Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Out of date beer - safe to drink ?

Options
  • 26-05-2008 6:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi, bit of a strange question but here goes....due to a mix up a thing with 24 cans of Milller Genuine Draft was left un-drunk and its now out of date (by several months). Anybody know would they be OK to drink or not ? cheers, Mark

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Shelf-life is an estimate of freshness (but MGD is yukky anytime!).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

:eek: How could you leave beer long enough to go out of date?! Sacrelige! Don't you dare waste it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Techniqually no human pathogen can survives in beer, so in theory it should be fine. but the miller may have lost some of it delicate taste:rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

My old man offered my 8 cans of draught Guinness last night - the use by date was 14-Mar-2004 - I gave them a miss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

I wouldn't drink it tbh, I assume it has a best before date for a reason

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Two reasons: the law and marketing, neither of which mean the product is in any way more harmful once the date is passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

colly10 wrote: »
    I wouldn't drink it tbh, I assume it has a best before date for a reason

The flavour of a beer tends to degrade after the BBD.

So, considering it's Miller, this shouldn't be a problem (where's a barf smiley when you need one?)

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

Shouldnt be any problem with it whatsoever... I do it all the time and never a problem (hmmm... *ponders*)

What is the date exactly and we'll give you a better idea.. a couple of months no worries.. 2002 may be an issue... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

mark 2008 wrote: »
    Hi, bit of a strange question but here goes....due to a mix up a thing with 24 cans of Milller Genuine Draft was left un-drunk and its now out of date (by several months). Anybody know would they be OK to drink or not ? cheers, Mark

I'm not sure about beer but I believe cider's best-before date is the latest date it can be guaranteed to be within an acceptable margin of its stated alcohol content.

Out of date -> drunk quicker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Stick em' in the freezer for a bit and get them down ya son!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

A product that has gone beyond its "best before date" is still okay to consume. It may just have lost some of its flavour.

A product that has gone beyond it "use by date" should not be consumed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

FruitLover wrote:
    The flavour of a beer tends to degrade after the BBD.
    And before, as well. With very few exceptions, the fresher the beer the better the flavour. Best Before dates on beer are a compromise between making sure it's still acceptably fresh-tasting while ensuring the shelf-life is long enough to be commercially practical.
    Gurgle wrote: »
    I believe cider's best-before date is the latest date it can be guaranteed to be within an acceptable margin of its stated alcohol content.
    How does that work? Ethanol doesn't degrade, and your mass-produced pasteurised ciders have nothing living in them that will make more alcohol. Even bottle-conditioned ones are highly unlikely to stray outside the Revenue's margin of error.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Even bottle-conditioned ones are highly unlikely to stray outside the Revenue's margin of error.

yep,a general rule is natural conditioning will add 0.5% alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I drank 12 bottles of Miller one night that was 3 months out of date, didn't seem different in any way, and no ill effects....bar the usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Gurgle wrote: »
    I'm not sure about beer but I believe cider's best-before date is the latest date it can be guaranteed to be within an acceptable margin of its stated alcohol content.

Out of date -> drunk quicker :D

Samsons cider seems to get better with age, that's not to say it doesn't taste good when in date, it does as unlike most cheap ciders you don't need to start of bulmers and work your way onto them, you can start on Samsons so for 4 for €5 you simply cannot go wrong

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

One of my mates drank a bottle of some manky drink that was 10 years out of date, he said it wasn't bad and still tasted like it should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Currently drinking 03.07 Hommelbier and I swear it's much nicer than the fresh stuff (I've compared) but then it is 7.5% and is bottle conditioned.

Currently drinking 03.07 Hommelbier and I wear it's much nicer than the fresh stuff (I've compared) but then it is 7.5% and is bottle conditioned.

nice:)

Some of the best before dates on Belgian are done for the American marker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Drink them, they're just past their best and will be a little bit flat, but they're safe to drink with no ill-affects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Garthicus

You will be fine (pity they are cans of piss!)

Speaking of which, I just ate a pack of Tayto today that was BB Jan this year, they were brill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Ghost Dog

Onlyfinebeer sold me a case of 2005 dated Rogue recently, tasted fine. MGD on the other hand....

Ghost Dog wrote: »
    Onlyfinebeer sold me a case of 2005 dated Rogue recently, tasted fine. MGD on the other hand....

Big difference between Rogue beer and miller, which Rogue was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I bought a tray of Comet Beer from an Off Licence on Baggot Street, it was out about two months, it lived up to its name. Nothing quite beats the feeling of passing wind and having wet ankles..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ghost Dog

Honey Ale, American Amber, Half a Weizen and Shakspear Stout.

Ordering more today. Hic! (But don't buy the Maisel OOD, 2004, undrinkable. Their OOD English Beer is a good buy, haven;t tried the Belgian or German Selections yet.

http://www.onlyfinebeer.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ArrogantOne

shanel23 wrote: »
    My old man offered my 8 cans of draught Guinness last night - the use by date was 14-Mar-2004 - I gave them a miss :)

That's interesting. I have 4 cans of Guiness Draught, just discovered, at the bottom of the can it says: 02/10/06 - so presumably 2 October 2006 or 10 February 2006. Maybe that's the date of manufacture and not the best before date. I don't know.

I am concerned whether I will get food poisoning by drinking these cans. they have never been openned and have been refrigerated the entire time I am told.

What do I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's interesting. I have 4 cans of Guiness Draught, just discovered, at the bottom of the can it says: 02/10/06 - so presumably 2 October 2006 or 10 February 2006. Maybe that's the date of manufacture and not the best before date. I don't know.

I am concerned whether I will get food poisoning by drinking these cans. they have never been openned and have been refrigerated the entire time I am told.

What do I do?

Try them. If they taste ok, well and good, if not chuck them.
    The WILL NOT make you ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kawasaki777

drank 26 cans dutch gold 13 years out date, no worries

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement