Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

~~ Iceland megathread ~~

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I am dying to go back again and take my wife and girls next time. Was thinking about renting a proper motor home and driving around entire country in a week. Has anyone done this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I am dying to go back again and take my wife and girls next time. Was thinking about renting a proper motor home and driving around entire country in a week. Has anyone done this?
    I haven't rented a motorhome but I did rent a car.

A week might not be long enough. The roads are like most of Ireland's secondary roads (outside Reykjavik) and distances are longer than you might think.

Use Google maps to get driving times from your intended points to get an idea of the times and distances involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

fionny wrote: »
    So I've been reading that there is pretty much no point in getting ISK out as its one of the highest card using countries in the world? Is that true?

they also dont have a tipping culture which is also handy to know.

I would advise taking ISK. I used my debit card for everything and got charged a fair bit. Charges whether using card at point of sale and even ATM.
    But everywhere is set up for card payment if you don't take cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

So I've been reading that there is pretty much no point in getting ISK out as its one of the highest card using countries in the world? Is that true?

they also dont have a tipping culture which is also handy to know.

Cards are taken everywhere (at least where I was in the south). I took out ISK and came back with some of it.

It might not be a bad idea to let your card provider know that you are going to Iceland. When I booked the Blue Lagoon (from Ireland) the transaction was blocked and I had to ring Mastercard/UBL to explain. After that there was no problem. The last thing you need is to have a transaction blocked when in Iceland!

Tipping isn't expected either.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eleventy6

We are also thinking of going to Iceland, but I prefer less touristy destinations. I was talking to someone who went recently and said it was like a big building site at the moment in the touristy places.

Is this true?

• Advertisement

eleventy6 wrote: »
    We are also thinking of going to Iceland, but I prefer less touristy destinations. I was talking to someone who went recently and said it was like a big building site at the moment in the touristy places.

Is this true?

They are talking about the Blue Lagoon which is undergoing construction but does not effect the experience.

Even though Iceland is going through a tourist boom it is still not at all busy. Reykjavik is bizarrely quiet and very calm and not what you expect from a capital city and large towns in Ireland would be busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Volcano on verge of erruoption.... uh oh... we go sunday week

Hi Folk,

We are heading to iceland in the not too distant future... turns out a volcano MIGHT errupt and there is word on Dept Forgein affairs about Earthquakes near the volcano's, no reports of damage...

If we took out travel insurance (extra) for volcanos / natural disasters... would we be excluded as having notification of it... seen as it MIGHT go off and has not im not sure where we stand... 123's travel insurance has this line:

2 an incident which you were aware of at the time you took out
    this insurance or at the time of booking the trip and which could
    reasonably be expected to lead to a claim

or we have an existing policy with multitrip which has this

No cover for claims arising within 7 days or anything existing or being publicly announced by the date you purchased this insurance or at the time of booking any Trip. Refer to policy document for full cover & exclusions.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 40 roundone

I've just booked for 4 days next March. Any recommendations re who to book tours from/which tours?
    What clothes to bring?
    TIA

roundone wrote: »
    What clothes to bring?
    TIA

proper walking/hiking shoes, base layers, a fleece, hiking pants, a down jacket, hat and gloves.. That's the uniform of virtually every other tourist there! Get stuff that's light, warm and that can keep you dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 roundone

Sounds good! Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Hopefully it will provide a nice fireworks show and extend your stay

do not ignore the road closure signs to the wrecked DC3 plane (its a nice walk anyway!)

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/nature_and_travel/2016/08/29/tourist_charged_800_to_leave_banned_iceland_plane_w/

Hopefully it will provide a nice fireworks show and extend your stay

Hah sounds nice in theory but its an expensive place to be stuck :P

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Not my real name

For anyone who didn't hire a car how did you get from the airport to Reykjavik? Best I can find to the hotel is 77 return. Or 52 to the bus station but need to get a taxi after.

Does this sound about right?

For anyone who didn't hire a car how did you get from the airport to Reykjavik? Best I can find to the hotel is 77 return. Or 52 to the bus station but need to get a taxi after.

Does this sound about right?

It is a long way so not surprised it is expensive.

Wow airlines have a 'flybus' option to stops at a lot of hotels.

https://tours.wowair.com/tours/flybus/

Thanks I'll check that link!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

I've taken the FlyBus and it was fine. I have also gone by taxi and that was fine too, but I wasn't paying :-)

It may or may not be worthwhile to include the FlyBus+ option which includes taking you to your hotel. Reykjavik is quite small and you might be quicker walking or getting a taxi from the bus station.

http://www.iheartreykjavik.net/2016/03/the-pickup-pickle-and-the-dramas-of-drop-off/

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

Does anyone know if you have to do online check in with wow air or can you check in at the airport without charge

mmg0305 wrote: »
    I've taken the FlyBus and it was fine. I have also gone by taxi and that was fine too, but I wasn't paying :-)

It may or may not be worthwhile to include the FlyBus+ option which includes taking you to your hotel. Reykjavik is quite small and you might be quicker walking or getting a taxi from the bus station.

http://www.iheartreykjavik.net/2016/03/the-pickup-pickle-and-the-dramas-of-drop-off/
    That's interesting, the hotel is 6k from the bus station so we'll hop off there and get a taxi rather than wait for a transfer...thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Has anyone been to Reykjavik in December?

We're going early December for 5 nights with the primary aim of seeing the aurorae and then some of the other sights. It seems we will have little more than 3 hours of daylight at that time of year. Temperatures look like a few degrees under or over 0 so I imagine typical European winter clothing will suffice and I don't need the full North Face Chris Bonnington regalia?

Can anyone tailor suggestions for the short days and long nights. We're booked in the hotel in Reykjavik for the duration.

Thanks.

Anyone in Iceland this week?

Reykjavik to switch off street lights for Northern Lights
    Reykjavik City Council has announced its decision to switch off street lights in selected parts of the Icelandic capital to enable those in the city to enjoy the fantastic Northern Lights display forecast for tonight.

Street lights will be turned off between 10pm and 11pm in various districts of Reykjavik – including the city centre.

Residents have also been asked to switch off lights in their homes to reduce light pollution in the city as much as possible.

The police, fire brigade and power company Reykjavik Energy have all been informed.

People are urged to drive particularly carefully in the relevant areas and show consideration while the lights are out.

And what a fantastic experience it was (not quite like the pic above but brilliant none the less!). I picked the right day to come over.

Still here until tomorrow but I'll update when we get back. Amazing country, fantastic 3 days!!

What is the latest on the volcano ready to erupt? ( Can't remember the name!)
    I'm due to go on 3rd November

We were in the town of Vik yesterday having lunch when our guide told us that its getting ready to go and they are watching it closely. It's well overdue apparently.
    I'm sorry I've no scientific answer but there is a bit of talk about it here.

Just thought I'd update for anyone that's interested.

We had a really fantastic holiday, one of the best so far. Its a fascinating country with great history and geography.

We flew from Belfast with EasyJet, (€80 return) and stayed in Reykjavik Lights Hotel which was lovely, clean, great staff and great breakfast but about 30mins walk from the town centre. Booked through Travel Republic and got a good price.

Checked out Reykjavik first day, watched the lights that night on the pier wall.

Second day did the Blue Lagoon and Golden Circle tour through Gray Line, very comfortable and excellent guide, he really made the tour. His name was Swan (but I'm sure spelt differently). He was so informative and we learned loads about the Iceland. It was the afternoon tour and we got to see everything, back to hotel by 7pm.

Third day we did the South coast tour, it was a 10hr day and the company weren't a patch on Gray Line, think they were Called Iceland tours but even the bus wasn't as comfortable. Again a great day got to see everything it was really cool walking behind the waterfall in Seljalandsfoss and also climbing onto solheimajokull glacier.

(Reykjavik tours and flybus seemed good options as well for booking day trips).

I booked transfers to and from airport with Flybus.

One thing I will say is that the cost for anything over there is unbelievable, its really hard to do this holiday on a budget. There is a pizzeria next to our hotel and we went in the second night after the tour, 2 med size pizzas and 2 bottles of beer were €62. Five minute taxi ride was €17. Blue Lagoon we had 2 beers at the swim up bar and rented 2 (small) towels, €32. Its crazy!!

There really wasn't one negative thing about the 3 days (besides the comment above ), the people are so nice and helpful. Its also really safe, and there were a good few people on our tour travelling alone.

The highlight was definitely seeing the lights on Wednesday, stunning!

Forgot to say, it was cold especially early morning and late night. Weather also changed very quickly. You really need the right gear going. Our guide had to stop grandma heading down to the glacier in her little slip on shoes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eleventy6

God that sounds crazy! Why is it so expensive? Is it just for the tourists or is food in supermarkets etc really expensive.

How expensive are the restaurants etc? Just wondering because we will have our daughter with us

It's expensive for everyone, not just the tourist spots.

After speaking to a couple of the locals they told us they don't eat out, they drink at home and all meet up around midnight.

We averaged about 60 for 2 dinners & 2 beers each night for the 3 nights. No starters or desserts.

Supermarkets are a cheaper option, first day we went to the main supermarket that's everywhere (name escapes me!) and stocked up on water and snacks for our coach tours, that cost 22 for a small bag of biscuits/crisps/water/crackers.
    Also picked up 3 large dairy milk size bars of chocolate called siruis to bring home and that was 14.50.

As I said above it is hard to do it on a budget, maybe if you had facilities to cook you could eat in one or 2 nights, or get take away as well!
    It's still worth every penny, I'd love to bring my kids back when they are a little older!

Edited: They're called Bonus stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Apparently the seismic activity has been attributed to the glacier settling into a new position after changing shape due to the glacier melting during the summer. This is an annual phenomenon, though this volcano is 'overdue' a blowout.

Advertisement