Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Doge

RedXIV wrote: »
    I'm 90% sure i read somewhere that Sony did indeed plan to do this

They said they *may* do it, but for now theyre focussing on delivering content for the ps4.

Eitherway some brightspark will hack it to work on PCs in the meantime.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lads, talk to me about the controllers and camera :)

I've got the headset pre-ordered and was hoping for a bundle, but nothing seen yet. Should I just go ahead and order on Amazon or the likes (I've got a voucher, hence why I'm asking). What does my shopping list look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I am in the same boat, I already have the PS camera but want to get the move controllers, was tempted by the ones in CEX but might jump on the new bundle twin pack on amazon. Its looking increasingly unlikely we will get an official bundle here in Ireland now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

So you NEED the PS4 camera (any version, just in case as the new one was released very recently)
    You also COULD get the PS Move controllers but we've been told since day 1 that a dualshock will work too but I imagine the move controllers will help massively. Everything else comes with the headset.

I'm still pushing Gamestop and Playstation on twitter about the lack of bundles but they both "have nothing at this time"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I'm still pushing Gamestop and Playstation on twitter about the lack of bundles but they both "have nothing at this time"

I asked Sony on twitter as well a couple of weeks ago and got the same answer. Looks like we won't be getting a bundle. I would be surprised if Gamestop doesn't have some kind of retailer bundle that they put together themselves.

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    I asked Sony on twitter as well a couple of weeks ago and got the same answer. Looks like we won't be getting a bundle. I would be surprised if Gamestop doesn't have some kind of retailer bundle that they put together themselves.

Can't see why gamestop would put a bundle together if lauch pre-orders are sold out, hopefully they do but I cant see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭gmg678

so I picked up the camera a couple of weeks ago. The old rectangular model. The new model is the same just has a circular design. I was going to pick up the dual pack of move controllers( 70) but ended up going into CEX yesterday and got 2 for 24.if the move controllers are made to work more with the headset I will but new ones but for now the 2 I got will do.

I now have to decide on games to get....

gonna try all the demo's first and then make my decision, already have star wars battlefront so I will have that x-wing mission aswell. The move controller from CEX are they in good condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I bought a Move (already had one so just needed another), and an official charging dock from CEX for €16 total. Both were perfect, and i think CEX gives a warranty with them too.

Is it 2 weeks today to launch? I wonder what the odds of walking into an Argos and getting one of these is, on Launch day? I Have one pre booked on Amazon, but delivery isn't expected until 20th October.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

So you NEED the PS4 camera (any version, just in case as the new one was released very recently)
    You also COULD get the PS Move controllers but we've been told since day 1 that a dualshock will work too but I imagine the move controllers will help massively. Everything else comes with the headset.

With the Move controllers, is it just one of the things with the ball on the end? Two of them? One with the ball and one of the other "navigation" things?

Thanks, and sorry for being a noob on this. It's an Xmas present so don't want a situation where its unplayable on Xmas morning :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Lord TSC wrote: »
    With the Move controllers, is it just one of the things with the ball on the end? Two of them? One with the ball and one of the other "navigation" things?

Thanks, and sorry for being a noob on this. It's an Xmas present so don't want a situation where its unplayable on Xmas morning :P

No worries :)

It's two with the light up balls on the ends. The Navigation controller is a bit of a legacy from the PS3 era, not being used with VR as far as I know. I'm no expert but from my understanding, the move controllers need to have the light source for the PSVR headset to pick up in order to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Just a heads up folks, if you're looking into the Move controller twin pack on Amazon (£70), you could just get two single packs for £33 each. ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-Move-Controller-PSVR/dp/B004V7K0IK/ref=sr_tnr_p_4_4120828031_1_twi_acc_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1475153587&sr=1-4&keywords=psvr&th=1

Nailz wrote: »
    Just a heads up folks, if you're looking into the Move controller twin pack on Amazon (£70), you could just get two single packs for £33 each. ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-Move-Controller-PSVR/dp/B004V7K0IK/ref=sr_tnr_p_4_4120828031_1_twi_acc_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1475153587&sr=1-4&keywords=psvr&th=1

wondering what I should go for now, 2 move controller in cex will cost me 24 euro or amazon for 70 pounds but I have a 25 pound credit for amazon. Then there is the fact that these move controllers could plummet in price a few weeks after the release of the VR and even a bundle with vr and these could happen at launch.. oh 1st word problems LOL

The 2 bundled Move Controllers on Amazon or wherever are the exact same as the original PS3 model, like they still have a start / select button rather than a share / options button like on PS4.

Also, the PS4 dualshock charger won't charge these, you need the PS3 charging cable. The Move I got from CEX did not come with a cable, so be forewarned!

that being said, they are selling charging cradles for half nothing (like the one I got was an official one, and it was 4 quid)

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    The 2 bundled Move Controllers on Amazon or wherever are the exact same as the original PS3 model, like they still have a start / select button rather than a share / options button like on PS4.

Also, the PS4 dualshock charger won't charge these, you need the PS3 charging cable. The Move I got from CEX did not come with a cable, so be forewarned!

that being said, they are selling charging cradles for half nothing (like the one I got was an official one, and it was 4 quid)

wonder will the battery life be crap on the CEX ones though? have you tested this?

wonder will the battery life be crap on the CEX ones though? have you tested this?

Admittedly, i've only had a couple hours with the one i got from CEX, so I can't really give you an educated answer just yet :o

from what i've read, the batteries in the moves can deteriorate over time, so if Sony have had these move controllers secreted away for all these years, with the batteries installed in the units, then there may be degradation in the battery lifes anyhow - despite the shiny new packaging. That remains to be seen of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Hi Guys,
    Where is the best place to preorder this? I assume i wont get it day one, but where have people been ordering, amazon, gamestop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I got Two from CEX about a month ago, both working like a dream so far.

Picked two up in cex in Ennis, sure will do the job im sure, ok camera check, move controllers x2 check, psvr ahhhhhh hurry up Santa

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If you had the Driveclub season pass you can the VR game for 20, too late now as you needed it before today.

Spend a few hundred on a wheel so only regretting not buying the season pass a few weeks ago during the DLC sale a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Doge

No worries :)

It's two with the light up balls on the ends. The Navigation controller is a bit of a legacy from the PS3 era, not being used with VR as far as I know. I'm no expert but from my understanding, the move controllers need to have the light source for the PSVR headset to pick up in order to work.

Theres a tech demo that uses the navigation controller and one move controller in the PS3 sharpshooter, shown here at 10 mins:

But looks like it will be replaced by the PSVR Aim, which seems to have the controls built in:

It seems Sony have done their best to make the new gun controller look as little like an actual gun as possible. Unsurprising, given all the violence in the US as of late.

It actually looks more like a bicycle frame!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

This is probably a stupid question... But is it possible to play non-vr games using the VR headset? Like so it displays everything on the VR screen aswell as a tv system?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

This is probably a stupid question... But is it possible to play non-vr games using the VR headset? Like so it displays everything on the VR screen aswell as a tv system?

Yeah there's a cinematic mode to play regular PS4 games on a larger VR screen. Scale wud improve but resolution wud take a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dorianrf

Anyone know if any shops are gonna have demo PS VRs soon? I'd say most people are a bit tentative about buying them without trying them out first, thought GameStop and such would have them by now but that release date's getting closer and closer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Gonna be hard to demo it. Looking at the unboxings there seems to be a load of cables involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dorianrf

Could be true, I've seen videos of it shown off in the US and you need a fair bit of space for it. Doesn't look like GameStop would have the room to show it off, maybe Harvey Norman and the like will.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,166 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Still haven't decided if I am going to get this on release. I've had it pre-ordered since day 1, but I'm leaning towards waiting until next year now.

I don't think I would get much value out of it at the minute, so I might see how things play out over the next few months and decide in Feb/March.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Leaving it until next year myself.

Going to get the pro on release and a 4K tv in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

The new PS camera is 50euro in Smyths but 60euro in Gamestop, would Smyths get it to me on time for the 13th of October?... Still don't know where I am buying the VR as of yet...

Was tempted to order camera off Gamestop as they accept PayPal while Smyths do not... Just ordered Until Dawn from Gamestop for 20euro though...

Advertisement