Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Person of Interest [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Looking at that image above reminds me I'd thought Zoe Morgan might have made an appearance by now. I havent looked up any preview spoilers so maybe she'll show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Ageyev wrote: »
    Looking at that image above reminds me I'd thought Zoe Morgan might have made an appearance by now. I havent looked up any preview spoilers so maybe she'll show up.

Actress was busy on The 100 IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,282 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Perfection.

I won't lie I shed a tear.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Have loved this show so much from day one and I have to say this season while I enjoyed it immensely some of the episodes I feel I wasn't as much in awe as some people on here, maybe because I knew the end was coming or because in the middle they seemed to try wrap some things up and it lost the intensity of the first few episodes..but that finale was just incredible.

I am literally lost for words after it, such a perfect ending to the show and a roller coaster of emotions. I don't think at this moment I could have hoped or expected it to end any better than it did.

I think its only going to hit home when next week comes and I realise that there wont be another episode to watch. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

There has been a trend in these quasi-filmesque TV shows since The Sopranos (through The Wire, Breaking Bad and others) to portray 'The Hero' as ambivalent and morally ambiguous.

PoI was about Finch and his moral philosophy. He tended toward good and it brushed off on those around him and affected their actions.

It was Finch's willingness to commit that final act that sealed it for me. John was great but we've seen that redemptive soldier character before...

Wowza! This was a special one. There were tears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Wow. How do I go into work after that? I'm f**king miserable. :o

History will be kind to PoI and people will appreciate it more after it's gone.

I hope there is no more, I really do.
    No continuations with a different team, no reboots.
    Anything after this will dilute its legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

What an ending... i bawled like a baby.. its only a tv show.. but easily in my top 3 of all time..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

that was a great end to a great show, like someone said earlier its weird that this show doesnt have a larger audience, even in america its a very underrated show, it has easily been (for me anyway) the best show on network tv in america for the last few years, such a shame to see it go, but i think it has gone out on top, something which a lot of shows dont get the privilege to do these days,

it was great to see finch finally move on and go be with grace, he was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice, but he was rightly spared, he choose to give up his life, he could have just lived a normal life, but he choose to sacrifice his happiness to help others, i think he gave up more than anyone else to help the machine, john, shaw and root were soldiers, and they got their own redemption through harold, they knew how much he was responsible for who they had become,

sad to see johns end, there just wasnt a way out in that scenario, he died a hero just like his father did, and he has saved so many lives that he will still live on, long after his death,

it seems shaw is the new admin for the machine, and will continue saving people with the machines help, i wonder if fusco would still be working with her, and if harold even knows that the machine beat samaritan and had returned to watch over everyone,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

I have to give the series finale a 3.5 / 10 :(

Season 5 has unfortunately been quite bad (since Season 4 tbh). The show had such a great story concept but the CBS overlords screwed it up. There are so many plot holes and loose ends that it's difficult to find emotional closure.

The preview trailers setup for a large subway fight but nope, 5 rounds fired and that was the end of it (Budget constraints most likely), also, how the hell did Blackwell get onto the train?? Nonsense!

The interactions between Finch and Reese at times felt too forced, there was no real emotional connection there. Similar to that horrible love scene between Carter and Reese, that was physically discomforting bad.

The CGI for the rocket, Reese being shot blood splatter and explosion was terrible. Did they use MS Paint for the effects?

Reese has a proper send off and for that I am happy.

Why they finished the series open ended is beyond me. Overall I am happy to see this end because it could have only gotten worse if it had continued.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Brilliant finale. It covered a sweep of things: John making the final sacrifice, Shaw shedding a tear, Fusco finding peace and acceptance, and Harold getting that wonderful happy ending.

I'm glad Samaritan had a back up and I'm also glad we didn't waste a load of time on a big gun battle - there's no need for it. This was about their interactions with each other and the Machine. Harold's chat with the Machine about the meaning of life was beautifully done.

One of the most satisfying show finales I've seen and I'm sure myself, and others here, will be voting for it in the TV finales.

Nice choice in music by the way when Harold is facing his demise on the rooftop. It's a track called "Bunsen Burner" and it happens to be from the film "Ex Machina", which is one of the best films about AI. A bit of a nod from the best show about AI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

I loved that the background music at the start of the episode and throughout Finches scenes was the same music from EX Machina when the whoel esperiment collapses in at the end, a nice little tie in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭squonk

I came on here to read people's reactions. I thought it was a great finalé. I'm still thinking about it and it stopped me in my tracks and, while I didn't shed a tear, I've come away feeling more affected by the ending of a show than I have in a long time. John's end was hard to watch. I'm coming back to say more tomorrow but I too want it left as is. No reboots, no follow on seasons, no movies. It was a fine piece of television. I'll absolutely be going back to rewatch in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Great series finale. And I'm delighted they finished it since they had completed the episodes before the cancellation was announced.

When Finch was saved all I was saying to the tv was "Go to Grace!" Glad he got that ending.

Will miss this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

It's strange but I'm quite ambivalent about the show ending.
    I think it was the whole Samaritan story and the feeling I had of how unlikely it was, despite the fact that I'd been watching a show about an over-reaching AI for 3 seasons. For me Samaritan was like a bad conspiracy theory that then had too many people involved, making it all the more unlikely.
    I suppose what I'm saying is that after Samaritan was introduced, I just didn't believe the show any more. Sorry to say, but Person of Interest became my go to "fall asleep watching" show for quite a few episodes.

But thinking about it now, it had to have been the execution of the Samaritan story. I think from its introduction, it felt awkward and rushed. The HR storyline was much more convincing for me. Samaritan's men, dressed in black, just turning up every other episode with guns blazing was all a bit comic book.

I'm surprised to say that I probably won't miss it despite being enthralled by it for almost 3 seasons. C'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭squonk

A few hours one I think the finale was great. It was less apocalyptic than I expected but quite profound really. I think it did what it did very well, namely crystalising the entire motivations of the main characters. I haven't a lot more to say really. I think this was a great finale and it's great, and a little rare, to see a show go out on it's own terms and at the top of it's game.

I'm not sure I'm happy to see the machine survive. I suppose if it didn't something else would come along however having the machine destroy both itself and Samaritan would have been more of a fitting end in my book. I'm guessing that Team Machine is now Fusco, Shaw and Bear. Finch deserves his freedom.

So, yeah, sad it's gone but delighted it left on it's terms and I think it's legacy will be great.

I love how that machine taught itself, knowing that it's back up would not have Harold to teach it the morality again.

The NY team is Finch, Bear and new leader Shaw but there will be teams all over now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Binge watching s1 to s05 since our hols in May, wished i hadnt rushed through now its finished. Jealous of you who watched over the last 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Brilliant finale to an absolutely fantastic show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Belatedly watched the finale, and while it seemed a little strange that the Samaritan showdown was a little understated to the point of being a bit of an anticlimax, in many other respects this was the right kind of series finale: one that put its characters front & centre, giving them all a sense of emotional closure and a muted goodbye. Nothing celebratory mind you; given some people's sacrifices, it would have rung false for everyone to walk away ostensibly happy.

The door was left slightly ajar for a season 6 I guess, but honestly it would seem a little disingenuous to try and keep the flame burning after that ending. Shaw walking off, with a new purpose as The Machine's NY conduit seems like a closing off the story as a whole. About as close to 'walking off into the sunset' as you can get given the scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭aine1980

What a great piece of television, have just finished binge watching the last season and I'm glad I waited to see it altogether.. it definitely didn't disappoint & will be missed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Season 4 is now on the Irish Netflix lads.

I've been rewatching the end of season 3 and start of season 4 on Netflix during the week.

Has anyone else who watched the show looked at cameras around the place more since watching the show ?

Also how perfect was the beautiful amy acker at playing root ? I think she was the best character on the show over the five seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Also how perfect was the beautiful amy acker at playing root ? I think she was the best character on the show over the five seasons.

I think this was something that the shows creators/writers did really well, using our predefined 'archetypes' and then tweaking them enough to make them unique and memorable. E.g. Sameen - could have been a cardboard cut-out of the female assassin, instead becomes interesting, through her character development (snark and fixation with shoes helped too).

Most of the main characters are in the boat, especially Elias who, sorry to disagree with Itssoeasy here, but, for me, is the stand out of season 1&2 and perhaps the show in it's entirety.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭dogcat

Throughout the past month or so, I have watched all five seasons of this show with keen earnest. I caught it once on RTÉ randomly one night after another show I like, and that episode got me interested. For me, I have to always start a show at the start, so I learned a lot of stuff throughout the show. I really liked Carter and I was sad that she died. Root was my favourite main character throughout the show, and her death made me rather sad.

Thank you POI for what I know as one of the best television series' I have ever watched, if not the best. I really do hope for a continuation of some sorts, maybe even a show that showe Root's antics, or a show that showed everything from Samaritan's point of view (not in terms of the graphics, I mean, like, see the ins and outs of them and their characters).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

I watched this up to the end of season 3 a few years ago, then we moved house and lost recordings.

I rewatched 1-3 recently and I am currently watching season 4. I'm a big fan of the show, and cant wait to see how it finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Just finished this there, what a show. Bit upset now. Really grew attached to all the characters, but I think the development (and their fight for foregiveness and defining themselves) of john and fusco was key to the shows success.

Really really great show, great characters, great story linking, some heartwrenching scenes...couldnt recommend it enought.

This thread should be locked :(

Every time a new post appears I get a small glimmer of hope about some magic news, only for crushing reality to come crashing in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

This thread should be locked :(

Every time a new post appears I get a small glimmer of hope about some magic news, only for crushing reality to come crashing in

Clicked into this thread, in the hope of a possible spin off news. :mad::mad:

And not for the first time.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Season 4 is now on the Irish Netflix lads.

Exactly a year later and no sign of season 5 on Netflix!

Advertisement