Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

classic car change to logbook?

Options
  • 11-10-2016 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I am slowly in the process of renovating an old car back to roadworthy condition. It is 95% there with just a bit of wiring/soldering and another few niggly jobs left to do. Now it has been off the road since 92/93 and I bought it 2009 and has been parked in a shed in work while I have tinkered with it. I have declared it off road to the tax office since that law came in. So a few questions , can I get the logbook changed from private to classic while it is still off road ? Or do I have to wait till it is back on the road? Also if I Change it from private to classic, will I be issued with a new brown logbook or will they just change the category class on the old logbook? Thank you for any advice. I tried ringing the tax office but they were about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Normally in that situation they just amend the logbook, cross out private and put in vintage.
    But I'd go to the counter myself and get it done in person so that the book has no possibility of getting lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

not much point in changing it until you come to tax it really. Then do as Carchy says, go to the window yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hamburg

OK thanks for the advice, that is what I shall do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yep I did exactly that last year. Went in to retax and change class at the counter. Best €56 I ever spent :)

Advertisement