Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Adverts 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

2012: The Journey is my favourite as it fit in with a change in my life. The penguin one is a tear jerker. Didn't like last years one.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

last years john lewis add..

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Spent all last year looking for this one. Couldn't remember what it was for but anytime I heard the song on the radio it reminded me of the ad!!!

That laugh 😂

http://www.speers.ie/directors/lennyabrahamson/christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

big syke wrote: »
    Spent all last year looking for this one. Couldn't remember what it was for but anytime I heard the song on the radio it reminded me of the ad!!!

That laugh 😂

http://www.speers.ie/directors/lennyabrahamson/christmas

Okay, Im calling it and its your fault syke (with a special mention for TOTO on the other thread with the M&S food), goose pimples and home sick and dying for Santy

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jude13 wrote: »
    Okay, Im calling it and its your fault syke (with a special mention for TOTO on the other thread with the M&S food), goose pimples and home sick and dying for Santy

You have to hand it to the advertisers they certainly know how to evoke those sentimental emotions.

The countdown is on and it won't be long Jude until you're boarding the plane for the flight home. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

kitten_k wrote:
    Rumours are that the John Lewis ad is out on Friday

I'm excited for this!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kitten_k wrote: »

Should be noted it's premiering next Friday and not tomorrow.

Can't wait tho!! Great find with the article kitten_k.

I'm living the idea of a David Bowie song. Fitting giving the year it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Strangely YouTube suggested the Barry's Tea radio advert last night, so obviously I watched it, I then searched for the John Lewis Penguin one, that's a beauty. No more YT vids for me though, waiting for the excitement of seeing the Coca Cola ad on tv for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

Just had a look at a Lidl Christmas advert while partaking in a survey.
    Assuming it's this year's one. Personally I wouldn't be a fan - very modernised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hufflepuff

Littlewoods christmas ad was just on tv 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Hufflepuff wrote: »
    Littlewoods christmas ad was just on tv 😀

Wow, they're quick off the mark after Halloween! Can't wait to see it.

Well, according to Campaign, this year's John Lewis advert is expected to launch on Thursday, November 10 - a bit of a break from recent tradition, where it has debuted on the first Friday of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

Maybe it's to give Aldi in the U.K. less of a chance of copying their ad like they usually do! :D I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Just saw my first Christmas advert, it was for Tesco and it was lovely! Feeling all warm and fuzzy!!

Shadow1983 wrote: »
    Just saw my first Christmas advert, it was for Tesco and it was lovely! Feeling all warm and fuzzy!!

If anyone can find a YouTube link for it that would be great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Loughc wrote:
    If anyone can find a YouTube link for it that would be great!!

Can't link but search Tesco "Here's to the hosts" and it should come up for you.

Thank you shadow1983 (great year by the way ;) )

It's cute but it certainly is missing more festivities, music and more decorations would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Such a lovely sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

Harrods Christmas advert 2016

(who knew Harrods even had ad's, still its Christmas :D )

• Advertisement

Burberrys (supposedly) Christmas advert 2016. Beautifully shot cinematic ad, but Christmas? Sorry no it’s just not saying Christmas to me.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/burberry-christmas-advert-sienna-miller-domhnall-gleeson-dominic-west-a7391646.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Tescos add is not christmassy at all......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭donegal_man

A_smurf wrote: »
    Maybe it's to give Aldi in the U.K. less of a chance of copying their ad like they usually do! :D I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!

Hated John Lewis ad last year, loved the Aldi version of it

Just watched Tesco's ad for the first time.

It could definitely be more Christmassy. I almost feel like this is just some kind of a pre-ad that is all about the hosting only and there is more to come?

Hmmm, definitely looking forward to John Lewis Christmas ad now...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Normally it takes seeing this one for me to get into the christmas build up vibe, but have been told its to be replaced this year with a new one... such a shame as i've loved it since first seeing it in 2005. Still, there'll always be youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7uehHRr7hU
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote:
    Normally it takes seeing this one for me to get into the christmas build up vibe, but have been told its to be replaced this year with a new one... such a shame as i've loved it since first seeing it in 2005. Still, there'll always be youtube...

That made me cry!

Oh God, am sitting here getting all emotional.
    Christmas is in the air!

Toys R Us 2016

screamer wrote: »
    Tescos add is not christmassy at all......

I thought the same not Christmassy enough at all. I agree with French_Girl it definitively feels like a pre-ad, with a more festive offering to come hopefully. It doesnt have a patch on this one....

This one is spot on and screams Christmas for me :)

The hype that surrounds the John Lewis Christmas ad really has taken on a life of its own, marketing at its most effective . :D

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/advertising/news/a812208/john-lewis-christmas-advert-2016-song-release-date-and-everything-you-need-to-know/

• Advertisement

I thought the same not Christmassy enough at all. I agree with French_Girl it definitively feels like a pre-ad, with a more festive offering to come hopefully

If there were any footage of them celebrating Christmas together while the person was reading their letters it would be more magical. It's too sterile otherwise. Almost like a documentary.

This ad was Tesco perfection.

Advertisement