Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know your Elves 2016 - #2 Miamee

Options
  • 31-10-2016 12:38pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Happy Halloween!!! halloween_pumpkin.png
    It's week two already, and since it's a bank holiday Loughc is probably still in bed so I'll start! :pac:

-Do you carve a pumpkin? (for the day that's in it!)
    -Do do any baking at Christmas?
    -Tinsel: everywhere or nowhere?
    -Do you prefer real trees or artificial?
    -Do you use clear lights or coloured?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Favourite day: Christmas Eve, Christmas Day or St Stephen's Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hufflepuff

Do you prefer christmas in your own home or going to someone else's ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

What Christmas film was your favourite as a child? What Christmas film is your favourite now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Most memorable Christmas?

What's your Christmas Eve routine?

Favourite decoration that you have, or once had?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I was actually in the gym we booked our honeymoon this weekend so it's crisis mode now
    :P

But thank you Posy for setting it up! :)

Now for the question, Roses or Quality Street?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

What is your earliest Christmas memory?

Does the thought of a white Christmas fill you with joy or with dread?

Have you ever spent Christmas abroad, and if not would you consider it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

What's your favourite book that's set at Christmas?

Ham hot or cold at Christmas dinner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

What was your favourite present that you got from Santa?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Is there a particular drink you have Christmas Day?
    What's your favourite snack/nibbles?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

OH MY GOD I nearly forgot about this!! :eek: Will begin answering questions now! Sorry guys...!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Posy wrote: »
    Happy Halloween!!! halloween_pumpkin.png
    It's week two already, and since it's a bank holiday Loughc is probably still in bed so I'll start! :pac:

-Do you carve a pumpkin? (for the day that's in it!)
    -Do do any baking at Christmas?
    -Tinsel: everywhere or nowhere?
    -Do you prefer real trees or artificial?
    -Do you use clear lights or coloured?

- pumpkin - no, I have never, ever carved a pumpkin! (Yet!)
    - I don't bake but I do always take on the tough job of making trifle for Christmas Day. I should really try to up my game but everyone always wants a trifle. Any suggestions for a replacement?
    - No tinsel. We used to have the really spindly cheap stuff at home years ago and it put me off though my parents usually have tinsel on theri tree and it looks bright and cheery
    - I adore the smell of a real tree, I could sit there and smell it for the day. However, I usually have an artificial one. It's quite realistic looking so I like it.
    - clear or coloured lights...I used to have the little white ones for years but last year I was in a different house with a real tree and I bought some lovely coloured LED lights in Homestore & More so I think I may have been converted to coloured :)

Favourite day: Christmas Eve, Christmas Day or St Stephen's Day?

Definitely Christmas Eve. I love the feeling of everything being done or almost done and the anticipation. Usually I might be in town early in the morning to meet a friend and take in the atmosphere, then go to visit two of my friends and their children before Santa comes, then later in the evening Mass with my mam and sister and home to finish the last few bits of wrapping or prepping and a drink or two by the tree. Last year myself and my sister made some mulled wine and polished off the bottle before bedtime :pac:

Hufflepuff wrote: »
    Do you prefer christmas in your own home or going to someone else's ?

I always go to my parents hosue for Christmas...it's usually like Groundhog Day - same visitors, same goodies and treats, same Irish coffees made by Dad! Things may be a bit different this year but that's no harm either, will be nice to have some changes.

A_smurf wrote: »
    What Christmas film was your favourite as a child? What Christmas film is your favourite now?

I think Mary Poppins was always my favourite to watch on Christmas Day but an actual Christmas-themed movie...Santa Clause: The Movie. (God the effects look so bad now :D)

Nowadays, I love Love Actually or The Holidays (cos I'm a romantic sap)

Alicat wrote: »
    Most memorable Christmas?

What's your Christmas Eve routine?

Favourite decoration that you have, or once had?

Most memorable Christmas...well they are mostly all the same, lol, but I do remember one Christmas we came down to see if Santa had been. All of our toys and things were under the tree. Then I spotted a book across on the fire grate. I was convinced that it had fallen out of Sntas sack and that some other child would be looking for it. My mother had to convince me that it was ok to keep it and that Santa would probably have found another one for the other child. I always felt that it was a bit magical that I'd got an "extra" present cos poor Santa was so tired that he dropped that book.

Christmas Eve - answered that one above :)

Favourite decoration - hmmm. I have lots of decorations that I have not seen for 3 Christmases. I moved and had to leave them behind but I've just moved back...decorating my tree is going to be like unwrapping a load of presents cos I'll have forgotten half of them :pac: I do love a Christmas Harrods teddy bear I have that I bought on a trip to London though.

Loughc wrote: »
    I was actually in the gym we booked our honeymoon this weekend so it's crisis mode now
    :P

But thank you Posy for setting it up! :)

Now for the question, Roses or Quality Street?

Ooh a honeymoon - congratulations LoughC! Are you going to Lapland to see Santa? :pac::pac:

Roses or Quality Street? Definitely Roses! We got a box of them last week though and they have made the wrappers much bigger so that the box looks more full than it really is...chancers :mad:

Scarinae wrote: »
    What is your earliest Christmas memory?

Does the thought of a white Christmas fill you with joy or with dread?

Have you ever spent Christmas abroad, and if not would you consider it?

My earliest Christmas memory is probably one year when I was still a small enough child. Our grandad used to visit every Christmas Eve and we'd always have the pjs on or be getting baths and Santa Clause The Movie on tv. The tree was in the middle of the window of the front room so the curtains were never closed properly. I was watching tv and a bright light shone in the window very briefly. Santa! Mam Santa is across the field!!! Well I never rushed to bed so fast in my life, terrified that I'd still be awake by the time he reached my house. So much excitement though, it's very funny looking back.

I'd love a white Christmas! The one in 2011 was amazing! I still love looking at the photos of myself and my two sisters going out for a walk in it after our Christmas dinner :D

I've never even spent Christmas out of my parents house, lol. I'm sure I would consider it if a loved one(s) were coming along too.

What's your favourite book that's set at Christmas?

Ham hot or cold at Christmas dinner?

Hmmm, I don't think I have a favourite book that is set at Christmas :eek: and I do love to read...I might have to come back to that. Although the Christmas dinners in Hogwarts sound pretty amazing every year! Nom.

Ham - not a big fan of ham at all, I have one hot slice with my Christmas dinner and that's it.

BDJW wrote: »
    What was your favourite present that you got from Santa?

I remember asking for a cooker and pots one year, I loved those. I got a little red cooker and oven with a little set of yellow pots. Dinner for everyone! :cool:

fussyonion wrote: »
    Is there a particular drink you have Christmas Day?
    What's your favourite snack/nibbles?

Dad makes a lot of Irish Coffees on Christmas day so I'd usually have a few of those throughout the day (season). Favourite nibbles are usually Doritos...I think I'm addicted to them, I cannot stop eating until the bowl/packet is empty. I think they might be laced with something very addictive :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What's your favourite Christmas tradition?

Loughc wrote: »
    What's your favourite Christmas tradition?

I think exchanging gifts when all of us are together. not becasue of the gifts element but because it's nice to sit down with the family (parents & siblings) for a while and just be nice to each other*, lots of hugs and happy faces :)

*not that we aren't always nice to each other but Christmas morning feels extra special.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

What's your favourite John Lewis advert?

Sprouts: Hate them/tolerate them/LOVE them?

Do you veg in front of the telly on Christmas day or steer clear of the TV?

What's your favourite dessert at Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

Wrapping style: precision and accuracy or 50% selotape?

Posy wrote: »
    What's your favourite John Lewis advert?

Sprouts: Hate them/tolerate them/LOVE them?

Do you veg in front of the telly on Christmas day or steer clear of the TV?

What's your favourite dessert at Christmas?

Hrrrm, I'm not sure I have a favourite John Lewis ad :eek: I'll have to watch the last few years and see! Not last year's anyway, I thought it was quite sad.

Yes to brussel sprouts, yum yum (I had some for my dinner yesterday)

I usually end up vegged in front of th tv late in the evening on Christmas Day but not before that. Maybe an hour earlier in the day when visitors have gone home and the dinner is not yet ready.

Favourite dessert is usually trifle (cos I make it :D) or a nice, warmed, puff pastry mince pie with whipped cream. Nom!
    Jude13 wrote: »
    Wrapping style: precision and accuracy or 50% selotape?
    I try to be precise and am good with the regular shaped items...as for the more unusual shapes, then it becomes 50% sellotape, lol.

Advertisement