Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FPL Chips / Wildcard Strategy 2016/17

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

I'm either using AOA next week to play Capoue or if the Swansea lineup is leaked and Kingsley starts, I may ship Capoue to De Roon :pac:

End of the season probably best time to play it strategically since we have higher TVs and I'm sure many of us will do the DGW BB again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

It was my plan last year. Readjusted it with thehectic schedule. Did not work. But wouldn't have worked anyway. Problem is when most teams have nothing to play for, which was roughly the case last year, whatever hard we try we fail...

This chip is a complete roulette. Total luck addition to the game. They should remove it. The only useful use I see is when you have an injury crisis at the back. But a well balanced -4 could turn out much better as we experience every GW.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

iroced wrote: »
    It was my plan last year. Readjusted it with thehectic schedule. Did not work. But wouldn't have worked anyway. Problem is when most teams have nothing to play for, which was roughly the case last year, whatever hard we try we fail...

This chip is a complete roulette. Total luck addition to the game. They should remove it. The only useful use I see is when you have an injury crisis at the back. But a well balanced -4 could turn out much better as we experience every GW.

This is the thing, generally when you have a "healthy" ;) approach to hits and defensive disaster presents an opportunity.

GW38 this year has some potentially nice match ups, depending on the context at the time, think Chelsea closing out the title against relegated Sunderland for example.

I think if I work towards the fixtures and use the AOA to have an extra attacker from one of them it may be the best, and definitely the most fun way to use this pointless chip.

FHFC wrote: »
    This is the thing, generally when you have a "healthy" ;) approach to hits and defensive disaster presents an opportunity.

GW38 this year has some potentially nice match ups, depending on the context at the time, think Chelsea closing out the title against relegated Sunderland for example.

I think if I work towards the fixtures and use the AOA to have an extra attacker from one of them it may be the best, and definitely the most fun way to use this pointless chip.

It's likely they'll have it won before that game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

It's likely they'll have it won before that game though.

Impossible to call that now IMO. Lot of contenders and a long way to go, high chance it could go to the wire.

That's just a possible example though, Liverpool v Boro, Man U v Palace, Watford v City are other examples of potential good fixtures depending on who is trying to win title, confirm CL place etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Just wondering if may of you have your first wildcard left and what you think the best strategy is.

So I'm happy with my starting 11, my OR is 5k but my bench is Marney (BUR), Love (SUN) and Amat (SWA), basically absolute muck.

I'm toying with the idea of
    Aguero -> Kane
    Marney -> Walcott/Siggy/Chadli/Ozil/Payet
    Love/Amat -> anyone better that plays

See how that goes and if I get the absolute fear of not having Aguero I can play the WC and rectify it

Does anyone have a better plan or thoughts on this plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Green&Red wrote: »
    Just wondering if may of you have your first wildcard left and what you think the best strategy is.

So I'm happy with my starting 11, my OR is 5k but my bench is Marney (BUR), Love (SUN) and Amat (SWA), basically absolute muck.

I'm toying with the idea of
    Aguero -> Kane
    Marney -> Walcott/Siggy/Chadli/Ozil/Payet
    Love/Amat -> anyone better that plays

See how that goes and if I get the absolute fear of not having Aguero I can play the WC and rectify it

Does anyone have a better plan or thoughts on this plan?

Yeah I've still got my WC. I'm on a -8 this week and still want to keep it until gw14/15. My "move" involved dropping Lukaku early for Costa.

With your rank it is probably not advised to ditch Aguero especially this week imo.
    At he same time I was looking at this exact trade next week myself.
    I had not considered going to a Fr8 and giving myself a benching decision each week. Of course it guards against rotation and may help you delay the WC but I'd prioritise upgrading a defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Would love an all out defence chip this week.

I'd happily play any combination of my 5 defenders and 2 GKs as no doubt I'm going to leave a clean sheet on the bench.

carnie wrote: »
    Out of interest how did the bench boasters get on this week?
    Let's use this GW22 Matchday Thread question to develop further my perception of it in here.

For me the BB (and to a lesser extent AOA) is not a 1 GW chip. Since most plan their team ahead for using the chips. So to be perfectly fair, you'd have to take into account the GWs around the use of the chip to assess its efficiency. I mean without the chips, you'd have certainly played very differently.

Personally, I got 11 pts from my bench. Heaton, Defoe, Holebas, Baines. Actually, just starting from here and listing these players makes little sense of a bench since I selected at least 2 of them (Baines & Defoe) for not being bench players for this very GW in particular. The other 2 were more "get someone cheap who will rotate from time to time and has a decent chance of a great return for BB GW".

11 pts look crap when GW1&2 respectively got me 25 & 24 pts on the bench.
    But, I WCed last GW and got a massive 101 pts. It's a part of my BB since I selected most of my team accordingly.

Examples of how wrong and deceptive it can be to look at your BB over the sole GW you're playing it.
      Holebas 0 pointer. Defoe & Giroud 2 pointers.
      During my WC, I debated B'mouth def instead of Holebas. The best one of them is Smith. Got 6 pts at the week-end. But he returned 0 last GW. Holebas did the opposite and I precisely had kept him for his good fixture last GW hoping he'd provide attacking pts this GW. So "deuce" here :p.

Defoe & Giroud. £15.4m. 6+2 & 5+2. Obviously Kane returned much better. 17+5. But he was worth £11.0m. And there's no option upfront at £4.4m. If I had kept Costa whom I got in very late I'd have only increased this amount to £4.7m IIRC. Don't think there are any options I'd have been happy with for that price. And anyway Costa did not outscore any of these 2 significantly. So, the only alternative was to save money from my midfield (Sanchez, Alli, Phillips, Pedro, Coutinho). I wanted 'Pool attacking cover and did not fancy any of their forwards so got a midfielder instead. Pb is I got Coutinho which makes this attacking 3-way plan fail. Stanislas would have been much better of course over the 2 GWs. He's the only one I debated so no point looking elsewhere.

[*]Now 2 other "opposite" examples...

McAuley & Alli. Kept them both (actually got Alli for Eriksen) with a long-term view in mind. Brunt was doubtful during my WC week so could not make the sideway move. McAuley stayed on my bench last GW and returned above expectations this GW. Alli exactly matched Eriksen over the 2 GWs. And the only player with a favourable BB fixture who outscore him is Firmino whom I did not consider at all for some reason I don't understand myself :pac:.

Pedro & Coutinho whom I precisely got in for BB purpose. Plan was to bench Coutinho last GW and hope for a masterclass this week-end. Pedro was there because of the Costa situation and plan was to reassess now before Chelsea tougher run of 2/3 fixtures. Pedro returned great over the 2 games so despite his 3 pointer yesterday I count him as a great success. Coutinho was the disaster.

[*]I could go on like that. Phillips in the first category. Disappointing. Giroud & Defoe in the second. Decent.

I'm now left with a strong defense, Alonso Baines with McAuley Chambers Holebas to rotate. I could add Phillips to the rotation depending on fixtures.
    Pedro, Giroud & Defoe situations to be assessed as planned. Coutinho is the spanner in the works.

So far, my BB is successful but my BB is not my 11 extra points of GW22. It's part of a mid-term plan. It includes my gigantic score last GW and will include my next 2/3 GWs scores. And I believe this applies to everyone. Or, you'd have to play your BB either without any planning or inconsciously on a random GW. If someone had done it for me for either GW1 or 2, I could have said I gained 25/24 pts thanks to BB. For GW 10 & 11 I'd have added the grand total of 0 point to my scores. But the way I played it, summarising it on the 11 pts I added to my GW22 score is only the visible part of the iceberg.

And I'd say this also applies to the AOA that most of us play when we think we have a strong enough front 8. I played mine in a week where I did not want to use a transfer or -4 for a def I wanted to keep long-term but was either suspended or injured for that very GW. I got no benefit from it since one of my doubtful def did eventually play and got the same return than my 5th mid. C'est la vie.

TC is different since it doesn't require any large planning. In general, you go for a premium candidate over a DGW. In general too you do not go for Lukaku :pac:.

Overall though, I don't like what these chips bring to the game. They're just a bunch of distracting gadgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Overall though, I don't like what these chips bring to the game. They're just a bunch of distracting gadgets.
    I agree they're distracting, ignore them and they'll leave you alone

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I agree they're distracting, ignore them and they'll leave you alone
    Well no, we live in democracies (though here these chips have been totalitarianistically imposed to us :pac:), I can disagree with the rule but respect and follow it.

These chips are now a full part of the game, I have to adapt even if I don't like them. Something I'd have liked is FPL asking the players what they think of it. Maybe even after a few years of using them. Good idea for most? Keep 'em. Bad idea? Remove 'em.

Anyway, that's a complete different point than the one I'm making in my previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Let's use this GW22 Matchday Thread question to develop further my perception of it in here.

For me the BB (and to a lesser extent AOA) is not a 1 GW chip. Since most plan their team ahead for using the chips. So to be perfectly fair, you'd have to take into account the GWs around the use of the chip to assess its efficiency. I mean without the chips, you'd have certainly played very differently.

Personally, I got 11 pts from my bench. Heaton, Defoe, Holebas, Baines.

11 pts look crap when GW1&2 respectively got me 25 & 24 pts on the bench.
    But, I WCed last GW and got a massive 101 pts. It's a part of my BB since I selected most of my team accordingly.

Examples of how wrong and deceptive it can be to look at your BB over the sole GW you're playing it.
      Holebas 0 pointer. Defoe & Giroud 2 pointers.
      During my WC, I debated B'mouth def instead of Holebas. The best one of them is Smith. Got 6 pts at the week-end. But he returned 0 last GW. Holebas did the opposite and I precisely had kept him for his good fixture last GW hoping he'd provide attacking pts this GW. So "deuce" here :p.

Defoe & Giroud. £15.4m. 6+2 & 5+2. Obviously Kane returned much better. 17+5. But he was worth £11.0m. And there's no option upfront at £4.4m. If I had kept Costa whom I got in very late I'd have only increased this amount to £4.7m IIRC. Don't think there are any options I'd have been happy with for that price. And anyway Costa did not outscore any of these 2 significantly. So, the only alternative was to save money from my midfield (Sanchez, Alli, Phillips, Pedro, Coutinho). I wanted 'Pool attacking cover and did not fancy any of their forwards so got a midfielder instead. Pb is I got Coutinho which makes this attacking 3-way plan fail. Stanislas would have been much better of course over the 2 GWs. He's the only one I debated so no point looking elsewhere.

[*]Now 2 other "opposite" examples...

McAuley & Alli. Kept them both (actually got Alli for Eriksen) with a long-term view in mind. Brunt was doubtful during my WC week so could not make the sideway move. McAuley stayed on my bench last GW and returned above expectations this GW. Alli exactly matched Eriksen over the 2 GWs. And the only player with a favourbale BB fixture who outscore him is Firmino whom I did not consider at all for some reason I don't understand myself :pac:.

Pedro & Coutinho whom I precisely got in for BB purpose. Plan was to bench Coutinho last GW and hope for a masterclass this week-end. Pedro was there because of the Costa situation and plan was to reassess now before Chelsea tougher run of 2/3 fixtures. Pedro returned great over the 2 games so despite his 3 pointer yesterday I count him as a great success. Coutinho was the disaster.

[*]I could go on like that. Phillips in the first category. Disappointing. Giroud & Defoe in the second. Decent.

I'm now left with a strong defense, Alonso Baines with McAuley Chambers Holebas to rotate. I could add Phillips to the rotation depending on fixtures.
    Pedro, Giroud & Defoe situations to be assessed as planned. Coutinho is the spanner in the works.

So far, my BB is successful but my BB is not my 11 extra points of GW22. It's part of a mid-term plan. It includes my gigantic score last GW and will include my next 2/3 GWs scores. And I believe this applies to everyone. Or, you'd have to play your BB either without any planning or inconsciously on a random GW. If someone had done it for me for either GW1 or 2, I could have said I gained 25/24 pts thanks to BB. For GW 10 & 11 I'd have added the grand total of 0 point to my scores. But the way I played it, summarising it on the 11 pts I added to my GW22 score is only the visible part of the iceberg.

And I'd say this also applies to the AOA that most of us play when we think we have a strong enough front 8. I played mine in a week where I did not want to use a transfer or -4 for a def I wanted to keep long-term but was either suspended or injured for that very GW. I got no benefit from it since one of my doubtful def did eventually play and got the same return than my 5th mid. C'est la vie.

TC is different since it doesn't require any large planning. In general, you go for a premium candidate over a DGW. In general too you do not go for Lukaku :pac:.

Agree with what you are saying and its why I dispute the conventional wildcard before a dgw and then BB being the only strategy. I've been banging this drum a long time and its why I'd in no way hesitate to play an early wildcard or bb in a sgw. I think deep down a lot of people like to have the so called boost in your rankings at the end when in reality it makes no difference when you get the boost. In particular if your not happy with your team your crazy to wait till the end.

Agree with what you are saying and its why I dispute the conventional wildcard before a dgw and then BB being the only strategy. I've been banging this drum a long time and its why I'd in no way hesitate to play an early wildcard or bb in a sgw. I think deep down a lot of people like to have the so called boost in your rankings at the end when in reality it makes no difference when you get the boost. In particular if your not happy with your team your crazy to wait till the end.
    True but the game has changed though. The conventional WC strategy you're refering to is almost an utopia now. We're seeing far more rotation from last year and the huge PL deal than in the past. Probably a combination of the big money of the PL that allow 20 big and more talented PL sides that make every game a tougher challenge than in the past, and the arrival of rotation-prone managers (Klopp, Guardiola, etc...). e.g. Klopp rotated Mignolet for the DGW last year :eek:. That was probably a premiere in the (FPL) game.
    But, in the past, if you never needed more than an 8 pts hit to suit your team, a late WC could bring huge dividends over the late DGWs. I used it successfully 2 years in a row. I also used successfully an early WC twice. There's no unique way of playing anyway. But I feel now the late WC for BB purposes is too dependent on luck to be a great strategy. And for example, this season, I'd rather use my WC (if I still had it) to absorb the blanks better than the others than keep it for the late DGW.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I wouldn't class klopp as a rotational manager based on his time at Liverpool. The last 8-10 games of last season it was clear that the Europa lge was the main goal and teams were picked with that in mind. The league position became fairly irrelevant and I think he just targeted certain lge games in the run in and used others to have a look at squad players. He pretty much picks the same team every week this season when players are fit.

Yeah that's true regarding the Europa League last year. But I thought he was rotating a bit his attacking players while in Dortmund. Must check that...
    I feel he's also a manager who's not afraid of an early change if needs be.
    Which is essentially a pretty good thing. Just not quite FPL-compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Yeah that's true regarding the Europa League last year. But I thought he was rotating a bit his attacking players while in Dortmund. Must check that...
    I feel he's also a manager who's not afraid of an early change if needs be.
    Which is essentially a pretty good thing. Just not quite FPL-compatible.

I think you will find that one of the criticisms of Klopp is that he is slow to make subs at times. A lot of his 'early' subs seem planned in advance and involve players coming back from injury coming on/going off. In match tactical subs tend to be made quite late i.e. After the 75th minute.

If everyone is available his starting XI is clear and with no Europe I don't foresee much (if any) rotation.

@Benimar. All right... I guess I must have a biased perception cause Klopp stung me so many times FPL-wise :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭skippy15

Am I mad to consider bb this get, 15 playing players once rose and Kane passed fit
    Foster
    Alonso rose baines
    Sanchez Ali coutinho Stanislaus Pedro
    Kane iba

Jakup_ mun
    Friend_ west Bromwich
    Crouch_eve
    Holg_stoke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Wildcards are split into two parts since last season so you can use the first up until GW19 and the second from GW20 until GW38.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

i done my wild card what do uses think

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

foster , grant . apcilicueta . walker coleman. nyom. pieters. sterling. alli . walcott . antonio . schneiderlin . kane. caroll . ibrah.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Not anymore. It's one wildcard for the first half of the season and one wildcard for the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

beaver111 wrote: »
    foster , grant . apcilicueta . walker coleman. nyom. pieters. sterling. alli . walcott . antonio . schneiderlin . kane. caroll . ibrah.

Why Schneiderlin if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Still have all my chips, must look into using my WC at least.

This GW or wait until the internationals?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Dempsey wrote: »

I'm waiting for the GW29 at the earliest but mat still leave it later.

Dempsey wrote: »

If I still had mine I'd either
    1. Try and get as many players for GW28 huge blank (without taking too many hits if possible) and WC right after to readjust my team ;
    2. Play it for the late DGW (maybe even waiting for THE DGW itself - the WC 1 GW before the BB GW was a russian roulette last year so even 1 GW is too much an aniticpation I'd say :p).

- edit -
    But if you feel you need to WC before that, then WC. Waiting and planning for the perfect late WC is a kinda deceptive illusion. 'Cause if your team isn't in great shape you'll need an absolute perfect WC to recover from all you'd have lost before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Many of the 'wrong' teams, Liverpool in particular, had DGWs last year. And the teams we needed to have a DGW like Leicester and Spurs didn't.
    At this stage it looks likely to be a more favourable set of teams, so should be much less of a 'Russian Roulette'. Last season could ultimately become the exception.

• Advertisement

Many of the 'wrong' teams, Liverpool in particular, had DGWs last year. And the teams we needed to have a DGW like Leicester and Spurs didn't.
    At this stage it looks likely to be a more favourable set of teams, so should be much less of a 'Russian Roulette'. Last season could ultimately become the exception.
    That's right.

But, at this rhythm, Chelsea may well have the title secured by then. On the contrary, Liverpool may be out of the game for CL spot. Who knows, the positions might be more sealed than we'd like them to be.

For what I can remember my best late DGWs were mainly made of secondary teams players, e.g. I remember Dempsey at Fulham being a super hero for me (particularly considering his fairly low ownership).

Now, let's hope for City, Spurs, Arsenal & MU fighting for a CL spot over a DGW. Then it'll be game on :)!

My main point though regarding this second WC and I realise I did not express it well enough is not to be overly focused on plannig (too much) ahead. If you need to WC before the blanks and DGWs, just do it. And you'll worry about them when the time'll come.

Advertisement