Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Events

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Does anyone know when the lights are getting switched on in Dublin this year?

I feel like we should have heard something by now. I'm guessing they're not doing IBelieve festival or the Christmas Market this year as they were advertising them last year since the summer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I was having a look online and I couldn't find any dates for the big switch on! Only info I could find was from last year! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loughc wrote: »
    I feel like we should have heard something by now. I'm guessing they're not doing IBelieve festival or the Christmas Market this year as they were advertising them last year since the summer.

I Believe tweeted in August but nothing since. I hope there will be some sort of market this year. Even a crap one would be better than nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

The Gloria Christmas Concert is on 16th December- it's a ritual at this stage, really kicks off the proper "season" for me!

The Dublin Alternative Christmas Market on 11th December might be cool!

Christmas Family Market in Newmarket Co-Op sound great- any time I go to the Saturday market they have there I always end up picking up something! Plus it's on 20th November! EARLY!

The Guinness Choir (led by my old school orchestra conductor!) has a Christmas Concert on 4th December.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The Nutcracker is on in the Gaiety 16-19 November

Christmas with André (Reu) in IMC Savoy and in Cineworld on 19 November. I saw that on Dublintown.ie so he may be showing in other cinemas outside Dublin too, just not listed there.

Family Christmas Market in Newmarket 20 November

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

They must have been reading this and got their skates on :pac:

In case you cannot see the image, lights are being switched on:
    • Grafton Street - Sunday 13 November
    • Henry Street - Thursday 17 November
    • Smithfield - Thursday 24 November
    • O'Connell Street - Sunday 27 November
    400000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Hah, I came here to post the exact same thing!!! It just came up on my Facebook feed.

http://dublinatchristmas.ie/christmas/dublintown-begin-preparations-to-light-up-dublin-city-centre-at-christmas

Me too :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

At least we now know someone in Dublin Council is an avid Christmas forum member :D :P

Hah, I came here to post the exact same thing!!! It just came up on my Facebook feed.

http://dublinatchristmas.ie/christmas/dublintown-begin-preparations-to-light-up-dublin-city-centre-at-christmas
    The full programme for #DublinatChristmas will be announced in early November including upcoming events, special offers, family fun and much more (so stay tuned!)

Excited!!

• Advertisement

Great idea for a thread.

As an avid film fan, could we add listings of Christmas films being screened?

Brooks Hotel (Dublin city centre) has a small cinema which is screening (for over 18s only):

1st Dec - Elf
    8th Dec - It's A Wonderful Life
    15th Dec - Elf
    22nd Dec - Miracle On 34th Street

The Helix (DCU) are screening "Meet Me In St Louis" and "It's A Wonderful Life" from 7th to 14th December.

"Christmas with Andre Rieu" is on in The Light House as well, must be one of those broadcast screenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm looking for events for my toddler (just under 2). Anyone got any ideas?

Don't know whether to bring him to Santa or Santa experience? Or are there Christmas kids movies showing anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Seen this on FB

KEY DATES FOR DUBLIN AT CHRISTMAS 2016

Sunday 13 November, 6pm – Grafton Street Lighting Ceremony with performances from headline acts Hermitage Green and Glenn & Ronan (who performed live with Adele & appeared on The Ellen Show)

Thursday 17 November, 5pm– Henry Street Lighting Ceremony with performances from headline acts The Riptide Movement and Glenn & Ronan (who performed live with Adele & appeared on The Ellen Show)

Thursday 24 November, 4pm – Smithfield Lighting Ceremony with performances from headline acts Jerry Fish & Sinead White

Sunday 27 November, 4pm– Switching on of O’Connell Street Christmas Tree Lights by the Lord Mayor of Dublin Brendan Carr and your chance to take part in the world record breaking ‘Geansaí Nollag’ challenge. Hosted by Al Porter & Dustin the Turkey with a performance by headline act The Academic.

Plenty of choice there for lighting ceremonies! Hopefully they'll add some more events or markets to the programme.

Plenty of choice there for lighting ceremonies! Hopefully they'll add some more events or markets to the programme.

Sadly I think that's the full schedule. No markets this year :(

Sadly I think that's the full schedule. No markets this year :(

Pity. If they weren't going to bother with a market this year they could have at least organised a few more events.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Loughc wrote:
    Sadly I think that's the full schedule. No markets this year

No markets this year? Seriously?
    The one year I was planning on making the most of it?

Here are the dates for the Coca Cola truck:

http://www.her.ie/news/the-coca-cola-truck-is-coming-to-ireland-heres-when-and-where-you-can-see-it/319164

Drogheda – M1 Retail Park – Saturday, November 26 2016

Dublin – Smithfield – Sunday, November 27 2016

Kilkenny – The Parade – Saturday, December 3 2016

Cork – Mahon Point Shopping Centre – Sunday, December 4 2016

Galway – Galway Shopping Centre, Hedford Road – Friday, December 9 2016

Limerick – Parkway Shopping Centre – Saturday, December 10 2016

Derry – Foyleside Shopping Centre – Friday, December 16 2016

Belfast – SSE Arena Belfast (Odyssey Arena) – Sunday, December 18 2016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Sunday 13 November, 6pm – Grafton Street Lighting Ceremony

Shame bit late for my 2 & 3yr olds..

I booked The Snowman for my wife and 3yr old. looking forward to surprising her with the tickets.. it'll be her first 'occasion' just the two of them..

• Advertisement

Yea thought it was later than usual, we will still go but we will eat beforehand instead of after like we usually do.

The Lighthouse Cinema is showing lots of Christmas movies:

http://www.lighthousecinema.ie/newsarticle.php?sec=NEWS&_aid=7332

kitten_k wrote: »

Excellent, thanks for posting that. I've been keeping an eye on the website for their Christmas film schedule for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Shame bit late for my 2 & 3yr olds..

I booked The Snowman for my wife and 3yr old. looking forward to surprising her with the tickets.. it'll be her first 'occasion' just the two of them..

Probably needs to be after 5 for it to be dark enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

kitten_k wrote: »

They forgot Scrooged!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Fans of all things festive are in for a treat this yuletide season. Step back in time to Georgian Dublin and enjoy a traditional Christmas atmosphere as Merrion Square throws open its gates and doors and lights the sky bright with Christmas cheer at a series of seasonal events.

Kicking off the festivities come along to Merrion Square Park at 6pm on Tuesday November 22nd for the Lighting up of the Square in partnership with the ESB and Dublin City Council. Enjoy a magical atmosphere in the heart of historic Dublin where a lights installation created especially for the Park will be turned on, allowing it to shine brightly throughout the Christmas season.

If a day of traditional festive fun for all the family is what you’re after, Christmas on Merrion Square returns for its fifth year on Saturday November 26th. See behind the doors of magnificent houses, walk through grand Georgian rooms and get a sense of how people lived over two hundred years ago with a whole host of events taking place on and around the Square from 10am – 5pm. From free horse and carriage rides to Christmas carols, creative Irish-made gifts and wonderful seasonal artisan food, the day offers something for all ages and tastes.

The centrepiece of the day, Irish Artisans On The Square, takes place in Number 45, the Irish Architectural Archive where fans of Irish craft and design can pick up some extra special, high quality gifts. 25 of Ireland’s leading contemporary designers and makers will showcase their wonderful works. Meet established names including jewellery designer Chupi, affordable contemporary art from Hens Teeth Prints, richly scented natural candles from Belfast based The Bearded Candle Makers and breakthrough duo, The Dublin Honey Project. Other seasonal treats on the day will include arm knitting with Winnies and seasonal sounds from The Greedy Pig.

Continuing the seasonal cheer on the Square, come along to Carols by Candlelight on Monday December 12th at 6pm taking place in the beautiful Georgian surroundings of the Pepper Canister Church, one of the city’s most famous churches. Call in on your way home from work or bring the family for a free festive treat, a traditional service of nine lessons led by clergy from the local churches and carols from Classicus Youth Choir followed by refreshments.

Christmas on Merrion Square is sponsored by Dublin City Council. All events are free with some ticketed. Visit www.merrionsquare.ie for more information.

Got an email about this yesterday...I was so annoyed that I won't be in Dublun that weekend for it that I forgot to post it here, lol. They had a similar (non-Christmas) event in Aug/Sep this year and it was really, really good, lots of unusual food vendors there and I knew they were probably testing it out for Christmas...and now I'm missing it!! :( I shouldn't complain, off to Christmas market in Copenhagen that weekend :D

401595.jpg

• Advertisement

miamee wrote: »
    Got an email about this yesterday...I was so annoyed that I won't be in Dublun that weekend for it that I forgot to post it here, lol. They had a similar (non-Christmas) event in Aug/Sep this year and it was really, really good, lots of unusual food vendors there and I knew they were probably testing it out for Christmas...and now I'm missing it!! :( I shouldn't complain, off to Christmas market in Copenhagen that weekend :D

I was at the one earlier in the year. It was brilliant. I think they did it last year too. I'd rather be in Copenhagen but it's a good second place!

Advertisement