Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chocolate stout Dublin

• 08-10-2016 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

Hey thinking of having a few bottles of stout later, looking for a few bottles of chocolate stout that I can get in most off licenses, any suggestions???

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Galway Bay's Buried At Sea is a good one. And Young's Double Chocolate is decent, and fairly readily available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Trouble Dark Arts Porter has a lovely chocolate taste but don't think it has any actual chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Cheers guys thanks for the suggestions :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Russian Imperial Chocolate Stout is very good, as is Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Also worth a drink is The White Hag's Oatmeal Chocolate Milk Stout, it's delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Nitro Milk Stout is serious gear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Avoid Young's and anything else with actual chocolate in it. The chocolate flavour should come from the roasted malt.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    The chocolate flavour should come from the roasted malt.
    Not many beers put "chocolate" in the name if they don't have actual chocolate in them. Brooklyn Black Chocolate is the only one I can think of.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Not many beers put "chocolate" in the name if they don't have actual chocolate in them. Brooklyn Black Chocolate is the only one I can think of.

Well you have me there because I've only ever drank three: Brooklyn, Young's and a third that I can't recall the name of. I purchased it in Belgian Attitude in Cagnes-sur-mer and the owner assured me that, like Young's, it contained actual chocolate. This sounds absolutely ridiculous, but the latter two were too chocolatey for me. I guess I just like that burnt chocolate taste you get from coffee and stouts and that's what I'd look for in a 'chocolate stout'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

OP is asking for a chocolate stout, so I'd assume they want a stout with extra chocolate oomph.

In order of chocolatiness for me (low to high)

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
    James Brown's Chocolate Orange Stout
    Galway Bay Buried at Sea
    Founders Breakfast Stout (double chocolate, coffee oatmeal stout)
    Founders KBS
    Siren Caribbean Chocolate Cake
    Youngs Double Chocolate Stout
    Porterhouse Chocolate Truffle Stout (only available at Easter on draft)
    Saltaire Triple Chocoholic Stout

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Thornbridge Cocoa Wonderland is one of the most distinctive and well balanced chocolate porter's you'll taste imho.

• Advertisement

slayerking wrote: »
    OP is asking for a chocolate stout, so I'd assume they want a stout with extra chocolate oomph.

In order of chocolatiness for me (low to high)

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
    James Brown's Chocolate Orange Stout
    Galway Bay Buried at Sea
    Founders Breakfast Stout (double chocolate, coffee oatmeal stout)
    Founders KBS
    Siren Caribbean Chocolate Cake
    Youngs Double Chocolate Stout
    Porterhouse Chocolate Truffle Stout (only available at Easter on draft)
    Saltaire Triple Chocoholic Stout

Would many of them contain actual chocolate?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Anything to be said about galway bay stout?? 4 for €10 in tescos, thinking about getting a few, any opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Who knows! Youngs claim to use actual chocolate, but I'd wonder whether the fats would actually destroy the head of the beer. Most probably use cocoa nibs, Chocolate extract or brewing skills (grain selection).

I think all those do, except Brooklyn's.
    Buckfast W wrote: »
    Anything to be said about galway bay stout?
    Yes, several times in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Dunno if there is any around by now but Blacks World's End or Siren Caribbean Chocolate Cake are lovely.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

slayerking wrote: »
    Who knows! Youngs claim to use actual chocolate, but I'd wonder whether the fats would actually destroy the head of the beer. Most probably use cocoa nibs, Chocolate extract or brewing skills (grain selection).

I'd assume it's always cocoa and poetic licence.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Galway Bay use Green and Blacks Cocoa in their Buried at Sea.

Other methods would be chocolate essence, syrup, chocolate malt and chocolate liqueur as well.

Advertisement