Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Installing weather station out on public beach

• 14-10-2016 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, we'd like to install a weather station with anemometer and little wind power generator (just for the station and modem) down on Garrylucas beach.

I'm just wondering if we'd need some permission from some local council or office there, or if you can just errect it on your own.

I tried to search irish internet, but only thing I found were docs about installing big mobile phone antenae or large wind turbine masts. Any suggestions to point the right direction? Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I suspect you would need permission from the local council

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

If you don't own the land, you need permission from whoever does.

As the vast majority of our foreshore is owned by the State, you would need a statutory consent from the Dept of the Environment and I'd assume that they'll demand an indemnity as a prerequisite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kuba.b

That's what I thought but wasn't sure of that. Hopefully it wouldn't be much... I was also thinking it might be backed by all kinds of safety regulations and so on... Basically, just not worth of trying it. But still I'm not giving up without knowing the real cost. So, I just have to find some responsible place to go to...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    If you don't own the land, you need permission from whoever does.

As the vast majority of our foreshore is owned by the State, you would need a statutory consent from the Dept of the Environment and I'd assume that they'll demand an indemnity as a prerequisite.

Foreshore is the bit underwater, the land above Mean High Water Springs is CoCo land. So not much use to have a weather station that submerges twice daily :pac:

BTW, it's Dept of Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government, not Dept of Environment for foreshore licensing.

Advertisement