Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain alerts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Esel wrote: »
    Didn't spot that, thanks.

Might pick up a few and safely experiment with removing/refitting. Could be handy if you could transfer cartridge between say stove and lantern.

This might save you the cost https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWHJp8ONhK8 sorry its all in Greek but has subtitles. Not much to see but it does show a comparison about 55 seconds in.

Also note have you seen that burner for sale anywhere ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Don't buy the collapsible water container, leaked the first time I used it.

Tabnabs wrote: »

They are normally fairly rubbish but worth getting a couple of the ones in Dealz, €1.50 is a much better price.

They need testing I suppose but I wouldn't put water in them until they were needed because you can't easily dry them out and whats left goes stale and manky. Foot pump and inflate them might be a better test if storing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I've picked up a few on eBay had one rolled in a maxpedition dump pouch for over a year until I used it it worked perfectly refilled it about 4 times that day then binned it as I wasn't too trusting on leaving it. Very cheap on eBay if you buy in bulk

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lidl Thur 09/06

5m x 4m Tarpaulin with 18m cord €10

Reversible Green / Anthracite

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Lidl Thur 09/06

5m x 4m Tarpaulin with 18m cord €10

Reversible Green / Anthracite

You were doing great till you mentioned the cord :D I have about half a dozen hanks of it from Lidl Tarpaulins I've bought and I must get rid of them as its embarrassing to have them around the place.

davycc wrote: »
    might pick up the fancy new self inflating insulated mat at only 20e

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=803
    The mat is bulky and weighs over 1.5kg.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

The mat is bulky and weighs over 1.5kg.

yep i went and bought it earlier and i was struggling to carry it home with the rest of my shopping :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

yep i went and bought it earlier and i was struggling to carry it home with the rest of my shopping :o

try it out and tell us how it is on rough ground

Yeah, not for the BOB - you'd need a Thermarest for that. They are mad expensive though. I have two lightweight ones - one bought new a good few years ago, the other secondhand.

The Lidl one would be grand for regular camping etc. Handy if someone is sleeping over too. A few puffs of air after it self-inflates is a good idea. Not too hard though!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

thats exactly what i got it for regular lazy man camping and it will come in handy around the house too.

ill keep you informed too sheesh hopefully give it a try before end of month on a little solo 1 nighter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I was in Ted Johnson's in Naas today and it has changed direction somewhat, from a focus on just domestic/agri/work hardware to a greater emphasis on leisure/marine/horse sport/camping/outdoors/caravanning. It has a huge variety of clothing, torches, multitools, containers, ropes,etc ,etc and is definitely worth a visit. I'm not related to them in any way!!

witchcraft :pac: i tried both links twice the 1st time brought me to 17jul too and 2nd time both links worked fine

Checked out the double burner and the "trangia"

Double burner my ass! Two burners each needing its own screw in gas canister. Why bother?

"Trangia" seemed OK packed up badly as expected and weighed according to the box 730grams. Bulky but not a bad buy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hyerinster/estream-a-portable-water-power-generator-fits-into
    Bring your own power plant : Estream converts any type of moving water into stored energy to charge every usb-connected mobile devices.

$200 or so for this interesting set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Interesting but I see a flaw in their design. Exposed blades like to hit off rocks in shallow water, plastic blades won't last long. In practice a lot of these things like the solar chargers with a big li-ion battery are charged on the mains with a little top up now and then from the renewable source followed by it's owner waxing lyrical about "Oh! Look I used some real treehugger-approved power to charge my iPhone 7"

Interesting but I see a flaw in their design. Exposed blades like to hit off rocks in shallow water, plastic blades won't last long. In practice a lot of these things like the solar chargers with a big li-ion battery are charged on the mains with a little top up now and then from the renewable source followed by it's owner waxing lyrical about "Oh! Look I used some real treehugger-approved power to charge my iPhone 7"

They have thought of that - there is a clip on ring that goes around the blades to protect them in shallow water.

But can't ever imagine it would be a bargain.

Edit> The problem for me would be why carry two batteries, the one in your device and the one in the charger? All takes too much time with charging the units own battery and then charging the device you want to use. Weight wise you could carry a solar charger that was 4-5 times the output for the same weight.

However if you plan camping by a fast moving river every night then its use gets a little more appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

ALDI AXE
    https://www.aldi.ie/pr...xe/p/093477044007300

its 2kg
    compared to lidl had one couple weeks ago but was only 1.5 kg
    that was very light

• Advertisement

GY A1 wrote: »
    ALDI AXE
    https://www.aldi.ie/pr...xe/p/093477044007300

its 2kg
    compared to lidl had one couple weeks ago but was only 1.5 kg
    that was very light

Has just one feature too many for me - a nail puller on a 4lb axe ;)

I always keep my eye on Aldi as they have the occasional useful item, often in the reduced area. I'm waiting for the little wire ratchet winches they sometimes have to come back, I waited too long for them to be reduced when they didn't sell last time and they seem to have just taken them off display :mad:

Last week bought 4 wheelbarrow wheels https://www.aldi.ie/wheelbarrow-wheel/p/051985004467400 and now have a mobile 6'x4' chicken coop (used 25mm electricians metal conduit as an axle - perfect fit).

I did take a good hard look at the axe in Aldi when I was in there on Sunday and it looks better than I imagined it would. I don't think I'll be buying one to replace any of the half dozen axes I already have but it would be a decent axe for the money if you have nothing.

One issue with all felling axes used for splitting is that you can miss and damage the shaft so with a wooden shaft you can end up with the wood below the head paired away until it eventually breaks. No big deal replace the handle worst case you can even make some sort of handle, with a modern plastic material the shaft is still going to take that abuse but if it fails you have no way to replace it.

Boafeng UV 5R radios, you can get two for about €50 with the likes of Alieexpress. Seems like a good price for an entry level Ham radio.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20161013015444&SearchText=Baofeng+UV5R

Have a pair on order, will update when they arrive on the slow boat from China ;)

Looking to do the licence exam next year, is it handy enough to self study for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Boafeng UV 5R radios, you can get two for about €50 with the likes of Alieexpress. Seems like a good price for an entry level Ham radio.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20161013015444&SearchText=Baofeng+UV5R

Have a pair on order, will update when they arrive on the slow boat from China ;)

Looking to do the licence exam next year, is it handy enough to self study for this?

Was there something on here a while back about needing a licence for these or am I imagining it.

"Show me your license for carrying ham."

[(Sotto voce) "Fup off, you pig!"] "Can I produce it later? Here's a few rashers and sausages, and a bit of black pudding."

"Grand, so."

"Phew!" (Thinks: I must see about getting that license....)

Not your ornery onager

Bad_alibi wrote:
    Was there something on here a while back about needing a licence for these or am I imagining it.

Yeah, you need to do the amateur radio licence to operate these legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

How did these work out for you in the end. Was thinking about getting a set

It's a steep learning curve! I've heard taxi men, taxi base stations, vehicle recovery guys, Dublin Port and ships in the bay, but to get amateur radio transmissions from the various repeaters around the country is proving illusive. But it's not a straightforward as marine VHF.

You have to upgrade the aerials on this little radios (about a tenner, but massively worth it) and get a USB connection when ordering. The software to programme them is free (CHIRP) and easy to use. But am looking forward to learning more and getting some success with listening in until I have my licence and then can transmit myself.

But for under €100 you can have two radios and upgrades like aerials and hand-mics etc.

LED Lenser LED9807 T7.2 Tactical Torch, 320 Lumens - Black Gift Box

This has become a fairly regular Amazon deal as in I've seen a similar 24 hour deal twice in the last year or so. £30 and 14 hrs left when I posted this. Normally £60

Sorry old thread but seemed the best place to post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Lidl - LEDLENSER EV025 Flashlight €5 (10/12/20)

Don't get too excited its only a little key chain single AAA cell torch. No on off switch you screw the lens ring up to make the circuit, waterproof.

Quality seems good, BUT can't find it on the ledlenser.com website so might be a fake. If it is genuine then it looks like an item that would normally retail for at least €10

Edit> A closer look here

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement