Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First Christmas Tree

Options
  • 30-10-2016 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi all,

First year in my own house, so have to buy a Christmas tree. I want to buy an artificial tree - my question is, where should I go for a good quality tree. I want one that will last me years, so I don't mind splashing the cash on something that will last.

Had a look in Woodies and B&Q, and wasn't overly impressed with any there - any other suggestions?

TIA!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Pixie001 wrote: »
    Hi all,

First year in my own house, so have to buy a Christmas tree. I want to buy an artificial tree - my question is, where should I go for a good quality tree. I want one that will last me years, so I don't mind splashing the cash on something that will last.

Had a look in Woodies and B&Q, and wasn't overly impressed with any there - any other suggestions?

TIA!

Argos do decent ones... they're mostly all the same it's hard to find like the perfect tree. Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Where are you based?

If you don't mind splashing the cash (which seems fine to me considering you might spent €50/€60 on a real tree every year) then decent garden centres are often a good place to look.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Homestore and more do great ones too. I find woodies over priced for their Christmas stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Maybe have a look around. Get a real one for this year and then pick up a long term solution at a greatly reduced price the far side of Christmas? Saw a nice Paul Costello one in Dunnes, but is €430. Our one will probably be retiring this year. Is 8ft and full top to bottom and hard to find a worthy replacement. Will be checking out homestore too. They normally do offers on decorations too in December too.

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/christmas-light-up-decorations/rudolph-the-red-nosed-reindeer-light-up-decoration/invt/053568

This guy will guard your tree too

matchthis wrote: »
    Saw a nice Paul Costello one in Dunnes, but is €430.

WHAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Edups wrote: »
    WHAT

The boom is back baby!!!!!

phkk wrote: »
    The boom is back baby!!!!!

Dunnes can get in the sea a 430 euro Christmas tree

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Talking about Christmas trees in October, what next? Anyone know where I can buy a few Easter eggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Talking about Christmas trees in October, what next? Anyone know where I can buy a few Easter eggs?

You do realise your posting in the Christmas forum? Christmas is the whole point of this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

http://www.ezlivingfurniture.ie/christmas-trees/3435-large-pine-christmas-tree-116613.html

They had lovely ones in easy living the other day really nice and not too expensive. I bought one in woodies six years ago love it. It comes apart in four parts all the light integrated into each section they have never blown it was well worth 200 euro.

• Advertisement

It's the 31st of October... go away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

BAH, HUMBUG TO YOU SIR!

Have already been looking for a new tree and just haven't found the right one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Don't have any input or answer except to say its my first Christmas in a house big enough to have a full sized tree too!! My inner child is so excited :D If I see any decent ones I'll be sure to post!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Can I suggest checking when you're buying it to see how it comes apart. I hadn't a clue when I bought mine and thought they'd all be the same, but some just come apart in three/four pieces and you just push the beaches closed (almost umbrella like if that makes sense). But the one I have you have to take every branch off one by one, and then put them back in the same way. They're coded so they have to go in the right order etc and it's a pain! I know it's only twice a year but drives me a bit crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Also on the lookout for a new tree this year. I seen some in Homestore and More yesterday, although not on display. I'm wondering if anyone has the 7ft Nebraska tree they sell and if so if they can tell me how wide it is when put up? I'm a little limited for space with furniture etc which wasn't an issue with our old small tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

we bought a tree in brown tomas a couple of days before christmas 4 years ago. greatly reduced. 7 ft, comes in 3 parts. you just put it together and pull out the brances to make them look proper.

the last tree we had lasted 30 years. it cost 70 pounds in quinnsworth moons ago and was a bit of a pain to assemble as the brances were colour coded and as they got older they lost the ability to work properly:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

markc1184 wrote: »
    Also on the lookout for a new tree this year. I seen some in Homestore and More yesterday, although not on display. I'm wondering if anyone has the 7ft Nebraska tree they sell and if so if they can tell me how wide it is when put up? I'm a little limited for space with furniture etc which wasn't an issue with our old small tree.

I bought the 7ft one last year Mark. It's beautiful but it is big. It's very wide and thick. We managed to fit it in but only just. Ask the guys in store for the measurements of the width and see can you measure an area where you going to put it.

If you can find the space I'd highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

You need to figure out the space you have to display it and maybe go for a narrow tree.
    Then figure out what style of decoration you like and what tree displays this best.
    Figure out how it assembles before you buy, iom an umbrella type system is best.

If you are investing think storage, how do you can get it into your storage easily. The tree never fits back into the box the same way so split into smaller boxes, if you can ask family to keep big toy boxes. Visit the off licence! delivery pack (6) wine boxes with the cardboard dividers make great bauble boxes, the wine is an optional extra! Collect/recycle smallish boxes for the whole lot and label each box with what's in it, that way you can so a room per day.

I would look for one with lights installed, i bought with no lights, the 4 sets of clip on candles takes the best part of a day to clip them on. If using separate lights buy an extension cable with individual switches and store this in the tree box.

The last old Christmas tree became kitchen unit wreaths so that 70 punts is still going.
    A lot of stores put the stuff on sale before Christmas so if you spot something very expensive keep an eye and check with staff for stock levels. Or buy a returnable item keep the reciept and hold in the box for a while, you are not likely to return it but will feel less guilt when you pull it from the back of the wardrobe:rolleyes::D

Dont try to buy everything this year and if you are buying very expensive bits dont go for a very fashionable colour but something which will blend in over a number of years.
    Have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

OP, we were in the same position as you... buying the tree for our first year in the new house.

we went with this one from Amazon, delivered via parcel motel.

We got it for €205 at the time of ordering and free delivery to PM in the north. The tree was 15kg and we incurred a €15 PM fee. so total was €220 for us.

Obviously we haven't put it up yet, but I couldn't wait to open it and have a look - I didn't take it out of the box but the "bristles" feel really good on it. It is a fully PE tipped tree, as opposed to PVC, which I feel makes a huge difference.

This is an interesting read on the difference between PVC and PE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

I'm liking the look of this fella for my kitchen: http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/christmas-light-up-decorations/silver-glitter-christmas-tree-7ft/invt/067599

The nebraska looks amazing, but would take up half the room unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Uriel. wrote: »
    OP, we were in the same position as you... buying the tree for our first year in the new house.

we went with this one from Amazon, delivered via parcel motel.

We got it for €205 at the time of ordering and free delivery to PM in the north. The tree was 15kg and we incurred a €15 PM fee. so total was €220 for us.

Obviously we haven't put it up yet, but I couldn't wait to open it and have a look - I didn't take it out of the box but the "bristles" feel really good on it. It is a fully PE tipped tree, as opposed to PVC, which I feel makes a huge difference.

This is an interesting read on the difference between PVC and PE

This looks exactly like my current one. Full from top to bottom and branches fall perfectly into place, just need to spread out the stems. Maybe you could take a pic and upload it when the thread to show off trees comes back?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Yep happy to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Loving this thread, have a new house too, already looking at christmas trees and decor for the front windows. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The Orchard in cell bridge is very good.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Woodies used to do nice Christmas trees. I bought a big 7 foot realistic looking tree in 2004 for about €110. I live in apartment now and don't really have space for a big tree so I got a narrow, tall tree in Woodies last year for €80. Perfect for an apartment!:)

In the family home we always had a large real tree in the living/dining room but I would put up a 6 foot artificial tree in the den as a second tree. My parents bought it when they were married in 1967 and it lasted 45 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I got one in work for Christmas as it was always a waste getting a real one.. It really depends on your budget. After going along to most stores Woodies, BnQ found the best value was Homestore and More. I remember there was some deal online where you could get it delivered in all. Nearly sure twas less than €60.00 in the end. Now tisnt real looking or anything but it is great, as sillysocks says the putting together and taking apart is one to watch for. Some are painfull. This was a three or four bit one, all colour coded so you knew what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I have my artificial tree 10 years now - got it in my local hardware store. Think it was maybe €70 at the time, but they still stock similar ones every year and they haven't increased significantly in price. So don't always stick to the big stores.

As mentioned above - check how it goes together. Mine is one that splits into 3 pieces and folds umbrella style as mentioned above. I'm very pernickety (sp?) verging on OCD about putting away my decorations every year. Pay attention to how it is folded when you take it out of the box and you will get it back in. Mine is still in the original box - same with all my delicate ornaments.

I have had occasion to put up those trees with the individually coded branches....just don't do that to yourself!!! It's painful!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I got mine here http://www.irishchristmastrees.com/mall/departmentpage.cfm/IrishChristmasTrees/54540/1/1 it's the place that does the trees in Milltown, but they had a show room in Dundrum village. We bought it after Christmas, so it was greatly reduced down to €250, which I know is expensive, but it looks really really real, and it's one of those ones that will last a lifetime. Christmas 2015 was the first time we used it and it was fantastic.

Another place that had fabulous ones is Johnstown Garden Centre, but when we were looking (after Christmas) they were all sold out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Was in Homestore earlier on a recce trip. They had the 8ft Nebraska for 179.99. Only draw back is that it's not an umbrella style one, all the branches have to be put on singly. The girl said it only took them 30 mins to put it up but I'm not sure.... Think I'll check some of the garden centres before making a final decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Was in Homestore earlier on a recce trip. They had the 8ft Nebraska for 179.99. Only draw back is that it's not an umbrella style one, all the branches have to be put on singly. The girl said it only took them 30 mins to put it up but I'm not sure.... Think I'll check some of the garden centres before making a final decision

In fairness it doesn't take that long to put up, esp if you pack it away carefully with all the same size branches together but it's just a pain. Esp in January when you just want it down and put away quickly but you know you're better off to do it carefully and keep the branches in order etc.

Advertisement