Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any craic?

• 19-07-2016 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,
    Wondering what the craic is and if we could do anything to revitalize this forum a bit. We get the odd question from potential immigrants, but not much discussion between those of us that have made NZ our home. How could we spruce up the place? :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

shouldn't be too hard, eh?

Here's a picture of some cute NZ puppies to start it off, one from Westport, one from Dunedin, both now in New Plymouth :)
    20160711_205014_zpsbkeaewvm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hows the winter going folks? Was only ever out there in summer

hit 2c the other day, coldest it's been in my 5 years here.

weather has been pretty crappy this winter, very wet and windy. A truck went off one of the ferries in high seas yesterday it's that wild out

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

First winter here in Auckland for me, not as cold as home but plenty wet! Am discovering the joys of NZ housing with their zero insulation and no double glazing. It's a bit crazy, are Kiwis just in denial that it actually gets cold, especially further south?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

Moving to Auckland at the end of August, have an AirBnb in Ponsonby set up for a few weeks while looking. Where would people suggest taking a look for accommodation? We were thinking Mount Eden, Ponsonby and Takapuna

• Advertisement

brady23 wrote: »
    Moving to Auckland at the end of August, have an AirBnb in Ponsonby set up for a few weeks while looking. Where would people suggest taking a look for accommodation? We were thinking Mount Eden, Ponsonby and Takapuna

prepare to pay through the roof for those areas, Takapuna maybe less so. Auckland is incredibly expensive, though if coming from Dublin who knows at the this point in comparison. Make sure you visit the houses as much of NZ housing is terrible, little insulation and can be very dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

Yep Auckland is just as bad as Dublin for affordable places to rent at the moment. Was living in a flat share in Ponsonby for a few months but now have our own place over in Devonport which is a nice little town. Ponsonby is great though, lots of awesome cafes and restaurants but very expensive to rent in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I have never understood why they build "summer houses" here.

Going to be looking to buy soon in Wellington and its filling me with dread. I havent seen a single house in 8 years of being here that I would like to own in our price range. We're going to have to move way up the coast, or settle for something old and cold :(

But the lifestyle makes up for the mank housing :)

pclancy wrote: »
    I have never understood why they build "summer houses" here.

Going to be looking to buy soon in Wellington and its filling me with dread. I havent seen a single house in 8 years of being here that I would like to own in our price range. We're going to have to move way up the coast, or settle for something old and cold :(

But the lifestyle makes up for the mank housing :)

Spend 100k less and build a 200% better house! We just couldnt face spending so much on aheap so took the plunge and built basically an Irish spec house here. Insulation is 1.7 times standard and tbh is still not as an good as I would have liked in hindsight

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

smackyB wrote: »
    First winter here in Auckland for me, not as cold as home but plenty wet! Am discovering the joys of NZ housing with their zero insulation and no double glazing. It's a bit crazy, are Kiwis just in denial that it actually gets cold, especially further south?

Ahh, just but a jumper on and you'll be fine. :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help. We're looking at something like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/1122816013

Any other areas you'd suggest, we're planning on getting a car too. We're thinking somewhere in the 500-550$ a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

Hiya,

We're also moving to Auckland this August after being in London for the past 6 years! Flying over on the 14th August and staying with friends for the first 2-3 weeks and then getting an air bnb until jobs are sorted and we know roughly where we would like to live!

I've been hearing the weather is pretty miserable at the moment so shouldn't be too much of a culture shock coming from the UK!:p

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Well I'm on ACC for the past 3 weeks with a broken finger. Going off my nut with boredom. I did walk 15km around Christchurch the other day..

Of all the things I miss, ACC is the one I miss the most!

Make the best of your 80%, it's a great thing to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

HI

Dunno if this is the right place.... is there any limit to length you can stay in a job on a whv??

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/about-visa/ireland-working-holiday-visa

Visa for 12 months but you can only work / study for 6 of those. The number of jobs doesn't matter
    Click the link for more specifics

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/about-visa/ireland-working-holiday-visa

Visa for 12 months but you can only work / study for 6 of those. The number of jobs doesn't matter
    Click the link for more specifics

Cheers...that's perfect for me at the min!

Hopefully they'll be OK with just giving me a 6month contract...

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

Alright lads, just landed in Christchurch 2 weeks ago, after 7 years in London. Moved with the wife (kiwi, hence the move!) and our 3 month old, her family are here and are first time grandparents so that's why we've come. Have got until the young fella starts making proper friends to decide if we're gonna stay, so probably 4/5 years. Staying with the in laws in a decent sized place so happy out, bar the single glazing - wtf! Hoping to buy next year. They kept their old car for us so that's sweet, the approach to car insurance over here is mad. Great for us tho!

Love my golf so been out for a few rounds, some nice courses around which is great, nice to have something familiar! Got offered a job the other day so all good there too (work in IT). Have been here a few times so the building site that is the CBD wasn't much of a surprise, but nice to see some new buildings nearing completion. My days of boozing into the early hours are more or less gone bar the odd blow out(!), so not too bothered about the lack of nightlife.

Many other lads here in Chch?

Moved to Auckland 2 months ago. Play loads of golf member in Pakuranga if you're up this way give me a shout. No plans for christchurch as of yet. GL

• Advertisement

Doubs wrote: »
    .... the approach to car insurance over here is mad. Great for us tho!

Arguably it's the Irish approach that's mad: if for some reason you're incapacitated in New Zealand and cannot drive, then a trusted family member or friend can take your car home for you. Doesn't work in Ireland at all ....

Enjoy Christchurch. Make sure you get out into the countryside / parks etc, and make use of the beaches.

Focus on meeting locals and emigrants who are planning to stay, not people out for a year or two who are going go home again soon enough.

Arguably it's the Irish approach that's mad: if for some reason you're incapacitated in New Zealand and cannot drive, then a trusted family member or friend can take your car home for you. Doesn't work in Ireland at all ....

Enjoy Christchurch. Make sure you get out into the countryside / parks etc, and make use of the beaches.

Focus on meeting locals and emigrants who are planning to stay, not people out for a year or two who are going go home again soon enough.

Might I ask what is the approach the approach to insurance here

And what has to be done to convert a irish to nz licence
    Google gives somewhat confusing info

You don't need anything unless you stay longer than a year. Insurance for 2 people 27 yo 200$ for the year on a 1.6 Golf.
    Also insurance isn't compulsory. Drivers are far more erratic than Ireland though

Owners insure their cars, no matter who is driving. Owners can choose to limit it to over 25s.

Regards the license, if you're planning to stay for more than 12 months, you can do a trade in of your Irish license. No need otherwise.

get the right person and you don't even have to hand your Irish licence in ;-)

Owners insure their cars, no matter who is driving. Owners can choose to limit it to over 25s.

Regards the license, if you're planning to stay for more than 12 months, you can do a trade in of your Irish license. No need otherwise.

Cheers this is very helpful

Hoping to get a car in next month or so :)

The other great thing about cars in NZ is you can get a proper size petrol engine and not be raped on tax and insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

Moved to Auckland 2 months ago. Play loads of golf member in Pakuranga if you're up this way give me a shout. No plans for christchurch as of yet. GL

Will do, sound! Likewise if you're ever down this way, have joined Christchurch GC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Pippi Longstocking

Hope you're all ok out there. It's a frightening experience.

Advertisement