Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Psychological studies on abortion, forced pregnancy, adoption, etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Please add in any studies that you know of, it'd be great to have a FACTUAL resource.

Just to let people know that there is a Psychologists For Choice group now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just to let people know that there is a Psychologists For Choice group now.

Presume given they nature of the issue they can't really have the backing of the PSI, or do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

On a side note it's "interesting" to see how passionate/obstinate people are on the issue. I had callers to the door for pro life, one male and one female. One articulate and accepting of where I was and willing to discuss it over and back a bit. The other started talking about Hitler and concentration camps. Guess who I had more of a discussion with.
    I've been castigated by both sides online due to trying to discuss something. I'd imagine many are stuck in a middle grey area while others are immovable poles at either end.

• Advertisement

Presume given they nature of the issue they can't really have the backing of the PSI, or do they?

Given that various colleges of medicine eg College of Obstricians & Gynaecologists have come out in favour of choice, given the difficulties of the 8th amendment, and that PSI did make a strong statement back in 1993 on mental health outcomes for women who were forced to continue pregnancies unwillingly, on children from having been unwanted etc, there's no reason why they should look at and review the psychological studies and come out with a statement.

I'm not sure that anyone has requested them to, though. Might be an idea.

There are psychologists who are against choice, but as far as I can see they have lost any critical faculties and just keep offering anti-abortion arguments from "pr0-life" websites despite the general crappiness of their often outdated studies, quoting them like gospel. Total confirmation bias :mad:

Advertisement