Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retro arcades in Dublin City Center

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Relikk wrote: »
    The only way I'm ever going to visit it is if they have a flat fee upon entry and everything set to free play but, I doubt it.
    you would need a way to kick people off machines too. Some experts might spend ages on machines too. I wonder if there are other ways ti can work, like give you tokens on entry, 1 for each machine so nobody can even play the same one twice, unless swopping the tokens. But then the difficult games would be lying idle while there are queues for easy ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Tchoin

Relikk wrote: »
    The only way I'm ever going to visit it is if they have a flat fee upon entry and everything set to free play but, I doubt it. That system also doesn't make much sense if it's a bar.

That's a tough one, I love that system but don't know if it'd work for them.

I spent some months in a small town in Arkansas, US in 2013, and I used to go to a fantastic arcade called Arkadia Retrocade, they had dozens of machines which they rotate every now and then, a few home consoles with "retro living rooms" (i.e.: furniture and TVs from the era) and a section for private events/parties, heck they even had the X-Men 6 player arcade cab :eek:

You paid a USD 5 flat fee when entering and could stay all day up until midnight, don't know how they managed to get people flowing.

I don't think machine hogs would be a major issue.
    I think most people will get get board and move on quickly.

The MOST annoying thing I can see with with 15 pins on free play is.

Dopes starting 4 player games and then walking away.
    It is the bane of the pinball hobby.
    When ever I have family over they do this.
    Unknown to them of course.

Even worse with some Sega games as they are 6 player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I don't think machine hogs would be a major issue.
    I think most people will get get board and move on quickly.

The MOST annoying thing I can see with with 15 pins on free play is.

Dopes starting 4 player games and then walking away.
    It is the bane of the pinball hobby.
    When ever I have family over they do this.
    Unknown to them of course.

Even worse with some Sega games as they are 6 player.
    Ah stop, that's so annoying. Why is my score going down? he's had loads of goes! STOP PRESSING THE F&%$£"$ START BUTTON:mad:
    Always wondered had someone made a rom to change the number of players to 1 for any games.
    It's even more annoying now in my new house that there is a 50/50 chance turning on/off the pinball will trip the fuseboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A token system would probably work best. Pay a fiver in, get X amount of tokens complimentary and then you've to pay for them after that.

If they keep the token cost super low (say 10c per token) the customer will feel like they're they're getting great value for money and at the same time it will retain that 'arcade' feeling where you're dedicated to each credit. Credit feeding an arcade machine just ruins the experience of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

It's even more annoying now in my new house that there is a 50/50 chance turning on/off the pinball will trip the fuseboard.

This used to happen to me when it was drawing too much power at once when powered on, i saw something online that said plug it into a power block and plug that power block into another one and it will stop it and it worked!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

This used to happen to me when it was drawing too much power at once when powered on, i saw something online that said plug it into a power block and plug that power block into another one and it will stop it and it worked!

Most likely an inrush current issue. Would be solved by changing the type of switchgear feeding the machine, possibility
    This can often happen if there are too many LEDs in an array ,
    I've seen similar issues resolved by putting that cct on a different type of RCBO , in my case Type D the response curve is a little more sympathetic to initially high currents but it's not great to subject everything to that lower level of protection. So a separate dedicated cct was our solution (signed off by the lighting supplier)

We put a VIPs meter on it and it was a significant spike but for a very very short time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

o1s1n wrote: »
    If they keep the token cost super low (say 10c per token) the customer will feel like they're they're getting great value for money and at the same time it will retain that 'arcade' feeling where you're dedicated to each credit.

do you forget that this is the owners of The Rage that we're talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AL9000

Hi all!

Some great info on here, thanks to all. Really looking forward to 'Token'....been a long time coming! Can't wait!

Am an old-school gamer here (Pierrot Club/Playland/ Eden Quay/ Barneys/ Star in Bray/ and kicked ass in Blackpool 1991!)
    Best games were Track+ Field, Hyper Sports, Rygar, Robocop, Bubble Bobble :-)

Anyone got the list of games for Token?

Cheers to you all,

AL

p.s. only my first post so can't post any links. Have some from MARP (MAME Action Replay Page) and another site with me and some famous American gamers. Good ole days :-)

Ah stop, that's so annoying. Why is my score going down? he's had loads of goes! STOP PRESSING THE F&%$£"$ START BUTTON:mad:
    Always wondered had someone made a rom to change the number of players to 1 for any games.

Cathal,
    I've had this problem and I think changing the thermistor in the PSU sorted it.
    Remind me at the weekend to give you one!(also the defender marquee)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭airmax87

no candy cabs no cans no can do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Cathal,
    I've had this problem and I think changing the thermistor in the PSU sorted it.
    Remind me at the weekend to give you one!(also the defender marquee)

Think a lot of pins do not have a Thermistor hence the problem. Fitting one will solve it. Saw it as a mod on some pinball website a while back. Google may be your friend here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AL9000

Hey does anyone have the list of games that will be at Token?

Thanks in advance!

AL

Advertisement