Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Lights Outside

• 16-11-2016 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, just looking for some advice. So I have bought new house and moved in. Kids are little bit older so they realize what Christmas is. So I was planning on getting some outside lights for the house.

No idea where to start or where to buy. Is the icicles that hang off gutter a good place to start with? is there a specific place to buy, I was juts looking at amazon/ebay

Any help would be welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Homestore and more, woodies and Argos all have ranges of outdoor lights! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Do you have any trees in your garden? I find it easier to decorate the garden rather than try to to hang lights on the outside of our two-storey house, but if you've a low hanging gutter then it's not so tricky.
    Fairly lights can be used throughout the garden and the cable ran through into the house. We have a waterproof plug box at our gate that we use to plug in lights as its just too far away from the house.
    Just remember not to cut your grass when you've all these cables !

Eta Loughc has listed some good choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Thanks, no real tress as I cut them all down. There was a lovely big tree in garden I was going to use as external Christmas tree but I left the house for 30 mins and the wife got them to chop it down....

House is bungalow so that is why I was thinking of hanging off facia....

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Thanks, no real tress as I cut them all down. There was a lovely big tree in garden I was going to use as external Christmas tree but I left the house for 30 mins and the wife got them to chop it down....

House is bungalow so that is why I was thinking of hanging off facia....

Make sure you get LED lights. Any other type of light will not last long outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I don't have outside lights, but from looking at others, I'd say go with the rope lights rather than icicles. I've seen so many icicles finish up sitting in the gutter after a blast of wind. I know some people just permanently fix the rope lights to the gutter and only turn them on at Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Some alternatives as i put up the lights by myself every year despite Mr glitzs assurance that this is the year he will finally help :pac:

There is a dividing hedge between myself and the neighbours so I drape outdoor net lights on it. I have one of those outdoor boxes you can plug the lights into under the hedge got it in woodies fantastic if you don't have outdoor sockets.

Also I got some of the light up reindeer for thr garden they are in lidl or aldi.

I also put bright large lights along the inside of all windows to frame the window woth the added bonus of not needing to put lights up on gutter. Google the house from home alone it will give u a better idea! Hope some of these help. Also homestore abd more usually sell all their lights half price in December !

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Oohh I was gonna buy icicles in Aldi tomorrow thinking they would be nicer than rope ones in Lidl! But now I'm not sure! I always line the front window frame with white fairy lights but I would really like to get some outdoor lights even though we are only renting the house at moment.

I guess it is not a problem posting links?

I was looking at these, they have similar on Amazon etc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Christmas-Xmas-Bright-LED-Snowing-Icicle-Lights-Indoor-Outdoor-House-Tree-White-/400985099470?var=&hash=item5d5c930cce:m:mTA2MEIvGvFpncJ4KBLcVlA

960 Led White Icicle Lights (8 Mode chaser) with Remote Control

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Westfest

I wonder is there a way to get permanent led Christmas lights installed when building a house. Would save some amount of hassle.

I have given up I think, cant seem to find a decent set for what I want

I did find some useful gutter hooks on Amazon

Might wait till sales and purchase for next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I have given up I think, cant seem to find a decent set for what I want

I did find some useful gutter hooks on Amazon

Might wait till sales and purchase for next year

50 pack gutter hooks in home store for €1.49

Advertisement