Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new Priory hall whos are the brave ones ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

They look incredible, and there cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭handlemaster

cheap ? there quiet small, two bed 65 sq ms !!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

cheap ? there quiet small, two bed 65 sq ms !!!

However- 65m/2 for a 2 bed- is pretty standard these days- unfortunately the days of having oodles of space- went the way of the dodo somewhere in the early 90s..........

Spec looks quite good. Price is reasonable- however, of course- good luck ever selling it- if you decide to try- its a bit of an unknown commodity.

Could be a worthwhile punt for someone- providing they intended to live there themselves, and not try to sell for a protracted period of time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

165000 for a 2 bed thats 700sq ft in Dublin, with a bus outside your door and a dart town the road. That is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭vmb

Who is going to buy an apartment in front of some semi demolished buildings?

it looks really ugly.

• Advertisement

vmb wrote: »
    Who is going to buy an apartment in front of some semi demolished buildings?

it looks really ugly.

Its not going to look as ugly forever........
    If you're willing to think outside the box- and ignore the history of the place- its entirely possible you may get yourself a nice property at a significant discount to what you might expect to pay in a different development..........

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Its not going to look as ugly forever........
    If you're willing to think outside the box- and ignore the history of the place- its entirely possible you may get yourself a nice property at a significant discount to what you might expect to pay in a different development..........

can mere mortals ignore the history - yes, will insurance companies - perhaps not.

That would be my biggest concern is that they are marked uninsurable.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

The basic structure is the same as it was when they were condemned, I'd be worried over time they might find more serious issues like they were built on sand or something. Is pyrite not an issue on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think there was problems with the old buildings, re they did not comply with safety standards re fire safety .if you are buying you could get a survey and maybe ask for a gaurantee the new building is compliant
    with 2016 building regs and fire safety standards .
    Are they good value for apartments in that location and that size.
    Look on daft ie ,see what other apartments go for.
    Find out where was the new building inspected by the council or is just
    a case of someone signing a form ,This building is built as shown in the plans and is compliant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

My brother is actually getting one of these as a council tenant. I visited the apartment when he was to view it. Yes, they are small, but the build quality is excellent. They put huge effort into these because of the history and wanted to make sure everything was right. The location really is super....especially for him. His kids go to school locally and we grew up in the area. The park is one the community enjoys. Bus right outside, Dart station down the road. Oodles of amenities.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 WindomEarle

good luck ever selling it- if you decide to try- its a bit of an unknown commodity.

It is probably a far more known quantity than any other apartment block built in that era, given the amount of investigations and reviews that have gone on.

It is probably a far more known quantity than any other apartment block built in that era, given the amount of investigations and reviews that have gone on.

What I meant was- given how much information is out there on Priory Hall- whether you're able to sell it down the road, or not, is a bit of an unknown quantity.........

Well kitted out it certainly is- however, if a block of apartments complying with current regs were built half a mile down the road- its a bit of a no-brainer which people would go for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I cant believe they didnt rename it something different. I seen the pics online and I was really impressed. It looks like those luxury apartments that were twice the price in Smithfield. The energy rating is really good on them

I imagine they will probably be the most fire safe apartments in Dublin. They will know buyers and the media will be going through the apartments with a fine tooth comb.

One concern I would have is the sinking fund. If the development is a redevelopment is the sinking fund empty? I know the apartments have been gutted with a new roof etc. But it is still important to have one

newacc2015 wrote: »
    One concern I would have is the sinking fund. If the development is a redevelopment is the sinking fund empty? I know the apartments have been gutted with a new roof etc. But it is still important to have one

Its important to have a provision for one in place- it is up to the owners then, what happens with it.

Its moot to be honest, whether, or not, it is a funded sinking fund- after the carnage of the last decade- while all developments have sinking funds- the vast majority of them are either unfunded in their entirety- or funded to levels below the official guidelines.

The guidelines are just that though- guidelines- there is no penalty for failing to adhere to the guidelines (with the exception of Companies legislation- if a Management Company is proven to be trading while insolvent, the directors risk being prescribed, which can include a ban on holding a company position for a period of up to 12 years (and thats providing there is no criminality involved- in which case there are other penalties that might apply).

All-in-all- the presence, or lack of presence, of a sinking fund- in the context of a development such as this- is meaningless.

As long as there is not significant debt overhang on the Management Company (from the restorative works)- you're really quids in- and the sink fund, and the operation of the Management Company- is what the new owners make it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The basic structure is the same as it was when they were condemned, I'd be worried over time they might find more serious issues like they were built on sand or something. Is pyrite not an issue on these?

The basic structure had no faults from what I was told (RC Frame).
    The redevelopment saw the blocks stripped back to the shell and rebuilt from there up. I don't think pyrite would be an issue as I can't see them not checking while these works were on going.
    riclad wrote: »
    I think there was problems with the old buildings, re they did not comply with safety standards re fire safety .if you are buying you could get a survey and maybe ask for a gaurantee the new building is compliant
    Are they good value for apartments in that location and that size.
    Look on daft ie ,see what other apartments go for.
    Find out where was the new building inspected by the council or is just
    a case of someone signing a form ,This building is built as shown in the plans and is compliant

One of the fire safety issues was with the external facade not been compartmentised properly and the fixings of same back to the frame. In the case of a fire in one unit, it could enter this void and the connections were not fire rated correctly so the whole front facade in theory could fall off onto the fire tenders below.

The Council Architects section supervised the construction with their own clerk of works on site permanently so my opinion is they they are better constructed now to current standards. But it's worth noting that the TGD Part B currently in use is the same regulations since 2006 so they haven't changed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 WindomEarle

Well kitted out it certainly is- however, if a block of apartments complying with current regs were built half a mile down the road- its a bit of a no-brainer which people would go for?

I know where you're coming from, but how would you know if the other block was complying with the current regs? It would not have gone through the same degree of scrutiny as Priory Hall.

I know where you're coming from, but how would you know if the other block was complying with the current regs? It would not have gone through the same degree of scrutiny as Priory Hall.

It's worth noting the the current fire safety regs are the same since 2006.
    They will be updated next year though.

Also, the MC should have no reconstruction costs as didn't DCC buy and restore them?

Passing by an hour ago. They had viewings over the weekend. According to the security guard, they are all sold now.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭CFC007

Are these been sold as new builds i.e. Fall under the help to buy scheme?

CFC007 wrote: »
    Are these been sold as new builds i.e. Fall under the help to buy scheme?

Technically- they fail to meet Revenue's definition of a 'new build'- however, if they sold out over the weekend, anything is possible (that said- they priced them to get them the hell out the door- regardless of whether they are new builds, or not, they were priced to sell........)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭CFC007

Phase one fully sold out as confirmed above. I'm out of the country at the moment but would have liked to have been able to view the 2 bed duplex. I've been added to the cancellation list but more than likely will have to wait for phase 2. Any idea how far the redevelopment is in phase 2?

CFC007 wrote: »
    Phase one fully sold out as confirmed above. I'm out of the country at the moment but would have liked to have been able to view the 2 bed duplex. I've been added to the cancellation list but more than likely will have to wait for phase 2. Any idea how far the redevelopment is in phase 2?

At a guess, assuming phase 2 is the opposite side of the street, I would say a good year. They are bare a$$ right now. My brother is expecting to be moving in within the next fortnight, so if I get anymore info, i'll post it up here.

18-24 months I am told by acouncil official

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JMNK

I have been thru the mill with the vendor the city council Dublin City Council DCC. They are selling these apts WITHOUT planning permission compliance. Yes they have the best builds in Dublin fantastic but to get the mortgage awarded the city council are not releasing any sort of planning docs. They are now suggesting a banking federation approach. Are there any other of the 40+ buyers out there having the same conveyancing problems. This is very serious in terms of planning law. The city council are being economic with the truth here. It will become a problem for any of us who may wish to sell in five years or so. I have been advised by other local authority architects that DCC should have a Part 8 Planning Act for this rebuild but none exists. If all buyers put this issue to DCC then they will need to sort it by Ministerial order for retention. Buyer beware. Let's get DCC to resolve it. They must be fair but are not which is very poor.

JMNK wrote: »
    I have been thru the mill with the vendor the city council Dublin City Council DCC. They are selling these apts WITHOUT planning permission compliance. Yes they have the best builds in Dublin fantastic but to get the mortgage awarded the city council are not releasing any sort of planning docs. They are now suggesting a banking federation approach. Are there any other of the 40+ buyers out there having the same conveyancing problems. This is very serious in terms of planning law. The city council are being economic with the truth here. It will become a problem for any of us who may wish to sell in five years or so. I have been advised by other local authority architects that DCC should have a Part 8 Planning Act for this rebuild but none exists. If all buyers put this issue to DCC then they will need to sort it by Ministerial order for retention. Buyer beware. Let's get DCC to resolve it. They must be fair but are not which is very poor.

My understanding is that have been refurbished under the original planning application that was granted.

No, they lack the Architects compliance planning certification now needed under new regulations, incidentally devised after the first Priory Hall serious deficiencies. The Law Society template for conveyancing requires a full assessment of planning compliance for the cert of title; such is required by the mortgage company to proceed. Nobody has moved into the apts, the place was empty on Sunday with same security. We put down the deposits in October to DCC. Can they not pull their fingers out to get the buyers the correct paperwork. Can DCC not collectively address the 42 new buyers asap?

JMNK wrote: »
    No, they lack the Architects compliance planning certification now needed under new regulations, incidentally devised after the first Priory Hall serious deficiencies. The Law Society template for conveyancing requires a full assessment of planning compliance for the cert of title; such is required by the mortgage company to proceed. Nobody has moved into the apts, the place was empty on Sunday with same security. We put down the deposits in October to DCC. Can they not pull their fingers out to get the buyers the correct paperwork. Can DCC not collectively address the 42 new buyers asap?

The works did not require Planning so something is being lost in translation between you, your solicitor and DCC. What new Planning Regulations are you talking about?

The construction works did not fall under SI9, so Assigned Certifier Role was not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 scsa

Anyone else buying one of these and going through snagging right now? How's it going?

I only had a couple of points to get sorted (or so I thought!), but I'm getting a "take it or leave it" attitude back from DCC. :/

Yes. Still having problems with DCC. Still the issue is Planning Compliance as per my message of 29.1. Many letters swapped between solicitors since, but DCC are being obstinate. Cannot go yet to Bank until DCC supply the correct legal compliance. The recent refurbished build needed planning permission it seems. Waiting but need to close. It's March yet most of us paid deposit in Oct 2016.

Buyers must unite somehow this week to get DCC the vendor to supply us the full paperwork. Can Hooke and MacDonald not help now?.

• Advertisement

I know two other parties in same problem cannot close sale

Advertisement