Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

All of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Tommy Tiernan used to be funny until he started trying to imitate the likes of Jimmy Carr & Frankie Boyle.

He was never funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Never seen his stand up but the Savage eye is one of the funniest shows RTE have had imo,

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Bring back Spike Milligan :D

I remember seeing him on tv with an old washing mangle - if you don't know what it is ask your grandmother. He was standing beside one on stage holding sheet music in the other hand. He started winding the handle, feeding the sheet music through the rollers and humming the music. Wit or madness, I don't know but it cracked me up watching it. :D

Sorry - the thread was about unfunny Irish comedians - oops !

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭brickmauser

What is it with people who are desperately UNFUNNY making lucrative careers in comedy in Ireland?. As far as I'm concerned the list here is endless from comedians who incessantly laugh at their own rambling barely coherent unfunny stories (Tommy Tiernan) to those that have humour for 2 year olds (Jason Byrne) to those that see themselves as edgy and sharp whilst simultaneously sucking on the teets of crap RTE shows (think anyone who's ever been on Republic of Telly) or worse the god awful Des Bishop. Incessantly speaking condescendingly about Irish people only for them to lap it up and think he's profound and funny for speaking about Ireland with contempt as if we were backwater primitive slobs.

It seems crap Irish comedians are 10 a penny now. All being 'edgy' sometimes getting up on their pedestal and preaching after being funny perhaps once (think Rubberbandits). It seems comedians are abundant but bereft of talent here. I suppose what I'm getting at is it has been so dumbed down comedy, these chancers know they don't need wit, or timing, or impeccable delivery or even to be funny. Just to get on some RTE show is good enough and then read out rubbish topical jokes they wrote several days in advance whilst simultaneously letting on it's on the spot.

Before anyone says I don't have a sense of humour I love comedy. Comedians I like well George Carlin is one of the greats, nowadays, Steve Hughes is amazing, Rich Hall is great, Greg Morton always cracks me up, Stewart Lee's dry humour is impeccably timed and Romesh Ranganathan is worth a mention.

Can I think of a single Irish comedian now who can lace their boots?. Nope, won't stop them getting a crap intelligence insulting comedy (Bridget and Eamon/Damo and Ivor etc) or guest spot on some awful panel show with scripted jokes and toilet humour.

Christ we gave the World Oscar Wilde for God's sake!.

The best Irish comedians are Brendan Grace and Brendan O'Carroll. Their comic timing is fantastic and they both leave audiences rolling with laughter although have different brands of humour.

None of these supposedly cool hip comedians come close.

You make people laugh or else f*ck off the stage.

Bernard Manning could make people laugh.

Roy Chubby Brown can make people laugh.

Peter Kay can make people laugh.

Jimmy Carr can make people laugh.

Young Irish comedians so called can't make people laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭JKerova1

Weird. I was only thinking this to myself today that Ireland must be the easiest country in the world for a stand up comedian to make a living given that there are so many bad ones clogging up the airwaves and tv schedules all the time.

To be fair to Tiernan he was a great talent (one of the few Irish comics to do well outside of Ireland) and still shows the odd glimpse of his genius but his stand up routine has definitely waned badly.

Dylan Moran stands head and shoulders above everyone else and not just other Irish comedians.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Leinster.R126

David McSavage, when he was doing his routine in the city centre a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

Might be a much shorter thread if we listed the funny ones, are there any ?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

Tommy Tiernan used to be funny until he started trying to imitate the likes of Jimmy Carr & Frankie Boyle.

You've summed it up perfectly, the sad thing is he nearly was the first funny Irish comedian in a generation.
    Instead dried Tommy relies on being as twisted and lewd as possible to get some shock laughs. The lowest form of 'comedy' of all.

Skommando wrote: »
    Might be a much shorter thread if we listed the funny ones, are there any ?

Brendan Grace. Criminally underrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Aisling Bea is so cringeworthy. She tries desperately hard to be funny..it's embarrassing. Don't know how she got that gig on '8 out of 10 Cats'..

Jason Byrne is painfully unfunny too, as is Andrew Maxwell and Ed Byrne.

Brendan Grace is of his generation...corny but the oul ones love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

JKerova1 wrote: »
    Weird. I was only thinking this to myself today that Ireland must be the easiest country in the world for a stand up comedian to make a living given that there are so many bad ones clogging up the airwaves and tv schedules all the time.

To be fair to Tiernan he was a great talent (one of the few Irish comics to do well outside of Ireland) and still shows the odd glimpse of his genius but his stand up routine has definitely waned badly.

Dylan Moran stands head and shoulders above everyone else and not just other Irish comedians.

Dylan Moran was 14th on Channel4 's top world wie comedian of all time
    https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/284/billy_connolly_channel_4_poll/

fussyonion wrote: »
    Aisling Bea is so cringeworthy. She tries desperately hard to be funny..it's embarrassing. Don't know how she got that gig on '8 out of 10 Cats'..

Grace makes me roar with laughter. I mean when the whole family are laughing that's fantastic.
    I saw a big surly looking guy busted over laughing and tears rolling down his cheeks.

So called comedians can't do that. It's giggles and tittering. Crap.

Dave Allen was a genius. Nobody like him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I think it's ironic how Dave Allen requested to not be replayed for the rest of eternity, like the comedians on 'Dave' the TV channel are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

fussyonion wrote: »

I once told Jason Byrne the only good gag he has is when he sucking D. He didn't deny it.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Jason Byrne, Bernard O'Shea, Ed Byrne, Neil Delamare..........................Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo painfully unfunny!!

But we did produce Dylan Moran & Dave Allen at least

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Surprised by the Al Porter hate, I find him absolutely hilarious. His Live at the Apollo set had me in stitches. I can see why people dislike Dara O Brian but I think his crowd work ability is top notch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Kadser

The_Mac wrote: »
    I can see why people dislike Dara O Brian but I think his crowd work ability is top notch.
    I was at his gig 15 years ago in Dublin when the British agents came over to check him out. There were better acts on that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

I beginning to think the problem here is the unhumorous Irish people, the majority of comedians here mentioned are actually funny one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

No... They're not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Karl Spain. I can't stand the sight of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

+1.

My point there, these guys get good salaries, TV shows, slots on God awful panel shows, DVD specials etc etc etc and yet have little to no comedic ability whatsoever. I mean in any other job to excel you have to at least be competent. Not so with comedians in Ireland. I sometimes get the impression that RTE and the like are TRYING to give comedians who aren't funny platforms. Christ I see a new show for Des Bishop advertised for RTE. Cue more self righteous ego masturbation on how profound his observations are pointing out how defunct Irish society is all while simultaneously trying in vain to be funny.

Ugh round and round we go, but certainly they seem to be getting worse and worse, like to the point where anything they say is not even remotely funny.

'cue more self righteous ego masturbation on how profound his observations are' now that is funny and not just ironically so....are there any mirrors in your house?

• Never seen his stand up but the Savage eye is one of the funniest shows RTE have had imo,

He's brilliant. Was in Thurles a few weeks ago. Well worth a go. Best show ive seen though is Foil, Arms and Hog. Couldnt recommend their show enough.

• schizo1014 wrote: »
    I beginning to think the problem here is the unhumorous Irish people, the majority of comedians here mentioned are actually funny one way or another.

We are just mad to knock our own. Yes plenty of terrible irish comedians but there is plenty of terrible comedians all over the world. Like music its a subjective matter. Nationality doesnt make a good comedian rather what they can bring to the show or how they interact with the crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I just don't get Tommy Tiernan jokes. I'm not knocking him but I don't find most of his stuff funny. Maybe that says more about me than him? I like Al Porter, I think he's very witty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

We are just mad to knock our own. Yes plenty of terrible irish comedians but there is plenty of terrible comedians all over the world. Like music its a subjective matter. Nationality doesnt make a good comedian rather what they can bring to the show or how they interact with the crowd

'Like music its a subjective matter.' Well said, of course it is for **** sake. In other words if someone finds something or someone funny its because they found it funny, standing there telling someone who is clearly laughing that what they are laughing at isn't funny is beyond stupid. Not far off asking someone who likes brocolli why they are eating brocolli 'it's disgusting' These people exist also I know of one.

All the comedians mentioned got to where they are because they are talented in one way or another and appeal to certain comedic sensibilities of a certain populace in one way or another. If they hadn't talent they might be on here giving out instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Maybe we're all super intelligent and our sense of humour has evolved so far that we're goin round with broken funny bones, impossible to please. Or maybe it's easy to get a gig now, or set up a youtube channel to get some exposure, and those most talented are lost in the crowd. Then there's individual preferences too.

It's impossible to please everyone. I think Dylan Moran and Dave McSavage are the best we have now. Daire O'Briain's a really smart fella and makes some brilliant obsevations. Tommy's not as funny as he was, but hoping to get to his show in the new year. I went to see Pat Shortt a while ago and he owned the room.

We need our own Frankie Boyle or Jim Jeffries. Is McSavage in that bracket at stand-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

As bad as all these 'comedians' are, they all seem to make a decent enough living from comedy.

Either their mothers are buying all the tickets to their gigs or normal people actually want go to see them!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

The rubber bandits, who ever 2 eejits with plastic bags over their heads are funny .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

John Bishop is gone very stale

Advertisement