Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Single Player Games

• 03-11-2016 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hey all,

I used to be more into gaming, but life got in the way (Damn you life). I have never really been a fan of online mulitplayers (bar command and conquer back in the day).

I am much more a fan of decent single player games (FPS) that take time, so for that reason I am a fan of Far cry, GTA, Assassins Creed, RDR (really looking forward to the new one). I used to really like Call of Duty etc, but when you can finish a campaign in a day or two it just doesnt feel like value for money.

I have an xbox one, just wondering if there are any obvious titles I have missed.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

The New Tomb Raider games
    Shadow of Mordor
    The recent Batman trilogy/rerelease
    Doom 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

Cormac... wrote: »
    The New Tomb Raider games
    Shadow of Mordor
    The recent Batman trilogy/rerelease
    Doom 2016

Perfect, I hadnt heard of the shadow of Mordor, and hadnt heard much of the new Doom, will give em a looksee. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Wolfenstein: The New Order is well worth playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

budhabob wrote: »
    Hey all,

I used to be more into gaming, but life got in the way (Damn you life). I have never really been a fan of online mulitplayers (bar command and conquer back in the day).

I am much more a fan of decent single player games (FPS) that take time, so for that reason I am a fan of Far cry, GTA, Assassins Creed, RDR (really looking forward to the new one). I used to really like Call of Duty etc, but when you can finish a campaign in a day or two it just doesnt feel like value for money.

I have an xbox one, just wondering if there are any obvious titles I have missed.

Thanks in advance.

The Witcher 3 (One of the Best games ever made,very like Red dead Redemption but in a Fantasy setting)
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    Bioshock Collection

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Seconding the DOOM nomination

Enjoying Titanfall 2 campaign so far (haven't played a lot, but it's getting plenty of praise...though I don't know if it's all that long)

Far Cry: Blood Dragon is free this month with Xbox Live Gold membership if you haven't played it

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Far Cry: Blood Dragon is going to be free from Ubisoft this month even if you don't have a gold account on PC anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

This Year?

Doom
    Titanfall 2

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

If you're into FPS then the Borderlands Series is a great shout. I've sunk hundreds of hours into 1 & 2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

State of decay may be too your liking , also:

Witcher 3
    Rise of the tombraider
    Just cause 3
    Quantum break

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Wolfenstein: The New Order is well worth playing.

Best Single player shooter I've played in years.
    Definitely prefer it over the new Doom...which is a decent game in it's own right.

2nd I'd say Deus Ex (try get Human Revolution first, then do Mankind Divided)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This Year?

Titanfall 2

This game has a super short singleplayer. It's great but only a handful of hours. It's first and foremost online shooter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭ Mira Important Servant

A little older but Sunset Overdrive is brilliant I think.

I would describe it as a cross between Crackdown and Saints Row.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Borderlands 2
    Wolfeinstein New Order (Old Blood not so much but still good)
    DOOM

Dead Space series (if you can play these on the One? - they're last gen)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Is Vanquish backwards compat?

Cheers folks, serious shopping list here.

Just gonna try and keep this listing live (for my own benefit if not others):

Rage 1 & 2 - open world type game, good fun.
    Metro series - good gameplay, some heavy dialogue but enjoyable nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 GeetarPick

Playing the first shadow of mordor at the moment as it's on gamepass. I didn't think I would have any interest but it's super fun albeit the controls can be a bit iffy at times. Going to finish this then go straight to the sequel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Fallout NV, 3 and 4.

Too bad you don't have a ps4 , you could play the Yakuza games then .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

They are on PC too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Definitely recommend Doom 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭xtal191

Yakuza 0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2 will be on Game Pass next year

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Mad Max was strangely addictive to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Fallout NV, 3 and 4.
    The Outer Worlds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 GeetarPick

ArrBee wrote: »
    Mad Max was strangely addictive to me.

Worth a punt? Always seem to get put off by movie games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GeetarPick wrote: »

It's standard open world guff with Arkham city combat. Found it dull and samey but others like it.

• In Mad Max you will have seen everything you are going to see in about 3-4 hours then the repetition kicks in, so yeah a standard Avalanche Studios game.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

GeetarPick wrote: »

I was surprised that I liked it so much. Perhaps it's was the driving and environment that drew me in.
    I'm awful for starting a game and not finishing but this had me coming back after finishing the story.

As others say it's a bit repetitive. So maybe after all the other good stuff you can give it a go.

Advertisement