Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which extreme weather event would you prefer?

• 26-11-2016 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd run a poll just out of curiosity as to people's extreme weather preferences.

Which event would you enjoy most?

1: Prolonged period of frost
    2:Prolonged heatwave
    3:Heavy snowfall
    4:Severe wind storm
    5:Severe thunderstorm

Which type of extreme weather event would you enjoy most? 125 votes

Prolonged period of frost
    0%
    Prolonged heatwave
    15%
    PopoutmanDiscoStuJohn macDannoxtal191jimmyjim11DOCARCHislanderreEmmehotwhiskeybrembo26mountainy mandmc17MattHeldersMrBobjoujoujoupqdvdplayersjb25currants 19 votes
    Heavy snowfall
    27%
    _Kaiser_John mactuxy[Deleted User]DannoRikandMars Barjimmyjim11Sabre ManDOCARCHDeedsieronnie3585DeankSinbad311RubyKeyebrows63Jpmarndmc17alphBsal 34 votes
    Severe windstorm
    52%
    GonzoDiscoStuSupercellStarkVillain[Deleted User]kenmcDannoBatesydsaint1xtal191brian_rbkoinkelyTrogdorsnowstreamsdmapreludeTabnabsjimmyjim11KurumbaZzippy 66 votes
    Severe thunderstorm
    4%
    DOCARCHdmc17ReatijoujoujouOneiric 3Meteorite58 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Severe windstorm
    Drawn between heavy snowfall and prolonged heatwave.

Love all 5 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

Severe windstorm
    3 and 5 together would be best by far:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

As long as it's not cold rain,anything will do.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Severe thunderstorm
    I voted for all 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I'd vote in order of preference: 5,2,1,3,4 but would enjoy them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I went with severe thunderstorm as they are intensely exciting for a short period but life returns to normal not long after they start.

With any of the others being "prolonged" as per the poll they become a nuesance after a week. Snow is amazing but the transport and country comes to a stand still and the other side is sleepless nights during a heatwave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Heavy snowfall
    Heatwave but only with low humidity!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Heatwave but must be in July where it belongs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

a good wind storm, watching the approaching system on satellite , reading the reports on here "lights flickering now" . putting on the stove and settling down for the night. Belmullet gusting up around 80 knots

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Severe windstorm
    voted for the snow, easy choice. Heatwave would be second and thunder third. Ive no interest in rain or wind, we get those all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Thunder thunder thunder thunderstorm ho for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Severe windstorm
    Didn't realise how difficult the choice would be, went for snowfall in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Severe thunderstorm
    Severe thunderstorm tops for me. :)

2nd would be severe windstorm. I recall vividly the anticipation that built before some of the big ones in the 90s, which usual hit by night and by which time the electricity had gone.

3rd would be prolonged snow but this would jump to 2nd if accompanied by severe winds.

I don't care much for excessive heat or cold to be honest as this often come via very boring weather. I like my skies active :)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Severe windstorm
    Snow, but I'd love to see/be inside a tornado (in a safe manner for everyone)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

Severe windstorm
    Definitely heavy snowfall first followed by prolonged heatwave in second

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Heavy snowfall
    I can't abide the cold, and frost/freezing just brings out the idiots on the roads and makes it a pain to get anywhere

Warm and dry so, or at least warm-ish!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Prolonged heatwaves lead to water shortages so no and bad for the elderly and very young.
    The 1985 thunderstorms were too extreme and there was a similar type event in 1986, I think people did die, plus lots of livestock died.
    I don't like severe windstorms as they do kill and cause serious damage.

It can be nice having a lot of snow and being an independent state since the state doesn't care about rural people when they are cut off from society unless you are pregnant with a possible future tax payer, or a tax payer who is sick and might die...
    I would not like a 1947 event as people would die.

I don't like prolonged frost as water ends up freezing as temperatures stay too low for too long.

For me everything in moderation, as problems arise if too hot and dry, too cold, too snowy, too windy, thunderstorms too extreme.
    It all seems fine when others are affected and not oneself.
    So I will not vote as everything in moderation, when things get extreme, there are negative consequences.
    Like last year we had a windstorm, but the repairs- was it to an ESB pole or telephone pole ended up in a death.
    So for me - none of them. It doesn't stop extreme weather, and we have to take what comes...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Heavy snowfall for me. I would dearly love to experience something akin to the events of December 16 2010 again. Heavy snowfall for hours ,with the snow piling up on the ground, and no danger of it turning back to rain or sleet, would be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Heavy snowfall
    A good summer heatwave followed by a spectacular night time thunderstorm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Heavy snowfall
    Heatwave because I like tanning myself. When I was a teenager and younger than that, snow was my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Severe windstorm
    talking of extreme events, saudi arabia has had recent snowfall..................

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Severe windstorm
    this time of year.. extreme snowfall

but i'd love to see a severe storm or even a tornado before i pop my clogs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Heavy snowfall
    I wonder how different the poll results would be if this topic was created in April/May

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Severe windstorm
    Rikand wrote: »
    I wonder how different the poll results would be if this topic was created in April/May

Or in January 2011! (After the 2010 cold snap)

Advertisement