Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

St Margarets Golf Club 2017

• 25-10-2016 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

My name is Adam and i moved over from England about 3 years ago now i used to play a bit when i was in England but havnt properly played in over 5 years now. Looking at possibly joining St Margarets as i had a look at a few courses and quite liked this one and seems a reasonable price. Only problem i have is i dont have anyone to play with and this is a big reason why i have not played since moving over.

Any one no any one who is looking to join a golf club? or open to playing a round or to every Saturday morning?

Let me know
    Thanks
    Adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

quinney123 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

My name is Adam and i moved over from England about 3 years ago now i used to play a bit when i was in England but havnt properly played in over 5 years now. Looking at possibly joining St Margarets as i had a look at a few courses and quite liked this one and seems a reasonable price. Only problem i have is i dont have anyone to play with and this is a big reason why i have not played since moving over.

Any one no any one who is looking to join a golf club? or open to playing a round or to every Saturday morning?

Let me know
    Thanks
    Adam

There are a few St Margarets members on the site. I'm sure they will drop in here soon and give you a heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Hi Adam.

I'm a member of St Margarets. I joined at the start of the year. It would be like most courses in that there's an online timesheet and you put your name down at a timeslot that suits you. Most times I play there'll be at least one playing partner that I'll meet for the first time on the first tee. It's a nice course. I feel it's friendly. The lads running the place are professional and friendly. The deal is value for money. Good atmosphere around the place for me.

Give me a shout sometime if you are looking for someone to play a round with, (however I have a new baby at home now, so hit or miss if I'll be able to take you up on it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭quinney123

Where are you based?
    Hi finglashoop
    I live in Donaghmede
    Thanks
    Adam

Where are you based?
    Hi finglashoop
    I live in Donaghmede
    Thanks
    Adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

quinney123 wrote: »
    Hi finglashoop
    I live in Donaghmede
    Thanks
    Adam

Is margarets the only club u considered. There would be a few close to you

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

I'll second everything roadrunner said. I'm new to golf and joined St Margaret's this year and can't recommend it highly enough. Alot of new members there so you won't be alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Just throw your name down on the timesheet each week and you'll get a game no problem. Give me a shout if you want a card marked for your handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I'll third everything roadrunner and Swededmonkey said. I've been playing for a few years. I joined St Margaret's this year too without knowing anyone well there. I put my name down wherever there's a suitable slot, mostly on Sunday morning. I've never had any issue with playing partners and have got to know a few well enough at this stage. It's a quality course with great practice facilities and is well managed these days.
    Very happy with my decision to join.
    You'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I'm considering joining too. Taking lessons there and have played it a few times - it's a lovely course. Only problem is I'm in the process of buying a house so I won't have a pot to pee in...

• Advertisement

I'm considering joining too. Taking lessons there and have played it a few times - it's a lovely course. Only problem is I'm in the process of buying a house so I won't have a pot to pee in...

There are toilets in the clubhouse and lots of bushes around the course :)
    You'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

No issue paying monthly by DD

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Hi Adam.

I'm a member of St Margarets. I joined at the start of the year. It would be like most courses in that there's an online timesheet and you put your name down at a timeslot that suits you. Most times I play there'll be at least one playing partner that I'll meet for the first time on the first tee. It's a nice course. I feel it's friendly. The lads running the place are professional and friendly. The deal is value for money. Good atmosphere around the place for me.

Give me a shout sometime if you are looking for someone to play a round with, (however I have a new baby at home now, so hit or miss if I'll be able to take you up on it!)

Hi Roadrunner

Thanks for the reply I was wondering do you know how much it is to join in 2017, I am really looking for a group of lads that play every week that I can get to know as would prefer this as i loved the social aspect of golf when I played in England.

Thanks
    Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Saw it advertised yesterday for 1000 thru to the end of 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cheltenham

Hi guys
    What's it like to get on the time sheet , pref early morn ?
    Excellent track and super valu !
    Tsk
    Mike

Hi Guys

I was just wondering if any members could advise a couple of things on SMGC.

Just wondering how often they had competitions? I see on the website there are opens on Wednesday but wondering if they have medals or stablefords on Saturday or Sunday?

Also they are offering EUR 1000 for 2017 but wondered what the fee for standard members is so I know what I will be paying in 2018

Let me know
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

quinney123 wrote:
    I was just wondering if any members could advise a couple of things on SMGC.

Why not just pick up the phone and call them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

First Up wrote: »
    Why not just pick up the phone and call them?

Wondering why you bothered taking the time to post that.......

Competitions both sat and sun - this year the renewal options were €1150 or €1380 - the more expensive included bar credit and some greenfee vouchers. No guarantee they will stay the same for next year. Around 500 members now which is 300 up from when Synergy took over

Wondering why you bothered taking the time to post that.......

Competitions both sat and sun - this year the renewal options were €1150 or €1380 - the more expensive included bar credit and some greenfee vouchers. No guarantee they will stay the same for next year. Around 500 members now which is 300 up from when Synergy took over

I'm going to see them on Monday and had spoken on the phone a few times.just thought would be easier to ask before I went down

quinney123 wrote:
    I'm going to see them on Monday and had spoken on the phone a few times.just thought would be easier to ask before I went down

Yeah, the information you get from anonymous bloggers on the internet is so much more reliable than what the club will tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Yeah, the information you get from anonymous bloggers on the internet is so much more reliable than what the club will tell you.

I don't see a problem with asking here and in the club, what harm is he doing?

So much negativity and passive aggressive posts on boards lately for no reason at all.

Glad you got your answer OP

dan_ep82 wrote:
    I don't see a problem with asking here and in the club, what harm is he doing?

Because one source is reliable and the other isn't.

"Because one source is reliable and the other isn't."

Hmmm - which one?

I know BigChap79 and will second his post.I also know the guys in the office and vouch for them too.

This is a discussion forum and the OP is entitled to ask questions. His interpretation of the answers and trust of the posters is entirely his choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Because one source is reliable and the other isn't.

I guess we have to take your "anonymous bloggers" opinion as a reliable source over actual members :pac:

dan_ep82 wrote:
    I guess we have to take your "anonymous bloggers" opinion as a reliable source over actual members

Assuming they are "actual members".

If I want opinions, I might come here. If I want factual information, I'd call the people who have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

"Because one source is reliable and the other isn't."

Hmmm - which one?

I know BigChap79 and will second his post.I also know the guys in the office and vouch for them too.

This is a discussion forum and the OP is entitled to ask questions. His interpretation of the answers and trust of the posters is entirely his choice.

Which makes me wonder why my Island golf club thread was shut cause I asked a simple question designed for discussion. Mods policing maybe sets the tone for others to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Assuming they are "actual members".

If I want opinions, I might come here. If I want factual information, I'd call the people who have it.

except the club are trying to sell memberships so may gloss over certain facts, no?

Nothing wrong with going in prepared and maybe someone will post up something misleading but at least it'll prompt a question when the meeting takes place with the club.

Jawgap wrote:
    except the club are trying to sell memberships so may gloss over certain facts, no?

The OP asked how often they have competitions and about the price of membership.

Which facts might the club "gloss over"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The OP asked how often they have competitions and about the price of membership.

Which facts might the club "gloss over"?

Well it seems to me the club has different packages on offer - which are they more likely to sell you the one that's best for them or best for you?

They may also be open to offering discounts and incentives to get people to join but won't advertise the fact (why give money away) but will, if pushed, sweeten any offer - maybe someone would have experience of where they were offered a bit more than the brochure suggests is available?

Unless you ask someone who has been through the joining process how would you know?

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    Well it seems to me the club has different packages on offer - which are they more likely to sell you the one that's best for them or best for you?

They may also be open to offering discounts and incentives to get people to join but won't advertise the fact (why give money away) but will, if pushed, sweeten any offer - maybe someone would have experience of where they were offered a bit more than the brochure suggests is available?

Unless you ask someone who has been through the joining process how would you know?

All good reasons to pick up the phone and talk to them. Who knows, they might even let slip when they hold Medals.

Advertisement