Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ZV numbers to exceed 100000!

• 29-10-2016 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

I'm currently mulling over the idea of applying for a 'ZV' plate to replace a 'Year' plate. I was just looking at 'VRT 35' form and spotted that the 'Official Use' section has 'ZV' folllowed by 6 x blank spaces.

Just as I predicted, the powers-that-be view 'ZZ' (temporary) plates and 'ZV' plates in the same light - 'ZZ' plates exceeded 100000 some years ago.

Looks like 'ZV 100000'+ is coming our way in the forseeable future! :rolleyes:

Click on the first search result to view form -
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=google&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=ssl#q=VRT35+form

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Was there any movement on the IVVCC negotiations to re issue old numbers...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80608731

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Apply for county plate and if they change the zv codology then you can opt to change it
    If you take the bs zv number now you are married to it
    Besides if you ever sell it the buyer can have the option

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

Apply for county plate and if they change the zv codology then you can opt to change it
    If you take the bs zv number now you are married to it
    Besides if you ever sell it the buyer can have the option

Thats what I've also considered, i.e. stick with the 'Year' plate for now - in the hope that some better age-related system might unfold. Though I'm not holding my breath for such a scenario :rolleyes:

On the other hand, there are a few nice 'ZV' combinations (albeit 7-digit combinations) coming up in the near future which 'tickle my fancy'! :pac:

hi5 wrote: »
    Was there any movement on the IVVCC negotiations to re issue old numbers...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80608731

I contacted the gentleman, who posted the IVVCC survey in the above thread, a couple of times about the status of any 'negotiations', but received no reply:confused:

Btw, excellent work on that list of unissued registrations in the above thread hi5!! :)

The future of ZV plates? ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Wow....does that mean there are 100,000 vintage cars in Ireland - seems like an awful lot ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

A year plate might be better. I noticed an electric car of around 1899 at the Terenure show a few years ago. It had a '99 D plate or similar. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Theres various imported Mercedes around that are in hipster hands.
    I'd say a lot of the recent imports came from that sort of customer, who knows if they will keep them longterm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

kyote00 wrote: »
    Wow....does that mean there are 100,000 vintage cars in Ireland - seems like an awful lot ?

Plates between ZV 1 and ZV 99999 have (mostly) been broken down into ranges and assigned to the various counties around Ireland, but not all have been issued yet. Although many Irish classics are on YY-CC-NNN (year, county, serial number) plates, even the total of these and all the ZV's isn't near 100,000 yet, especially when you take into account the ZV's that have been scrapped/re-exported.

However, when a county reaches the end of its assigned 5-digit range, they will have to issue 6-digit ZV ranges, or do something else ("nnnn ZV" and "nnnnn ZV", for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Just buy a taxbook. It's all the fashion nowadays.

• Advertisement

Just buy a taxbook. It's all the fashion nowadays.

:D

...just in case anybody thinks you're being serious! :pac: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Low number ZV tax books will be valuable shortly! ;):D

mb1725 wrote: »
    Low number ZV tax books will be valuable shortly! ;):D

I made a point of finding and importing a classic in 2010 as I could see that the end of the "genuine" 4-digit ZV's was coming up - I got ZV 96nn.

Talking of things getting more valuable, when I brought back my daily driver from the UK in 1999 it got given 82-D-2nnn, which at the time I thought looked vile. These days it looks a lot better than 82-D-120nnn :pac:

Type 17 wrote: »
    I made a point of finding and importing a classic in 2010 as I could see that the end of the "genuine" 4-digit ZV's was coming up - I got ZV 96nn.

Talking of things getting more valuable, when I brought back my daily driver from the UK in 1999 it got given 82-D-2nnn, which at the time I thought looked vile. These days it looks a lot better than 82-D-120nnn :pac:

Dublin currently has the "best" 'ZV' plates (in the 10000 range) and the "worst" 'Year' plates (in the 120000 range)!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Dublin has now passed in the last few weeks into the ZV11000 range, nice and tight on a plate of you are trying to get sizes and spacing somewhat authentic looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

In the meantime I notice any older mercs not in the ZV range but old enough are all given a 120000 number i.e. 87D120021 etc.

duskyjoe wrote: »
    In the meantime I notice any older mercs not in the ZV range but old enough are all given a 120000 number i.e. 87D120021 etc.

Yes, all imports registered in any year before 2011 will get yy-D-120000+ (or yy-C-40000+, etc), unless they are 30 years old or more, and the owner chooses a ZV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Thanks for that, I genuinely thought it was mercs just getting a hard time with these reg plates.

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I genuinely thought it was mercs just getting a hard time with these reg plates.

No, those plates can wreck the look of any make of car :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 carcrazykieran

In the latter part of this year I got a zv reg for a UK import and an older 84WW import.

ZV 10924 and ZV 19055

I got them printed ZV1 0924 and ZV1 0955

They don't look as bad with the spacing. I would post a photo but I'm not up at 25 posts yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

In the latter part of this year I got a zv reg for a UK import and an older 84WW import.

ZV 10924 and ZV 19055

They don't look as bad with the spacing. I would post a photo but I'm not up at 25 posts yet.
    I had half- heartedly been following the progression of plates in the hope of getting 10924 for my, you guessed it, 924. (I still have the year plate). Kinda bummed now I was so busy this year I forgot about it!

What kind of car is wearing it?

1982 Lotus Esprit S3.

I don't think they are transferable but if they are I've no attachment to the number your welcome to it. As it will be a few years before she gets on the road. There is a Mini a head of her for restoration.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Cheers, carcrazykieran!

You're right I don't think they are transferable (if it was I'd be tempted!).

Good luck with the Esprit. One of the coolest cars from my youth would love one someday. Serious wow factor when you see one in modern traffic. :)

Yes even in its current state it has the wow factor. 4 years to get the paperwork a lot of hassle but it was worth it.

Yes even in its current state it has the wow factor. 4 years to get the paperwork a lot of hassle but it was worth it.

As a matter of interest, was the 4-year wait in order to get an export cert from the DVLA in Swansea?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

utterly stupid system, the old county reg's could easily be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Thankfully I've four digits, but then I got my 16/60 ten year ago.

Yes DVLA refused 1st car was not on there system. No registration or paper work with car when I bought it. Got the old registration via Lotus build sheets. Transpires the car had been stolen 20 plus years ago. Strangely motorcheck had it listed with original registration under the new colour not factory colour. After and inspection of behalf of the DVLA via the PSNI and Garda the car was verified. The insurance company was notified but deemed it unworthy to re-export the DVLA reinstated the lost car on their data Base and the export document was released. It was actually 3 years not 4. On the 8th July 3 years to the day I bought her I brought her to the nct center on a trailer and a week later received my zv registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

ZV 10924 and ZV 19055

Just curious about this as i got number 55xxx as i not know off-hand.
    I cannot understand how you got two numbers 10xxx.
    Also people are saying the numbers nearly up to 100000.
    Is there an option where we can choose a number?

thanks

• Advertisement

It was two registerations for two cars.

Advertisement