Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bull [CBS] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Not the first American drama series to be titled Bull, as TNT will testify... ;)

However, that's the only thing these two dramas have in common. Indeed, the title of TNT's Bull didn't refer to any of its characters - but to a bull market, being made before 9/11 and the subsequent downturn.

I do like *this* Bull's tagline, "No rules... no apologies... all Bull". And the trailer isn't bad, either.

But of course, having Weatherly, a good trailer and a good tagline, and being based on the earlier experiences of one of CBS's biggest personalities, doesn't guarantee huge ratings... :o:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

So two episodes in. How are folk finding it?

Personally I hope it's just early day jitters but it's not doing anything for me. Find it too much of a mix of Lie to Me & Endgame but without any of the depth or great characters. Again it's early so who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I am very interested to see how Weatherly fares after NCIS in this mash of Lie to Me, Scandal and The Mentalist from Dr. Phil (based on his earlier job) and Paul Attanasio
    whats the show about ?

Bull and his team set up mirror juries to fake try cases and prove the innocence of those who would otherwise make a settlement or be found guilty. Along the way he may even find out who the guilty party is but that's a by product and at least so far was a throwaway afterthought where done with no real exposition.

All he's missing is Lightman's micro expression facial maps... Oh and some good character interaction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I find it a dumbed down Lie to Me but not a bad way to kill 40 minutes.

• Advertisement

Yup. Really hoping that will change or they'll start to build on the characters soon as I don't think just the stories will hold me for long.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's very "by the numbers" so far, the eccentric boss that knows something but doesn't share it, the woman who keeps track of him, the gay 1 and the socially awkward one.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Clareman wrote: »
    It's very "by the numbers" so far, the eccentric boss that knows something but doesn't share it, the woman who keeps track of him, the gay 1 and the socially awkward one.

The cast isn't gelling for me yet

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Very boring really by the numbers show and Weatherly is no Tim Roth when it comes to reading people.

The first episode was watched by 15.5 million people - but nearly two million of them chose not to stick around for the second episode.

As I said in post #2, basing it on Dr Phil's earlier experiences and having Weatherly, a good trailer and a good tagline doesn't automatically mean that it'll be a roaring success. And so it's proving... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TheCockpitGuy

But you have the lead in from the massive NCIS.

NCIS LA and NOLA got that same lead in and they are holding their own.

True enough the Weatherly interested has slackened off a lot in the first week but probably will come down to 10-11M when it settles. The other NCIS's had the same kind of numbers.

The bigger question is how will NCIS go over the course of this season with the death of Gary Glasberg and how will that effect Bull.

This weeks episode was fun but they really need to get a season overview arc now instead of the generic by the numbers weekly episode.

Yara Martinez from Jane the Virgin cast as Bull's ex - TV Line

13 million viewers for the third episode (after a week's break for the vice presidential debate) and 12.3 million for the fourth.

And reviews remain mixed to negative.

Ah, well...

Still waiting for it to take off. Has potential but is they don't hurry and start with the relationships or as above an arc this show is at risk of sinking. Not getting with Weatherly's character really although the latest episode did reveal a lot more about what drives him

It's dipped below 11 million viewers now - down almost a third on the first episode.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tuesday-final-ratings-november-22-2016/

So can we safely say that this will be the only season? :o:o;)

It's an enjoyable show but without a season arc it's basically the same story every week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's an enjoyable show but without a season arc it's basically the same story every week.
    This; I had high hopes and it was an interesting premise but there are literally no connection between the episodes and you could watch them out of order without losing anything.

It's not a bad show, kind of like Lie to Me but the lack of a overarching story line is killing it, it just goes from case to case now at this stage.

It starts on FOX UK on Friday January 13th at 10pm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And another episode which could be played anywhere in the playlist without feeling out of place (like the previous nine).

I think I've figured out what annoys me with the show beyond the lack of any type of meta plot and that's the perfect people. Bull and his team are always 110% correct, no character flaws, no real prejudices, never make a mistake and always the perfect people with the perfect opinion getting to the right answer catching the bad guys. Compare this to Elementary and the heroin addiction, wrong assumptions or Conviction with the rebelling against her mother, ex police who wants to believe police don't do things wrong, prosecutor who believes the evidence etc. and it's a clear difference in how the stories play out.

Nody wrote: »
    And another episode which could be played anywhere in the playlist without feeling out of place (like the previous nine).

I think I've figured out what annoys me with the show beyond the lack of any type of meta plot and that's the perfect people. Bull and his team are always 110% correct, no character flaws, no real prejudices, never make a mistake and always the perfect people with the perfect opinion getting to the right answer catching the bad guys. Compare this to Elementary and the heroin addiction, wrong assumptions or Conviction with the rebelling against her mother, ex police who wants to believe police don't do things wrong, prosecutor who believes the evidence etc. and it's a clear difference in how the stories play out.

Bull is based on Dr Phil and sums up how he sees himself to a tee I thinking so It's no wonder the show is following suit.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It starts on FOX UK on Friday January 13th at 10pm

And it's on UTV Ireland Be3 from Thursday 12th.

Back in America, viewing figures appear to have stabilised at around the 11-and-a-half million mark, as the season nears its midpoint. Plus, Weatherly believes that the show still has plenty to offer:

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/bull-michael-weatherly-future-cbs-series/

Dr Phil wrote last nights episode and I think say more about how he sees himself more than anything else.

Still nothing but story of the week episodes and pretty much the same story each week.

Not sure why I have stuck with it being honest and will probably drop it soon enough.

Afraid I've already dropped this one. Pity as I had hopes originally but it just never seemed to go anywhere. Might give it a shot again in a few months but somehow doubt it. Feel the name was prophetic.

Taltos wrote: »
    Afraid I've already dropped this one. Pity as I had hopes originally but it just never seemed to go anywhere. Might give it a shot again in a few months but somehow doubt it. Feel the name was prophetic.
    12 episodes in and there is still no meta plot nor reason to watch them in any specific order. I'll probably finish season 1 as I'm 12 episodes in but not expecting to bother with season 2.

Episode 14 and we might have the first story arch going beyond 1 episode...

Renewed for a second season.

Eliza Dushku joins the cast for a 3 episode arc at the end of season 1 and may become a series regular in season 2.

Benny's case is really interesting just a pity it took the whole season standalone episodes before getting to this point.

Also Eliza Dushku can't act to save her life the wrong actress cast for that character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I've watched up to episode 12 so far. I find it's an easy show to watch, and that's not a compliment. There's no tension, no struggle. Bull and his team either know everything or are able to easily find out what they need to know. Maybe it will improve in the second half but I expected the show to have more to offer at this point.

Advertisement