Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Opinions on Cider

• 22-09-2016 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

I'm going to have a crack at making some cider this season. Youtube and the tintertot in general seems to have so many variations of how to ferment cider that I don't actually know what way I should go about it.

Firstly, I have loads of apples available to me, both eating and cooking. I have a good set up for extracting the juice and it seems quite efficient. We are averaging 2 litres of clean juice for every 3kg of apples, which I was very surprised with.

What to do with the juice though to make cider from it?

Put it straight into a fermenter with an air lock and let the naturally occurring wild yeast and the natural sugars do their thing. I like this simple and natural approach but will it work

Is it necessary to add additional yeast and/or sugar? Would I need to kill the natural yeast first?

I'm not too worried about having it carbonated, as I can sort that at the bottling stage, but I like it flat and cloudy anyway.

So... How do you do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd get a cider yeast and add that first time out, to your main batch, and maybe leave 2-3l ferment by itself in another bottle.
    Then you'll know what the natural yeast in your area is like.

No need for adding sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Cider is pretty straight forward compared to brewing beer and wine, I find. You just add yeast really. There is usually plenty of fermentable sugar in apple juice already. Keep it simple, pick a type yeast and let it ferment. Wine yeast will ferment dry and beer or cider yeast will be slightly sweeter. If you want to add sugar you can just add table sugar. If you want to sweeten you can add an artificial sweetener at the bottling stage. Some cider yeasts come with sweetener. I prefer mine dry. As I said keep it simple and change one thing at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Thanbks for the advice,

Would you need to kill off the natural first before adding my own yeast.

I have some Camden tablets if I need to, or does it make any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Testacalda wrote: »
    Thanbks for the advice,

Would you need to kill off the natural first before adding my own yeast.

I have some Camden tablets if I need to, or does it make any difference

I'm starting a batch soon. First time so I'm going to going to add the camden tablet and add my own yeast to make sure

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ferg44

This is something Ive been wanting to try for a long time ..
    I usually just make do with the kit ciders ,( have my 2nd Finland cider bottled last weekend ) but I have a huge amount of cooking apples going to waste every year in the home orchard , normally under the lawnmower..!
    My problem is learning the best way to crush and extract out the juice ..
    How do you do it efficiently ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

I but the apples through a new clean garden shredder to make pulp. then Wrap the pulp in muslin sheets about 2 inches thick. Put boards between the layers of pulp and press them in a hydraulic press.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 matt007

As Testacalda,
    A car bottle jack and a 4x4 frame works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

I've just juiced about 20 litres and have added some camden. On Tuesday I'm going to add some white wine yeast I picked up.

Just a couple of questions:

1. about how long until the fermentation is finished? Different places online say anything from a week to months - I presume the longer timelines are for fermentation with wild yeast?

2. Once it's fermented and bottled how long till it's generally ok to drink? Weeks or months?

My OG is 1050, is that high enough to get 6%?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

I hope it's ok to ask questions on this thread. I have one more.

I am using apples from my own tree. They're eating apples, not super sweet but not cookers. A lot of people seem to use artificial sweetners in their cider.

I'd probably prefer not to. But at the same time I don't want something that's undrinkable. Can anyone give me a tip on how to judge what I might need? One fermentation has finished is it possible to tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

hooplah wrote: »

My OG is 1050, is that high enough to get 6%?

1050 finishing at 1000 will give you about 6.5%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

hooplah wrote: »
    I hope it's ok to ask questions on this thread. I have one more.

I am using apples from my own tree. They're eating apples, not super sweet but not cookers. A lot of people seem to use artificial sweetners in their cider.

I'd probably prefer not to. But at the same time I don't want something that's undrinkable. Can anyone give me a tip on how to judge what I might need? One fermentation has finished is it possible to tell?

taste it and see what its like, if too dry add a sweetener before bottling it

Advertisement