Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unbuilt Celtic Tiger High Rises

Options
  • 08-10-2016 7:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Interesting article about high rises planned (and given permission) during the boom that never actually were built.

They started building the watchtower (at the point) basement and liftshaft but stalled before going above ground level.

Dublin’s dizzy heights: Unbuilt Celtic Tiger high-rises

Dublin would be a different place altogether if they had been built at the time along with the Metro North and Dart Underground.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Commercial rents in Dublin have shot up rapidly from where they were in 2012. I don't have the numbers to hand. Would the numbers for these high rises made sense at today's rents?

I know it's a huge hypothetical and no banker or developer would have allowed it to happen in 2008 but it's an interesting thought experiment.

Likewise MN. If it had been pushed ahead in 2008 it would have likely meant larger welfare or public service pension cuts during the troika period. But today you'd be looking at a metro system ready to open making Dublin a far more interesting place for FDI and long-run growth and tax revenues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

image.jpg

If they built that 'Spencer Dock Hotel' back in 2007 it would have totally transformed Dublin and made a mockery of Dublin. But they could have gave it the go ahead at half the height, 80 meters.

I noticed the green space and the back of the conference center and thought it looked odd and not right. I didn't know a hotel was meant to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

aindriu80 wrote: »
    image.jpg

If they built that 'Spencer Dock Hotel' back in 2007 it would have totally transformed Dublin and made a mockery of Dublin. But they could have gave it the go ahead at half the height, 80 meters.

I noticed the green space and the back of the conference center and thought it looked odd and not right. I didn't know a hotel was meant to go there.

That building would have been impressive and set a precedence along with the other mooted ones. Hopefully a building with some decent height will be along at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭prunudo

That building would have been impressive and set a precedence along with the other mooted ones. Hopefully a building with some decent height will be along at some stage.

Will happen sooner than you think, a mate was telling me they're starting to work on sites around the grand canal dock again.

jvan wrote: »
    Will happen sooner than you think, a mate was telling me they're starting to work on sites around the grand canal dock again.

"Starting to work on". Not sure if you are referring to actual construction happening or plans for the future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

They could go further east and build some high rises there. I know it has been mentioned before but they could move some of the port and build a (Manhattan styled) few high rises. Far enough away from everything.

High is one thing, quality is another. There is no point in breaking the skyline if its another Calcutta type Dublin building. We are only after getting rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

"Starting to work on". Not sure if you are referring to actual construction happening or plans for the future?

Capital Dock in Sir John Rogersons Quay is already well under way with the tallest lift shaft of 23 storeys complete.

3 tall (by Irish standards) buildings of between approx 12 and 15 storeys are going up in the old Bolands Mills site nearby where site clearance has completed.

The 17 storey Exo building is going up near the Three Arena but I believe that is still at the planning stage.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Capital Dock in Sir John Rogersons Quay is already well under way with the tallest lift shaft of 23 storeys complete.

3 tall (by Irish standards) buildings of between approx 12 and 15 storeys are going up in the old Bolands Mills site nearby where site clearance has completed.

The 17 storey Exo building is going up near the Three Arena but I believe that is still at the planning stage.

All still small compared to what was planned but interesting nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

s9iti3k.png

hmm.. nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the stuff is rubbish going up in bolands mill and the the proposed exo. hopefully with rising rents, something far taller and higher quality is come up with for the exo site and indeed all sites in the docklands that are currently still undeveloped...

to move the port, the landvalues may have to rise another good bit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

aindriu80 wrote: »
    They could go further east and build some high rises there. I know it has been mentioned before but they could move some of the port and build a (Manhattan styled) few high rises. Far enough away from everything.

High is one thing, quality is another. There is no point in breaking the skyline if its another Calcutta type Dublin building. We are only after getting rid of them.

Seeing as the hideous Exo and the boring Capital docks and Bolands quay are the yardstick I wouldn't hold my breath. That said, there were some decent proposals in recent years that for various reasons weren't successful. It would be nice if the plans could be dusted off and put to good use in an appropriate area.

Website_Image_0003_0954_Dock_Tower_N1_1200x800.jpg
    0974.jpg
    000075.jpg
    dublin_lh6.jpg
    websitea.jpg
    dublin_u2tower.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Didnt U2 have a tower planned at one stage?

Advertisement