mic-drop' moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Patrick Kielty I wish the Columbians had disappeared him
    And June Rodgers not sure if she falls in the category of comedian but if I hear that stupid laugh on the radio again this year for her xmas pantomime Ill throw the radio out the window.

Limerick's greatest pseudo intellectual.

The desperately average Blind Boy Boatclub.

God forbid an artist should have an opinion. I doubt for a second that blind boy sees himself as an intellectual in any sense of the word, that statement says more about you than it ever could about him, but deep down you probably know that already Id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The Apres Match team are talented, original, comedic performers and writers.
    I also enjoy Paul Woodfull.

• Dylan Moran is excellent - has a few misses but very many more hits.
    Dara Ó'Briain is very good - very intelligent and is excellent at improv, playing off the crowd etc.
    Ed Byrne gets a lot more hate than he deserves imo. He's not the greatest or most original comic ever, but he is quite witty and has some good stuff in his repertoire.
    Aisling Bea is ok, nothing groundbreaking but she has her moments.
    Maeve Higgins is not side-splittingly funny but I find her very likeable as a person - her delivery isn't always the best (supposedly she's quite a shy and unassuming individual, not the type you'd normally associate with comedy) but her material isn't half bad.

Andrew Maxwell, PJ Gallagher, Katherine Lynch and Jason Byrne are as funny as cancer (and not in an ironic "Rhythm is a Dancer" way). They may be lovely people for all I know but they cannot raise so much as a light titter from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Oliver Callan. No idea what people see in him. He throws a load of fake tan and a plastic forehead on and he`s Marty Morrisey. WOW.
    He`s also delved into the hack comedian pursuit of giving his view on everything from water charges to feminism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I'll tell you whose not funny, not funny in any way. Rories Stories. This lame garbage is on Republic of Telly now. RTE needs to shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'll tell you whose not funny, not funny in any way. Rories Stories. This lame garbage is on Republic of Telly now. RTE needs to shut down.

ROT is the worst thing on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Tommy tiernan. He says stuff to be offensive and get it printed in the papers. Went to one of his gigs once it was crap, just incoherent rambling with this navan schtik.

Jason byrne is absolutely brutal too, I saw something recently from him and it was basically humour for 12 year olds. no wonder I thought he was great when he did a gig in college years ago.

Des bishop is a guy I used to go to alot of his gigs 15 years ago around cork when he wasn't known very well. He had this remarkable ability to take the absolute piss out of something irish, like that emersion sketch the first time I heard it, i was in tears. Problem is his subject material hasn't matured past that and its gotten old. I enjoyed his work experience program working for minimum wage, the rest was ****e.

Dont think we have any great irish comedians currently , I dont mind Dara but he's a far cry from jimmy carr.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

I find Irish "comedy" is nearly funny sometimes, but is always ruined by some twisted and warped agenda tagged on to it in some way.
    Not humorous or uplifting at all.

Oliver Callan. No idea what people see in him. He throws a load of fake tan and a plastic forehead on and he`s Marty Morrisey. WOW.
    He`s also delved into the hack comedian pursuit of giving his view on everything from water charges to feminism.

There s a guy I work with like that he's an IT guy and he s always giving his opinion on political issues if its not water charges its trump, I ve told him numerous times that the rule is you aren t allowed comment on anything outside of what you do but he won't listen. My wife knows a girl who's a hairdresser and she was talking about the property tax and the water charges the other day, unbelievable same as Callan some people just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Brian Dobson, don't find him funny at all, just sits there rambling on about current affairs. How he got a daily show on RTE I'll never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Brian Dobson, don't find him funny at all, just sits there rambling on about current affairs. How he got a daily show on RTE I'll never know!

PMSL

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

Those 2 who do Zig and Zag, Podge and Rodge etc. Hiding behind "anonymity" and with a horrible cruel style of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Dannyriver wrote: »

There s a guy I work with like that he's an IT guy and he s always giving his opinion on political issues if its not water charges its trump, I ve told him numerous times that the rule is you aren t allowed comment on anything outside of what you do but he won't listen. My wife knows a girl who's a hairdresser and she was talking about the property tax and the water charges the other day, unbelievable same as Callan some people just don't get it.

Good, political discussions are our duty as citizens. I would love if my hairdresser started talking about political issues.

• Brian Dobson, don't find him funny at all, just sits there rambling on about current affairs. How he got a daily show on RTE I'll never know!

In fairness, i did laugh the time he asked John Gormley 'So are you in or out of government? You cant be half pregnant!' :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Jesus Christ upon reading this thread I just remembered a boss I had in about '99 or so brought us to some comediennes she insisted were absolutely brilliant. "The Nualas". Man Alive, the most painful couple of hours of my life. Does anyone remember those losers?

Advertisement