Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know Your Elves - #3 Alicat

Options
  • 07-11-2016 8:55am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's week 3. Midterm is over and November is here. The cold is well and truely here and Christmas ads are beginning to take over the tv. We are rolling into Christmas :D

This week we are joined by one of our long time posters, our amazing Alicat.

So kicking off, Quality street or roses?
    Fantasy selection box (you can pick and mix any 5 items)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hufflepuff

New Christmas pj's for Christmas eve , yay or nay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Loughc wrote: »
    It's week 3. Midterm is over and November is here. The cold is well and truely here and Christmas ads are beginning to take over the tv. We are rolling into Christmas :D

This week we are joined by one of our long time posters, our amazing Alicat.

So kicking off, Quality street or roses?
    Fantasy selection box (you can pick and mix any 5 items)

Yay! Thank you! :)

Roses all the way!

I'd choose Kinder Bueno, one of those little packs of 3/4 Ferrero Rocher (that can count as one item...), Twirl, Galaxy Bar and a Whole Nut

Hufflepuff wrote: »
    New Christmas pj's for Christmas eve , yay or nay ?

My mum buys me a new pair of Christmas PJs every year, but she gives them to me on Christmas Day. I do kinda wish I had them for Christmas Eve but I know she struggles buying me things (apparently I'm difficult to buy for!) so I don't want to upset her shopping plans. Every Christmas for the past few years she's had a slightly sad look on her face and says "I didn't get you enough, your pile looks very small," despite me reassuring her that she got me plenty and I'm very happy with it all. So I don't want to make it worse by changing it now! I'll definitely do it Christmas Eve with my imaginary future children though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

What's your favourite part of the Christmas dinner?

What's your favourite part of the Christmas dinner?

Potato stuffing! I could eat a whole bowl!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

What's your favourite Christmas memory?

Is there a gift you are hoping to receive this year?

Favourite Christmas movie and/or tv special?

What's your favourite Christmas memory?

Coming down the stairs in the dark with my little brother and seeing the warm glow of the Christmas tree lights just around the sitting room door, and you just knew what would be waiting for you :)
    Is there a gift you are hoping to receive this year?

Not particularly, but I might put any money I get towards a new laptop.
    Favourite Christmas movie and/or tv special?

Home Alone, if I really had to choose! My brother, my mum and I can rattle off the entire dialogue to each other. I had the lucky experience of travelling back from New York in business class a few months back, and I was all excited by the real glassware and cutlery. I was chuckling to my fiancé about putting it in my purse, but he didn't get it! I had to message my bro and he knew instantly what I was talking about :pac:

401062.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

First of Alicat that analogy of the plane made me snort-laugh in work and everyone looked at me, I hope you're happy.

What's your favourite Hot Chocolate: Butlers, Costa, Star Bucks, A.N. Other?

What's your favourite Christmas Shop?

Apart from home what's the christmasyist place in your town for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Alicat wrote: »
    Potato stuffing! I could eat a whole bowl!

What, preytell, is this fabulous sounding thing? Potatoes AND stuffing? :eek:

Christmas jumpers: yay or nay?

What "era" of Christmas music do you like most? Like old school 40's/ 50's, the 70's &80's tacky heyday or more modern stuff like a bit of Buble?

Oh, and do you still put up stockings in your house?

What, preytell, is this fabulous sounding thing? Potatoes AND stuffing? :eek:

Yes! Well, the potato IS the stuffing, no breadcrumbs. I figured lots of people had it! According to my mother;

"Mashed potatoes, loads of chopped raw onion, salt, pepper and loads of fresh thyme. Don't make too far in advance as it can go sour especially with the raw onion. Night before is ok and stuffing should be cold going into turkey or it may poison you!!"

When she takes it out of the turkey she tends to mix it with some extra potato to stretch it out. It's DELICIOUS.
    Christmas jumpers: yay or nay?

Yay all the way! For the entire month of December when I'm not in work!
    What "era" of Christmas music do you like most? Like old school 40's/ 50's, the 70's &80's tacky heyday or more modern stuff like a bit of Buble?

ALL of the music! :D I play old school more often. I love Buble but I kinda consider him 'old school'.
    Oh, and do you still put up stockings in your house?

Definitely :D But they go on our bedroom door handles! Then in the morning we know that Santa has been because the stockings are gone and there's 'ufel dust' (glitter) on the carpet, leading downstairs.

I'm 32 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Potato stuffing sounds amazing!!! :D

Two of my favourite things combined!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Yes! Well, the potato IS the stuffing, no breadcrumbs. I figured lots of people had it! According to my mother;

"Mashed potatoes, loads of chopped raw onion, salt, pepper and loads of fresh thyme. Don't make too far in advance as it can go sour especially with the raw onion. Night before is ok and stuffing should be cold going into turkey or it may poison you!!"

When she takes it out of the turkey she tends to mix it with some extra potato to stretch it out. It's DELICIOUS.

fOTlhkj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That's always the way it's done in our house and is undoubtedly my favourite part of the dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've always wanted to have potato stuffing. I love the bread stuffing my dad makes but potato stuffing always sounded better to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭AG123

Do you watch the toy show? If so, have you any toy show traditions?!

When do you put up your decorations?

Are there any family traditions that you most look forward to each year?

I had a post typed for this but it mustn't have posted!
    Jude13 wrote: »
    First of Alicat that analogy of the plane made me snort-laugh in work and everyone looked at me, I hope you're happy.

Delighted! :D
    What's your favourite Hot Chocolate: Butlers, Costa, Star Bucks, A.N. Other?

Do you know I haven't really bought a hot chocolate in a long while... An investigation must be made, with plenty of research!
    What's your favourite Christmas Shop?

Malahide Garden Centre! Arnotts and BT are underwhelming these days.
    Apart from home what's the christmasyist place in your town for you?

The garden centre, or despite not being religious at all, the local Catholic Church is really lovely for carols. To go a bit further, the buzz on Grafton Street is marvellous.

Mandygav wrote: »
    Do you watch the toy show? If so, have you any toy show traditions?!

Every year without fail! Even bought myself some Toy Show PJs this year :) Only recently I've been using the Toy Show as my cue to put up my tree.
    When do you put up your decorations?

Some trinkety bits start filtering in over the next few weeks, but then the Toy Show means all engines are go! :D
    Are there any family traditions that you most look forward to each year?

Making the Christmas Cakes! We do it in my Mum's house, with a Christmas movie or two. She makes two or three cakes together as she gives them to various members of the family. 91 year old Granny comes up to 'help' but that means drinking sherry or a brandy while we pass her some dates to nibble on.

The tree is just the pinnacle of our traditions. Dad and I always go pick it, normally something huge which barely fits in the room, never mind the car. Then all the tack of 30 years worth of Christmases goes up on the latest monstrosity in a blaze of multicoloured fabulousness.

Our Christmas Eve party is also a big tradition, with between 16 and 23 family and friends. It's manic and noisy and just the most fun :) My Dad dresses up as Santa and everyone gets a present, which always includes some sort of obligatory headgear.

Advertisement