Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric Trolleys

Options
  • 08-07-2016 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

I currently carry, but my back and shoulder aren't in perfect condition due to previous injuries, so have been using a pull trolley some of the time. Due to this I'm considering picking up an electric trolley, but don't know what to go for.

I had an S1 push trolley before and it's too big when folded in the boot so want something smaller than that when folded, so I've been considering the M1. Ideally I'd like a Lithium battery, but an M1 Lithium isn't cheap. Has anyone any suggestions for something cheaper than an M1, folds up as small, and Lithium?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I have a Golf Glider Lithium and find it good - compact, light and durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Dr.Rieux wrote: »
    I currently carry, but my back and shoulder aren't in perfect condition due to previous injuries, so have been using a pull trolley some of the time. Due to this I'm considering picking up an electric trolley, but don't know what to go for.

I had an S1 push trolley before and it's too big when folded in the boot so want something smaller than that when folded, so I've been considering the M1. Ideally I'd like a Lithium battery, but an M1 Lithium isn't cheap. Has anyone any suggestions for something cheaper than an M1, folds up as small, and Lithium?

American Golf are promoting a range of Motocaddy trollies with Lithium batteries at the moment. Not cheap, but you might find one that suits you. Like yourself, I'd be looking for something that folds up pretty neat if I were to get one. I'm using a 3 wheeler push trolly. Perfect on the flat but a bit of effort pushing uphill on hilly courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

American Golf are promoting a range of Motocaddy trollies with Lithium batteries at the moment. Not cheap, but you might find one that suits you. Like yourself, I'd be looking for something that folds up pretty neat if I were to get one. I'm using a 3 wheeler push trolly. Perfect on the flat but a bit of effort pushing uphill on hilly courses.

If you are buying anything of value at the moment then don't pass American Golf in Cork. 25% off everything in store for the last few months. Serious savings to be made. Presumably it's to beat off competition from McGuirks and Halpenny Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

If you are buying anything of value at the moment then don't pass American Golf in Cork. 25% off everything in store for the last few months. Serious savings to be made. Presumably it's to beat off competition from McGuirks and Halpenny Golf.

Making a big splurge in September, do you think it will be still going then?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

I bought an M1 Pro with the 18 hole Lithium battery today, I unfortunately won't get out until the boards outing in Castlemartyr with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Dr.Rieux wrote: »
    I bought an M1 Pro with the 18 hole Lithium battery today, I unfortunately won't get out until the boards outing in Castlemartyr with it.

Do you mind me asking how much for this? and where did you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

I got a brand new S3 Pro off adverts a few months back for 250euro, guy won it and just wanted rid of it, only had lead acid battery but when that dies ill just buy a lithium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Making a big splurge in September, do you think it will be still going then?

Sorry about the delay. It should be as it has been going since the new year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

As this thread is only a good 3 months old I will hijack it shamelessly. :cool:

On those lithium batteries. I am wondering did anyone ever find an 18 hole lithium wouldn't last the 18 holes? For example when it gets that little bit soggier in the winter?

I'll be needing a new battery very soon. I'm considering buying a whole new trolley. Up to this point I only ever had 36 hole (25+ amp) lead acid batteries. The bigger capacity to make sure it could handle the winter months. I have no experience with lithium batteries.

So whats your experience if you don't mind? I also would be interested did anyone have to replace a lithium battery yet? If so how much did you get out of it over its lifetime?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

As this thread is only a good 3 months old I will hijack it shamelessly. :cool:

On those lithium batteries. I am wondering did anyone ever find an 18 hole lithium wouldn't last the 18 holes? For example when it gets that little bit soggier in the winter?

I'll be needing a new battery very soon. I'm considering buying a whole new trolley. Up to this point I only ever had 36 hole (25+ amp) lead acid batteries. The bigger capacity to make sure it could handle the winter months. I have no experience with lithium batteries.

So whats your experience if you don't mind? I also would be interested did anyone have to replace a lithium battery yet? If so how much did you get out of it over its lifetime?

I have recently bought a new trolly with an 18 hole lithium. My course is flat so there's not much extra work for the trolly to do. Last week I played 27 holes and it was still going strong.

• Advertisement

Went for the Motocaddy S1 with the 18 hole lithium battery. Got it for 359 sterling from americangolf.co.uk, thats very good. Nearly €100 cheaper than on their Irish website. Shipping to Ireland was free. Unfortunately as I'm looking today its back to 399.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Went for the Motocaddy S1 with the 18 hole lithium battery. Got it for 359 sterling from americangolf.co.uk, thats very good. Nearly €100 cheaper than on their Irish website. Shipping to Ireland was free. Unfortunately as I'm looking today its back to 399.

I have mine a few weeks and I'm very happy with it. How you finding yours?

I have mine a few weeks and I'm very happy with it. How you finding yours?

It only arrived today and I haven't actually used it yet. My first impression is very good though. Smart design, well made and very sturdy; which I would expect for that kind of money. The battery weighs nothing compared to my old one. I'm happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

Hi all,

Just wondering, have a golf glider that has had to have a replacement lead acid battery 3 or 4 times in the last 4 years. Is it a case that if i buy a lithium battery and charger that it will still work with the glider, or am i better off getting a whole new trolley?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Even lead acid battery's should last more that a year

They should, but 18months max is whats happening and before anyone asks, its a very flat parkland course. gave up after 15 holes today and its not much over 12 months old. Different houses and different chargers have been used over the years and batterys and chargers and trolley have been looked at. Always is the battery at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Austmcc wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering, have a golf glider that has had to have a replacement lead acid battery 3 or 4 times in the last 4 years. Is it a case that if i buy a lithium battery and charger that it will still work with the glider, or am i better off getting a whole new trolley?

I have an old glider that I have used for years. Lead batteries used to last for about 2 years then I found they were only lasting a bit more than a year. I then got a lithium battery for the glider but it was not going the full 18 holes on long courses. Keswick in Churchtown, the Glider perople, from whom I bought it sorted the problem by replacing the motor as it was an older type. Since then it has been going well and there has been no problem on long courses. While the Powacaddy and Motocaddy may look better the Glider, as someone said earlier, is bullet proof with local service if you have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

They should, but 18months max is whats happening and before anyone asks, its a very flat parkland course. gave up after 15 holes today and its not much over 12 months old. Different houses and different chargers have been used over the years and batterys and chargers and trolley have been looked at. Always is the battery at fault.

How many times do you play in a year?

Is it genuine batteries that you're buying? Do you leave it connected to the trolley when not in use?

Most people at my club seem to be getting 2-3 years out of their battery.

My last lead acid battery is still going strong after 2 years, it'll do 18 at the longest course in my area. I done 70-80 rounds in the second year, slight less the first year.

Senna wrote: »

Is it genuine batteries that you're buying? Do you leave it connected to the trolley when not in use?

My last lead acid battery is still going strong after 2 years, it'll do 18 at the longest course in my area. I done 70-80 rounds in the second year, slight less the first year.

Average 2/3 rounds a week now a days, only once a week in previous years. yep all genuine batteries. No, its never left connected to the trolley after a round.

The main question is can i just get a lithium battery and expect to connect it to the trolley as is. I think i'll contact golf glider to clear things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Senna wrote: »

Average 2/3 rounds a week now a days, only once a week in previous years. yep all genuine batteries. No, its never left connected to the trolley after a round.

The main question is can i just get a lithium battery and expect to connect it to the trolley as is. I think i'll contact golf glider to clear things up.
    Should be no problem. I changed from Lead Acid to Lithium with the same GG trolley and it runs fine. You do need a new charger but its lighter, re-charges faster and lasts longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Has anyone purchased one of these recently? Looking for one for my dad for around the €400 mark. Any of the powakaddy ones seem a good bit above that mark. Looking to buy new ideally.
    Anyone any recommendations around this budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

I’d recommend the Golf Glider too, I’ve mine for 17 years and it’s still going strong. I’ve had to buy a battery twice over that time and had it serviced by the lads too. I like the idea of supporting a local company too.

https://golfglider.ie/product/golf-glider-classic-lite/
    €550 seems to be the cheapest (new) one available, slightly above the budget.

Do any exist around the €400 mark?

There's a few models online when you google, but I wonder would I be wasting time and money going with the chepaer option.
    https://www.irishsportswarehouse.ie/hillman-pro-kart-electric-golf-trolley?gclid=CjwKCAjwgdX4BRB_EiwAg8O8HSub3igfA4QO8ckaeLJkCn2c4uXIpdDyM5KBuYWIDrZcgZXrKciF4RoC8ZkQAvD_BwE

This one is €320, but hard to find reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

I’ve motocaddy for last 3 years and never an issue. Was looking around for a buddy and you will not get one for less then €550, same for powacaddy and golf glider. These are by far the most popular 3 I see around the course.

One option he is considering is Go Kart. A few around and owners do like them. But still talking €500.
    https://www.gokart.co.uk/product/the-gokart/

Quick look at done deal and there are a few options (not many) including a Go Kart for €400. Your choice though,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

bamayang wrote: »
    https://golfglider.ie/product/golf-glider-classic-lite/
    €550 seems to be the cheapest (new) one available, slightly above the budget.

Do any exist around the €400 mark?

There's a few models online when you google, but I wonder would I be wasting time and money going with the chepaer option.
    https://www.irishsportswarehouse.ie/hillman-pro-kart-electric-golf-trolley?gclid=CjwKCAjwgdX4BRB_EiwAg8O8HSub3igfA4QO8ckaeLJkCn2c4uXIpdDyM5KBuYWIDrZcgZXrKciF4RoC8ZkQAvD_BwE

This one is €320, but hard to find reviews.

How often do you play? If it’s a decent amount I’d pay for the better one

maddness wrote: »
    How often do you play? If it’s a decent amount I’d pay for the better one

Father Probably plays 27-36 holes a week. I said to him they’re around €400 and he has that figure In his head now, and doesn’t want to go above it.

I think I’ll heed the advise here and steer clear of any of the lesser names. Will be a case of looking for a good 2nd hand or stumping up to €550.

higster wrote: »
    I’ve motocaddy for last 3 years and never an issue. Was looking around for a buddy and you will not get one for less then €550, same for powacaddy and golf glider. These are by far the most popular 3 I see around the course.

One option he is considering is Go Kart. A few around and owners do like them. But still talking €500.
    https://www.gokart.co.uk/product/the-gokart/

Quick look at done deal and there are a few options (not many) including a Go Kart for €400. Your choice though,

I had visions of a go cart racer there!! That looks ok, it’s coming in at 400 Sterling with a lithium battery. Do you know anyone with one a good while? Longevity would be my main requirement, that it won’t give up in a years time.

Have the Motocaddy S1 w lithium battery and its the best I ever had. No gimmicks, robust and stable. Goes and goes. 2 years of twice weekly and playing more like 4, 5 times a week lately. No sign of battery going weak.

I got it in a sale a couple of years back for around 450 but at the moment they're well above 500. It seems all things golf are quite expensive at the moment. I can only assume its got to do with demand. We for example have well over a 100 new members since the reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Does your pro sell ex rentals. Friend got one, like new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

bamayang wrote: »
    I had visions of a go cart racer there!! That looks ok, it’s coming in at 400 Sterling with a lithium battery. Do you know anyone with one a good while? Longevity would be my main requirement, that it won’t give up in a years time.

Afraid not, one guy has one but only a couple months.

Advertisement