Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Claiming J1 Tax Back

• 15-11-2016 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Can anyone kindly advise me on the best way to go about claiming J1 Taxback?

I worked in 2 places, one of which i left abruptly and was never given a payslip & taxed heavily on low income.

The second job i was taxed moderately on higher income and have payslips for

Although my second job was never approved by InterExchange under their new ruling (failure from my employer to provide a business license to them (out of laziness)) I'm sure i'll still be able to claim this taxback.

I paid roughly between $1900-2200 in tax, i'm aware i won't be able to claim all of that back.

Obviously looking to avoid Taxback.com and other sites like that as they charge a fee and seem to use a legal/intrusive approach to claim back.

Does anyone have experience with these sites or have they gone about claiming the tax back themselves?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

As long as you get W-2 forms you should be able to use the 1040NR-EZ form at the link below. W-2 forms are usually mailed (or available online) in January. I'm not sure what address you gave while in the US, but if you're not sure where the W-2s are going, get in touvh with the employers and ask for them to be mailed to you.
    https://www.irs.gov/uac/form-1040nr-ez-u-s-income-tax-return-for-certain-nonresident-aliens-with-no-dependents

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭HowItsMade

Got my taxback sorted fairly easily in the end, anyone with any queries for his year or future tax years don't hesitate to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Octotron

HowItsMade wrote: »
    Got my taxback sorted fairly easily in the end, anyone with any queries for his year or future tax years don't hesitate to PM me.

Hey, how did you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aislingm11

Completed my federal taxes using the 1040NR-EZ form and state taxes for Illinois independently without going through taxback and paying their fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Janiebear

Can anyone tell me how to get my tax back now that I’m home in Ireland? Do I need an American bank account? I am so confused :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement