Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Betfair - closed account with my funds an no contact

Options
  • 16-11-2016 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I've been a very satisfied customer of Betfair for 8-10 years. While I wouldn't use it all the time I would transfer funds and be active for maybe a few months and then take a break.

last week I transferred some funds via Paypal and saw them in the account shortly after. The next day I went in to have a wager and to my shock the account had been closed.

I called the helpline - nice guy told me that I'd have to contact security "but you can't talk to them, you can only email them". I sent the email 5 days ago, got an immediate automated response which told me:
    • Verifying your account: Average Time to answer is 48 hours
    • Account security related queries: Average Time to answer is 48 hours
    • All other enquiries: Average Time to answer is 4 hours

5 days later I had heard nothing so email again, exact same response. I called this afternoon and guy in Customer Service told me (eventually) that the account had been compromised so I'd have to set up a new account.

I'm seriously pissed off that nobody contacted me before or after closing the account (if it really had been compromised). Effectively, they took my funds away from me :mad: ie. if I had wanted to withdraw my money I could not. If a bank thinks your account has been compromised they contact you, maybe even lock your account, but they don't take your funds and not provide you with access.

My question is...who regulates Betfair? I'd like to lodge a formal complaint which seems to be extremely difficult when they don't bother responding via email and they (Account Security) don't actually talk via phone.:mad:

I'm flabbergasted that one of the biggest Footsie 100 companies could be so lax when it comes to effectively confiscating someones money:mad:

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Roy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

How would they know it has been compromised if you didn't tell them? That's the first thing I would have said to the guy on the phone. Their poor customer service doesn't surprise me, they've always been very unhelpful when i've needed them to fix their mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭onekeano

Cheers Ian - I called them yesterday to tell them how pissed off I was - they said they'd respond today I told them I wanted an email - they said "sure"....nothing so far :mad:

Roy

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Division

Did they explain how exactly the account was compromised?

5 days is not a lot in these circumstances.

http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/Contact-us/Complaints/How-do-I-complain-operator.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭onekeano

Hi Division - nope, no explanation of how it was compromised......following my call on Wednesday of this week when they told me I'd have an email response by yesterday I have still received zero feedback - so funds still not available to me :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

Usually when an account is hacked the funds will be wiped out. The firms then quote terms and conditions and refuse to refund. There are a lot of threads about this online. Do you have the 2 step authentication set up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Wow, funny because in my little time dealing with Betfair they seemed great. I placed a bet on Trump winning the election, and they mailed my winnings in cheque-form via post, arrived 2 days later.

I did however go through Betfair on Facebook to get advice on the best way to access my funds. Maybe try talking to someone through that platform? I had a real person to talk me through it and it was all sorted very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I placed a bet on Trump winning the election, and they mailed my winnings in cheque-form via post, arrived 2 days later.

Thought all bookies had got rid of cheques these days, would they not transfer it straight into your account?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Thought all bookies had got rid of cheques these days, would they not transfer it straight into your account?

Nope, they sent me a cheque no problem. Transferring to the bank option wasn't working for some reason, and funny enough there was a 5 euro fee with that, the cheque free ;)

Advertisement