Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite Christmas Food

• 26-09-2016 10:29pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So over the past few years we've discussed our favourite movies, songs even decorations. This year I want to know what's your favourite Christmas food.

What's the one thing that as soon as you have it it's Christmas and it you might only have it at Christmas.

For me it's Caffrey's Snowballs. I love them they're no where as nice as they were years ago but then again is any chocolate is?

So what about ye? What's your Christmas food?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

There's a lot less food now that I eat only at Christmas, unlike when we were kids. But there's a few things that make Christmas for me.

Schloer. None of my family were big drinkers, and certainly not wine. This was our "fancy" drink and it only ever came out for Christmas and big birthdays. To this day I get a thrill when I have some.

Mince pies. Obviously.

Christmas night sandwich. We all have one. That one sandwich you manage to make out of leftovers and fit in somehow. Mine is Brennan's bread, turkey, ham, sliced roast potatoes and carrot and parsnip mash, with mayo. So. Good.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That sandwich sounds amazing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Loughc wrote: »
    That sandwich sounds amazing!!!

You have NO idea

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

For me the best part is lovely sandwiches with the left over meats, that's my food highlight. Optimum sandwich is made including turnover bread and salad cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Just remembered my other favourite, sherry trifel. Perfect desert after all the sandwiches! I'm not a fruit cake fan, so I make nigellas Yule log too as the alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

This thread makes me hungry :pac: im going to say the tubs of sweets. It used to be roses but in more recent years it's the celebrations and hero's. I have been known to make my christmas ham for the odd sunday dinner to cheer myself up, and I don't eat mince pies or christmas pudding or cake , so I suppose really the tubs of sweets are the only thing that I specifically eat that I can only buy at Christmas time ! And id have to second Loughc snowball suggetion! I love seeing them out in the shop ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Christmas cake, from childhood to now. We always wait til christmas eve to cut it and it's worth the wait. As a teenager it was hot turkey sandwiches on christmas eve, everyone would come home from the pub, turkey would be cooked and warm, sliced bread and coleslaw!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Stuffing! Yeah, you can have stuffing at any time of the year but it's never as good as Christmas stuffing. And I just realised that because I'm not spending Christmas at home this year I don't get my dad's stuffing. :(

My mothers Plum Pudding, with custard and cream. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

Snowballs, I kind of ruined it already by seeing them in a store out here recently, so good with a cup of tea.

Quality street, we never have them any other time of year. It used to be Coke and other fizzy drinks but now Im a (very) grown up I can drink that anything, so there! Cream soda for my dad, only at Christmas.

Bubbly, growing up in my house my folks drank Guinness and Vodka but on Christmas morning we got all sophisticated (pre celtic tiger) with bucks fizz made with the mankiest cheap cava you can imagine. It also gave the 16 year old me a massive head ache. Great way of turning you kids off booze.

Ham, ham and more ham. After a few years away I missed it so much that I would bring back here a ham for each month between trips. This would mean I had to check in another 25 kg bag, which had 6 hams and loads of white pudding. I had a ham problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Lol at the bag of hams. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

In seven years I never got stopped at arrivals.

Tips: Don't buy hams with a bone is as they may confiscate them at arrivals. Wrap the hams in tin foil the night before and leave in the fridge for last minute packing. Never freeze them as they can't be frozen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Mine would be mince pies. And as I only ever have them on Christmas day - mushy peas!

kitten_k wrote: »
    Mine would be mince pies. And as I only ever have them on Christmas day - mushy peas!

Oh, YES. And Club Orange!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

Irish coffee. just a bit of baileys, so many places ruin the cofee by putting too much in,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Giant Toblerone.
    I used to always get one in my sock as a kid and when I was a teenager I used go down early and look at all my presents from Santa(!) and bring my toblerone and a new book back up to bed. I'd eat half of it while reading, all before breakfast.

And I still do the same now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Mince pies. I'd have them all year if they were available.

Unlike others though, I can't stand leftovers in the days after, sandwich or not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I've nothing new to add - mine is the Christmas sandwich. I'm salivating here thinking of it. Soft white bread, turnover if you can get it. Butter on one side, mayo on the other. Smear of cranberry. And a mound of turkey, ham and stuffing - the sausage, herb and apple kind. King cheese and onion crisps, glass of milk. Good God.

I love this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Christmas Pudding, mince pies and my dad makes lovely potato stuffing, I don't eat mash potato all year around but I love his mashed potato stuffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

As crazy as its sounds - bread sauce.

Always reminds me off home and Christmas dinner, as it was the only time we ever had it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

Has to be the classic Christmas dinner starter of prawn cocktail. Full on 1970's stylee retro prawn cocktail. Mayo and red sauce mixed together to no particular measurements or rule just mix and taste, till you have the right shade of light pink :D. Iceberg lettuce, tiny bit of cucumber and chives if you have notions and all served in a martini glass or ice cream bowl. Just has to be done. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Coconut cremes were always a staple in our house for Christmas along with a box of lemons sweets ... and the blue tin of Danish cookies

Got the cookies last year for nostalgia, very disappointed

The Christmas sandwich though was always the winner, with a side of mixed pickles and beetroot and a huge big mug of tae.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Plum pudding and custard. I'm the only one who eats it in our house so I buy two individual size ones and have one on St. Stephen's Day and the other one a few says later. Delicious. Oh, Walnut Whips too, I always pick up a box of the at Christmas even though I don't buy them at any other time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

A friend of the family (who's 85 btw!) makes 14 Christmas puddings every year and gives them out to family and friends, so on Monday we got a sample few slices of one when he came to visit! He made them extra early this year so that they have plenty of time to mature - I tasted some last night though and its delicious already :D

Other food that I associate with Christmas is trifle, Christmas dinner, pringles (sour cream and onion), that salmon sensation from Lidl on crackers (like Carr's) - sooo yummy, mince pies, celebrations/miniature heroes (not so much roses anymore cos they gone to pot!)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Cork2015!

For me it has to be the Christmas packaged huge slab of madeira cake....

have the small madeira cakes throughout the year and im pretty sure they are the exact same ingredients but the child in me (in my head) feels like it tastes different and possibly just because its more "Christmassy"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

leahyl wrote: »
    Other food that I associate with Christmas is trifle, Christmas dinner, pringles (sour cream and onion), that salmon sensation from Lidl on crackers (like Carr's) - sooo yummy, mince pies, celebrations/miniature heroes (not so much roses anymore cos they gone to pot!)

Oh yeah....MMM! Trifle. God I love a good trifle, and it is definitely a Christmas treat. And same here with the sour cream and onion Pringles - they taste like Christmas to me, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

leahyl wrote: »
    A friend of the family (who's 85 btw!) makes 14 Christmas puddings every year and gives them out to family and friends, so on Monday we got a sample few slices of one when he came to visit! He made them extra early this year so that they have plenty of time to mature - I tasted some last night though and its delicious already :D

Fair play to him. Even making one pudding is tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,169 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I honestly can't really say one thing.
    I really enjoy the dinner smoked ham and Turkey with potato and bread stuffing and bread sauce. I also enjoy it cold.
    Then theirs the Christmas cake and puff pastry mince pies and we generally have a nice dessert or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I just love grazing and drinking brandy with baileys. Hic. It's a treat.

Unfortunately ANYTHING bar home made pudding is available all year round now.

I wish I could think of something special at Christmas besides over indulgence. lol.

• Advertisement
Advertisement